Prince still got "IT" after all these years

2»

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Putting the Cirque de Pooslskujuoioiolliiillellel and the National Football League together is like insisting on painting all your power tools hot pink...

Or putting hot dogs in a blender with ice cream. Or singing the National Anthem in French.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Putting the Cirque de Pooslskujuoioiolliiillellel and the National Football League together is like insisting on painting all your power tools hot pink...

Or putting hot dogs in a blender with ice cream. Or singing the National Anthem in French.

With ya on this one bro !
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    You had to be at the game to enjoy it -- where they issued Super Bowl Acid on graphic blotter paper. Apparently it got into Wrecks' Gatorade as well. :(
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Good one Demi:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited February 2007
    i don't think he faked his singing or guitar playing...they both sucked! maybe the strings were hard to control because of the rain. i had some real skin crawling moments there. i'm a string bender. prince-y to me has always had this 'i can play like hendrix' thing. it's annoying to say the least. his solos were almost unbearable. noodling at it's worst. but, his singing was actually worse! what a bone-biter!:rolleyes:
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    jkn wrote:
    The Cirque du Soleil thing before the game - that was annoying. Or maybe the camera's switching shots every 2 seconds was what made it so annoying...

Yeah, who came up with that? And Katie Curic at the pre-game show? Barf.

Come to think of it, the whole superbowl had a semi-**** theme to it. Even some of the commericals like the snicker bar one and the guys rubbing up against the Chevy was very weird. Of course, it was capped off by Prince.

Makes ya wonder what the target audience for the Superbowl has become.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    Yeah, who came up with that? And Katie Curic at the pre-game show? Barf.

Come to think of it, the whole superbowl had a semi-**** theme to it. Even some of the commericals like the snicker bar one and the guys rubbing up against the Chevy was very weird. Of course, it was capped off by Prince.

Makes ya wonder what the target audience for the Superbowl has become.

I think it had more to do with the location (Miami) than anything else.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    There is no one that will play the halftime show that will please everyone. And even though I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's and wasn't the biggest Prince fan, that was still a better show than last years Rolling Stones deal. But then again, I'm no Rolling Stones fan.

And as far as the National Anthem part goes....it was a LOT nicer to hear Billy Joel sing thru a machine than some no talent having **** clown screw it up by embellishing his/her voice and ruining the song. THAT alone was a nice change.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • sda2mike
    edited February 2007
    [
    And as far as the National Anthem part goes....it was a LOT nicer to hear Billy Joel sing thru a machine than some no talent having **** clown screw it up by embellishing his/her voice and ruining the song. THAT alone was a nice change.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that was cool! class act!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Prince still must have "it" as he sure can get a lot of discussion going about him.

He is talented. Yesterday was a performance, the rain soaked crowd seemed to like it.
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Prince did a really good job despite getting rained on the whole time.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2007
    I'll be honest, throughout the show I was waiting for someone to get electrocuted, especially when Prince dropped the mike stand towards the end of the show. Liquid and amps don't mix (or so what I was led to believe). Glad that nothing happened though.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    His Ashlee Simpson moment was spectacular. That's why I don't know what the "IT" is that he has. He was lip syncing.

ummm..wrong..that was NOT lip syncing
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    My wife and I were talking about the shock thing... I think it might be helping out that the mic's and guitar were wireless. I'm sure they had the resources to get gear that wouldn't kill them... :)

I've been shocked hard a number of times (nothing like 'kissing' a mic!) - and yes - it's true, electricity and gear usually don't mix.

I really didn't think he was lip syncing either... that seemed very 'live' to me - and he threw several asides in about the rain. One the guitar solos truly was awful - which I think was more due to the rain than anything.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    krabby5 wrote:
    ummm..wrong..that was NOT lip syncing

He was about 10 feet from a mic at one point while the back-up track was going and he ran up to it when he figured out what was going on.

They ALL do it, but yes, there was a back track the whole time.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2007
    Prince did a really good job despite getting rained on the whole time.

I didn't think you could even play in the rain.
  • sda2mike
    edited February 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    He was about 10 feet from a mic at one point while the back-up track was going and he ran up to it when he figured out what was going on.

They ALL do it, but yes, there was a back track the whole time.

?maybe he has a back up singer in place for moments like that? his singing was to authentically, awfully, off-key to be faked..IMHO of course:)
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    Maybe the backing track was intentionally awful and off key so everyone would be fooled?? ;)
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    I learned to dance listening to Purple Rain. I was the only music I could keep moving my feet, single step, to that clear beat.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    I can't believe all the Prince hate...:confused:

I was worried that they would get fried too.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    I think i just threw up in my mouth.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    I think i just threw up in my mouth.

didja get any onya?
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    I agree with the guitar playing....the bending was horrible. very pitchy..the kind of noises that my guitar makes:D

but he is a very good guitarist normally...maybe it was the rain..beats me
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Let's see, I've dissed Prince and David lee Roth in the same day----it's a good day.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Let's see, I've dissed Prince and David lee Roth in the same day----it's a good day.

:D:D:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    I can't believe all the Prince hate...

Prince is alright in my book.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2007
    Personally I loved the show...one of the better half-time shows since U2 in 2001(?).

I was begging for Darling Nikki to be played...now that would have woke up the FCC, and made the NFL blush!
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    Im certainly not a Prince fan per say.. He did have quite a few "good" songs as I was growing up, i.e Purple Rain, Raspberry Beret, Lil Red Corvette, Party Like It's 1999.. Nonetheless, he absolutely tore that guitar up.. That really was the best part of the show...