Prince still got "IT" after all these years

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
going back to his Purple Rain album, back in the 80s, he was great then, he still great today. I don't know how he managed to look the same, it was a great show, indeed.
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Probably go to see him this year and have a fun night out.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    Prince is very talented. In my view he was at his best with "graphitti bridge" and will probably never surpass that one.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited February 2007
    I'm not really a prince fan, but this was one of the better half-time shows in recent history.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    He may still have IT (whatever IT is) but does he still have his symbol?

tafkap.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    He rocked tonight.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited February 2007
    I hated the halftime show - sorry, go colts!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:

tafkap.jpg

Did you see his guitar on the rendition of Purple Rain, Shack? :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2007
    I liked the show too. Wasn't expecting much going in.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I thought it sucked, but then again im not old like you guys;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:

tafkap.jpg

The whole stage was set up as that symbol.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• shack
    edited February 2007
    polkatese wrote:
    Did you see his guitar on the rendition of Purple Rain, Shack? :)

Nope, didn't watch the halftime show.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    At least we didn't see his **** pop out or something. :p
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    The whole stage was set up as that symbol.

I was suprised they let him put his giant bisexual symbol on the field. I guess as long as its not a tasseled nipple, its ok. :)
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Did you guys watch the same halftime show I did? I don' tmind some Prince stuff, he can be OK, but some of those guitar "solos" were just god-awful. Just loud loud noise. It sounded like Marty McFly trying to show the kids in 1955 what rock and roll would be.

Also, it was dreadfully obvious that Prince was not actually playing that guitar. He stopped moving his hands several times while the sound he was supposedly making just kept right on playing, then he'd start mimicking playing again with NO noticable addition to the music.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    edited February 2007
    There is a girl guitarist in his band that does the tough stuff.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    "See the little
    with the earrings and the makeup", he's got no talent.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    Prince still has it after all these years.

He should go on a strick regimen of penicillin to treat it before it settles into the spinal column and becomes untreatable.

I'm not a doctor, but I know what I saw on TV.
    Sal Palooza
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    TheReaper wrote:
    I'm not really a prince fan, but this was one of the better half-time shows in recent history.

Agreed. I don't like Prince at all, but dammit, you gotta admit he's one of the most gifted artists, songwriters, and showmen in the biz. A weird dude, for sure, but I bought one of his concert DVDs and it's incredible. The Purple Rain album is one of the all-time best. Everything else he's done is not for me.

Great halftime show. The stage itself was the highlight of the show. Hell, you know you're a badass when you bring your own stage with you.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    His Ashlee Simpson moment was spectacular. That's why I don't know what the "IT" is that he has. He was lip syncing.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    He reminds me of 'The Mango' back when SNL was actually good
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    -Cody

haha

snl101.jpg
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    He did a very good job.
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    I thought it was a really good set. Then again - I've liked Prince since that whole Purple Rain thing. Bad acting, but good album. He had a string of good albums after that until about 1990 or so.

More impressive is that no one on the stage fell in the rain... we thought one of the dancers was going to go down at one point...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    I could never stand him (or it). I think the show sucked.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Does anyone else notice that he is slowly, but surely morphing into Little Richard?

According to ancinet Sumerian texts, the completion of this cycle will be immediately followed with the sun being consumed by the two ancient wolves Ragkask and Irkalsoist.

And a whole bunch of locusts. That shoot lasers from their eyes. Eyes made of poisonous daggers.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkThug
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    -Cody

One of my guests said the exact same thing. Then we were all laughing our asses off when he did the whole 'phallic shadow' thing on the blowing sheet.
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    According to ancinet Sumerian texts, the completion of this cycle will be immediately followed with the sun being consumed by the two ancient wolves Ragkask and Irkalsoist.

And a whole bunch of locusts. That shoot lasers from their eyes. Eyes made of poisonous daggers.

Will they be able to time that for another SuperBowl halftime show...or will it be Pay For View?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    "....that little **** got his own jet airplane...that little
    **** he's a millionaire ":)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Will they be able to time that for another SuperBowl halftime show...or will it be Pay For View?

Actually... it will be televised on your local public access station during Halftime. A couple of high school kids named Dylan and Todd will "produce" it all the way up to the point where they are shot with lasers and eaten by wolves. However, if the locusts happen to find their way to your neighborhood, the telecast will be subject to a local black-out.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    I should have clarified earlier - I've always liked his music and he surrounds himself with good musicians - the man himself, he's a nut... ;)

The Cirque du Soleil thing before the game - that was annoying. Or maybe the camera's switching shots every 2 seconds was what made it so annoying... Much more so than Prince's set. ;)