Got my first ticket.

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    As someone that had 13 tickets in a single year for speeding (drove for a living and always late for appointments) my suggestions are..........Get the license renewed right away, then ask for some type of diversion/probation with expungment upon completion. It is done in most places for first offenses all the time, but expect ot pay the fine or diversion fees. Call the court clerk in your county and ask how it is normally done.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    ok we've all gotten speeding tickets at one time or another. I haven't in several years.. but i have in the past gotten tix.

but, it still doesn't bode well for you driving with an expired license now does it?

either way.. lesson learned.. get your **** to the DMV ASAP FYI SDA SRS MP3 LOL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    Here's another thought... pay the ticket and move on with your life. You were speeding, you knew you were over the limit, and you got caught.

I know I drive over the speed limit, but when I get caught, I'm not going to cry about it. I got caught once, and it was my own fault...
    Who the hell is crying about it?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    Here's another thought... pay the ticket and move on with your life. You were speeding, you knew you were over the limit, and you got caught.

I know I drive over the speed limit, but when I get caught, I'm not going to cry about it. I got caught once, and it was my own fault...

Inexperience I'm sure but bad advice. :eek: :)

Thing is, you can take an hour out of your day, talk to them and loose the points and maybe even the fine OR pay the fine and take your points. They may not seem like much but next mistake and you may not be able to afford insurance any more. Surely it is worth a small field trip to stay in the good. Its not that big of a deal and is actually a fun experience listening to the other criminal drivers and their excuses/convictions in the courtroom. Worst case you find out they wont do anything for you. This isn't that big of a thing.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    Inexperience I'm sure but bad advice. :eek: :)

Thing is, you can take an hour out of your day, talk to them and loose the points and maybe even the fine OR pay the fine and take your points. They may not seem like much but next mistake and you may not be able to afford insurance any more. Surely it is worth a small field trip to stay in the good. Its not that big of a deal and is actually a fun experience listening to the other criminal drivers and their excuses/convictions in the courtroom. Worst case you find out they wont do anything for you. This isn't that big of a thing.
    madmax

Why put my time, the courts time, the cops time, and everything else into fighting it? The law is in place for a reason... and if you get caught disobeying that law, I feel that you should face your consequences.

Again, I speed just as much as everyone else in this thread (okay, well... I keep it to 71 on the interstate, which is a far cry from 88!)... I'm just saying that you might as well just pay the ticket, and deal with the points. They do go away after a while...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I once was doing 125 mph in a 55 mph zone on 95 before the first turn of a S curve by next curve slowed to about 100 mph when.... I seen the high beams of a car behind me I thought what someone wants to pass me???? Moved over one lane then seen his Blue and Red lights... Now thinking **** so pulled over and said to myself if he knows how fast this thing goes, then he needs to know just how safe this car is. So I stopped as fast as that car would before locking up the brakes. Before his steps out of his car he on is bull horn saying more over to right, now I say to myself F*CK his PISSED. Later he said do you know how fast you're going I said not sure but as fast the car could go and be safe in the corners, he wrote me a ticket for 75mph in a 55 I said THANK YOU.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    court supervision - ask for it by name..... (there may be a class you can take as well.)

With court supervision you typically pay the fine plus court costs and after 6 months the ticket drops off your record provided you get no more tickes during that time. Very easy and your insurance will never know you were ticketed. (also if you get another ticket - they typically won't pull up your old court supervision unless you are an **** and they are looking for every opportunity to work you over.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • madmax
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    Why put my time, the courts time, the cops time, and everything else into fighting it? The law is in place for a reason... and if you get caught disobeying that law, I feel that you should face your consequences.

I understand your point, and I used to feel the same way but you have to try to get a break when you can because points can add up real fast if you become unlucky.

Lets just say my last ticket was for running a red light and I got caught with one of those stupid cameras. It was a riot. I started off by proclaiming "I'm guilty. I'm probably the only one in this courtroom who really deserves the ticket they got". I went on with how I saw that it turned red and ran it on purpose because no one was around. Since my ticket said it had been red for 3 seconds and everyone elses was .01 to .04 seconds and they were using every excuse in the book while still getting the full fine I figured I would explain why THEY shouldn't get a ticket and I should. I mean, my data was WAY worse than any of theirs so I was going to get the full treatment anyway. The judge liked it and only made me pay court costs. I think everyone after me got off too.

I'm just saying its not cut and dry and certainly its worth the effort to keep your record clean if you can. :)

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    I guess.... you can do your thing and I'll do mine!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    edited February 2007
    Taking full penalty isn't much of a thing... :)

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    i know this is going to make me an unpopular fellow here, but i still think it needs to be said. ive noticed the majority of responses have been about ways of avoiding or lessening the penaltys for your ticket. not simply accepting responsibility for your actions and moving on. i know 16mph over isnt reckless driving or anything of that nature. And anyone can forget to renew there lisence it happens. but i also feel that if we dont start learning to take responsibility for our actions early on, it starts to become a way of life which is imho a bad thing. there is a reason for speed limits it saves lives. DRIVE 55 STAY ALIVE you will be a better man if you own up to your actions and move on. and you are a whole less likely to repeat the same offense if there is a penalty to be paid. rather than hey i got over on the system woo hoo. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:

Again, I speed just as much as everyone else in this thread

So every time you go more than 5 mph over the speed limit. Why don't you go straight to the police station and tell them you were speeding. It doesn't matter if there is a cop there or not, you are still breaking the law, right?

I guess your a type of person who don't think they are breaking the law till they get caught...

Sid the kid, fight this ticket, you have the right to.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • madmax
    edited February 2007
    Snow, you'll never be unpopular fellow around here.
    madmax

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Thank you Snow! Everyone in here is telling Sid how to get off easy after getting caught breaking the law.

You want to catch a break? DON'T SPEED! If you do, & get caught, shut up, pay up & stop speeding!

Or continue to speed & I hope you constantly get caught & your insurance goes through the roof. Once that happens you will finally grow a brain & probably stop speeding.

In case you can't tell, I have NO sympathy for speeders. One day you will hit something or someone & then it will be too late to wish you weren't speeding.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2007
    I think it can go both ways. I got stopped this weekend going 59 in a 40 (actually doing more like 65, but he helped me out). It was my first ticket in 16 years of driving. It's not that big of a deal and I was upset at myself more than anything. Until ,as the cop gave me the ticket, he TOLD me to take it to court. I asked him why and he said, "Because I won't show up to court." I then talked to a buddy of mine who is a cop and he said the reason that cops don't show up to court is because it is usually scheduled on their day off and they are paid a flat fee that is nowhere near what they should be getting.

Do I realize I was at fault and broke the law? Absolutely! But should I turn myself in for speeding everythime I want to pass a tractor trailer on the highway? Hell no. Needless to say, i am going to court.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • McLoki
    edited February 2007
    snow wrote:
    there is a reason for speed limits it saves lives. DRIVE 55 STAY ALIVE you will be a better man if you own up to your actions and move on.

Couldn't disagree more. (and no, your opinion does not make you unpopular - just wrong.. :) sorry couldn't resist.

in all seriousness - lives are saved by most of the traffic travelling at the same speed. If you are on an interstate and 95% of the people are going 75 - it is most likely that the person going 55 is going to be the cause of or involved in any accidents that occur.

The 55mph speed limit was imposed to save gas, not lives. Our interstate system could easily handle traffic with triple digit speeds (not that almost any of our drivers could... ).

Just a different opinion - not any more right or wrong than your own. I would not suggest breaking the law or hating the police because Trey got a ticket. He got caught and he owned up to it. It is no crime to follow laws put in place that keep the money where it was intended to go (local municipalites) and not the insurance companies. (talking about the court supervision that I suggested earlier)

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • madmax
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz, anything over 33 1/3 is speeding. nuff said...

• McLoki
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I more prefer CD speeds... :)
  • snow
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    Snow, you'll never be unpopular fellow around here.
    madmax
    thanks max. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Speeding I have speed in my life had HP behind my ****. I can tell you I have prevented more accidents then been in, the worst accident I been in wasn't my fault and I wasn't speeding. At times in my life drove upward of 65k a year so odds are you will have one some day. But when I speed it would have killed me if something with wrong so I wouldn't be typing this.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Speed limit laws on the interstate systyem have NOTHING to do with safety. In upper East Tennessee they just lowered the speed limit on I-81 from 70 to 60 for cars and 55 for big rigs. Anyone care to guess why?

To help meet Air Quality Standards.

Pfffft.... What a crock.

You do-gooders who want all the speeders to pay-up with their tail between their legs....remember our legal system is an adversarial legal system. It is the right of every citizen charged with any offense to challenge the charge. It is what makes the system work.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    :eek: Umm how fast does a cd spin?:eek: ;):D
    madmax wrote:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    :eek: Umm how fast does a cd spin?:eek: ;):D

Not as fast as you might think. 200-500 rpm depending on which part of the CD is being read.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Well I state Sid fight the ticket ask for court date, when you get the date then ask to reschedule 98% sure the cop will not show. Ticket is over.

Ok reason his age the insurance industry which feels it needs to rape him because he has a V8 engine and he's young F the system one ticket on you record you're Screwed so much that you can't afford insurance. You drive without insurance you're caught one day because of something outside of your control someone hits you. You lose your license you can't work you're pissed at the system and you rob a bank. So you're out of the system and steal a old ladies pocket book Cathy's in fact, she moved from Boston. So Cathy happy because you didn't fight ticket, but didn't see the whole picture.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• snow
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more. (and no, your opinion does not make you unpopular - just wrong.. :) sorry couldn't resist.

in all seriousness - lives are saved by most of the traffic travelling at the same speed. If you are on an interstate and 95% of the people are going 75 - it is most likely that the person going 55 is going to be the cause of or involved in any accidents that occur.

The 55mph speed limit was imposed to save gas, not lives. Our interstate system could easily handle traffic with triple digit speeds (not that almost any of our drivers could... ).

Just a different opinion - not any more right or wrong than your own. I would not suggest breaking the law or hating the police because Trey got a ticket. He got caught and he owned up to it. It is no crime to follow laws put in place that keep the money where it was intended to go (local municipalites) and not the insurance companies. (talking about the court supervision that I suggested earlier)

Michael
    I dont disagree with the statement that if you are hindering a constant flow of traffic that you may well cause an accident. as far as this goes (The 55mph speed limit was imposed to save gas, not lives) this well may have been the driving force behind this law. But 55 versus 75 does save lives. it may be a side effect of the law but it works. and yes i think if you feel that you were wronged by getting a speeding or any other ticket you should go to court. but not if you deserved it and am now looking for a way out of it:p On a lighter note here is a joke. there was a fellow that decided to go the local grocery to get a sixpack of soda at 2:30 am. he goes in gets his items and drives up to the stop sign slows down and looks both ways, nothing coming he drives off. across the street hidden by a local taco bell is a cop. he spots the fellow not stopping at the stop sign. pulls out turns his lights on and pulls him over. the fellow ask him what did i do? the officer replys you failed to come to a complete stop.the fellow now is cranky and says what the hell diffrence does it make?. its 2:30 in the morning and aint nothing coming either way. the cop pulls out his billy club and starts beating him on the head, after about 20 whacks with the club, the officer asks him now do you want me to slow down or do you want me to stop? :D REGARDS SNOW
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2007
    Always fight a ticket! Even if your not going to win they will generally lower it, my first ticket I had no idea what to do. I faught it, had no excuse for speeding, and they lowered it $50, plus it took close to a year for my court date. So I paid $50 less, had about a 11 month wait period, then had another month after court to pay it. Even if you don't get it lowered that still means you have the money in your pocket longer then if you paid immediately.

I also recommend a good radar detector (as long as your not in Virginia) if you are speeding, and do some research on cop cars. Since I got my radar detector I have yet to get a ticket, it has been a little over 2.5 years. There was also a site online that gave locations of where cops like to hide in different towns and highways, you just looked up your area.

One more thing, to those people who are going to say that radar detectors promote reckless driving, it is just the opposite. I have not gotten a ticket or been in an accident since I got my detector. The reason is that the detector does not pickup everything, ex. a officer using pulsing radar. For this reason I pay attention much more to the road, what cars are doing in front of me and in back of me, as well as cars coming out of streets, onramps, etc.

You can also research ways to fight it. One popular way is excessive motions for discovery...my brother has gotten out of two this way.

Jared
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2007
    Just because the cop doesn't show doesn't mean he wins by default. I believe it depends on the state, but one ticket I fought in MA the cop didn't show, they have a deputy assigned specifically to go to court to represent the officer. I asked my friends father (a judge) if this was ok and it is apparently common.

If you keep pushing the date back with motions for discovery sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle, or they cancel on you. Most of the time you just never hear about it again.

Jared
  • snow
    edited February 2007
    Gaara wrote:
    Just because the cop doesn't show doesn't mean he wins by default. I believe it depends on the state, but one ticket I fought in MA the cop didn't show, they have a deputy assigned specifically to go to court to represent the officer. I asked my friends father (a judge) if this was ok and it is apparently common.

If you keep pushing the date back with motions for discovery sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle, or they cancel on you. Most of the time you just never hear about it again.

Jared
    any other helpful hints on how to get away with other crimes?:) SNOW
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    snow wrote:
    any other helpful hints on how to get away with other crimes?:) SNOW

Move to Alaska...............I've heard thats what most do.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Will it's worked in the 2 states I lived in as far as the no cop / no case.

BTW doesn't the Carolina's don't report speeding tickets to insurance companies. They used to be like that years ago.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer