Got my first ticket.

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,567
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ah well... my fault.

Was going 16 over. *sigh*

Officer said I wouldnt of gotten anything if my license hadnt expired 9 days before. Who has time to go to the DMV? I guess I do... Monday.

Ill be rocking the speed limit from now on.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2007
    bummer
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    What was that I learned in traffic school... an example of how to get 3 tickets for idling.

(1) blocking traffic
    (2) ?
    (3) going too slow
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    The officer was lying. He still would have given you a speeding ticket.

BTW -- speeding tickets don't slow people down. If you're a speeder now, you'll be speeding until you get real old, so don't delude yourself into thinking you're gonna start driving the speeding limit from now on. Join the club.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2007
    ^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    BTW -- speeding tickets don't slow people down. If you're a speeder now, you'll be speeding until you get real old, so don't delude yourself into thinking you're gonna start driving the speeding limit from now on. Join the club.

^^^^

Sid: You'll make an effort immediately after the ticket but it won't last..

When I got a speeding ticket, I drove the speed limit for about 2 days after. After that it was back to "normal" speed..:D
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    I can totally see that happening.

And I know it will eventually be that way. However, I am going to try especially since I dont want my insurance to be any higher... and a new truck eventually as well.

Either way... I understand breaking the speed limit is against the law - but if you arnt driving wrecklessly or causing immediate danger other than speeding... I know people that are far* more dangerous going under the speed limit than over.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:

Couldn't agree more with that statement. 16 over really isnt too bad. I just try to be costantly aware of my surroundings(look for the cops on the side of the road).
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    My local county now allows tickets to be paid online. Sort of a "Ticket & Click-it" campaign. He was doing you a favor, who wants to get to work early anyway.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2007
    Fight the ticket (plead not guilty). The prosecutor will reduce the charge to 10 over without much effort at all on your part.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    rskarvan wrote:
    Fight the ticket (plead not guilty). The prosecutor will reduce the charge to 10 over without much effort at all on your part.

Probably will reduce to nothing if it's his first ticket, which it is.
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    Im definitely going the lawyer route.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007

No need for a lawyer, just go yourself and plead it.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 564
    edited February 2007
    You will probably gety 10-15 solicitations from lawyers in the mail in the next few days offering to take care of this for you. For $150-$250 they will take care of the fine and get it reduced to a non-moving violation. At least that is what happened in Raleigh when my son got a ticket and "forgot" to mention it to us.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    simm wrote:
    You will probably gety 10-15 solicitations from lawyers in the mail in the next few days offering to take care of this for you. For $150-$250 they will take care of the fine and get it reduced to a non-moving violation. At least that is what happened in Raleigh when my son got a ticket and "forgot" to mention it to us.

Blah, can't blame him for "forgetting" to mention the ticket. I know when I got my first few I always ran to the mailbox to get the court documents and such so the parents wouldn't see. The questions started coming when the insurance began to skyrocket. :D
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:

Maybe not. There have been plenty of times I was going to give a warning (especially for 16 over) but the DL came back suspended. I still may have for just an expired DL if all else was good and you were a nice guy.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    ^^^^

Sid: You'll make an effort immediately after the ticket but it won't last..

When I got a speeding ticket, I drove the speed limit for about 2 days after. After that it was back to "normal" speed..:D

I did that too until I started to see accident fatalities. I drive maybe 5 to 10 over tops...being honest.:o
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    Don't do that, its a waste and being a new driver the judge will probably be harder on you. Don't just pay the ticket either. Choose to go to court. You will go to court and the judge will ask you how you plead. Plead guilty with an explanation. The judge will ask you what your explanation is. Just tell them something like "I was in a hurry and wasn't watching my speed. It WILL NOT happen again." then shut up. Typically judges really hammer you if you make up an excuse or try to explain anything. They like a short honest answer with no bs. You will probably only have to pay court costs and get no points. Points are what you should be worried about. Of course some judges are going to do whatever they were going to do anyway but there is nothing you could do in that case. This works especially well with female judges. I've had to do this a few times. Oh yea, dress up, that makes all the difference because it shows you are taking the whole thing seriously. Trust me on this one.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:

I drove fast as hell when I first started driving and youre right, the first few tickets didnt slow me down. However when my insurance jumped to about $300 a month, that did the trick.

Now that I have a CDL and tickets can cost me my job, you bet Ive slowed down a ton!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    $300 / Month ??? ... That's a lot of audio gear you never got try ...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    If you have a good lawyer (not an ambulance chaser) this can smooth the way in traffic court. Even on a first offense. First of all, if it is like most courts, people with lawyers get to go first. The judges don't want them sitting there all day because it bogs the system down. Otherwise you can sit there all day waiting for your turn. By the time you get there he/she may have heard all the BS and be in a bad mood. Second, a good lawyer knows the terminology and knows what to ask for and what the judge is willing to grant. The last ticket I got was for an illegal lane change, speeding and no tail light. If I had plead guilty the fines would have been $500 and higher insurance. My lawyer got the lane change dropped, I fixed the taillight before court (I had been rear-ended and the body shop didn't replace it) and we got a 30 day diversion on the speeding. If I went 30 days without another ticket, the violation went off my record. I paid $98 in court costs and the violation is gone.

He has worked with several friends that I have recommend to him usually for a nominal fee and gets them the best possible outcome.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Here's my take.....

Go to court, plead guilty and be polite. In SC, if you plead guilty it's pretty standard to half the fine and points.

I mean, if you want to go the lawyer route, by all means, however, out of pocket you are looking at paying him probably what the fine amounted to anyhow....as far as the moving violation, it's still going to, most likely, affect your insurance regardless.

YMMV, though.

Oh, and the speeding thing. Yeah, you CAN drive the speed limit. It takes discipline and a concious effort to decide what you want to spend your money on, fines and insurance or something that YOU want.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    Buddy, you don't need a lawyer for this kind of speeding ticket. That would be a complete waste of hard earned cash. If you are really afraid of going in on your own, bring a parent. I got a ticket for wearing headphones(yes, I know, I was retarded...well, I still am) when I first got my license. My mother came along and single handily got my money back ( thanks Mom!).

Since we are talking about tickets, what the worst speeding ticket you have gotten? The worst for me was 88 in a 65. I believe I was 1 mph away from losing my license:o . Damn State Cops!;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    Show up in court with a parent/priest/rabbi/fill-in-the-blank and hope to get a reduced fine ?

Heck no !

Call up a Traffic Law Center, or whatever bogus law office that works out of your area, pay a couple of hundred bucks, and it gets reduced to an EVN:
    "Excessive Vehicular Noise".

You don't have to show up in court, no points on your license, no muss, no fuss.

Don't waste your time or money showing up in court. Get a judge having a bad hair day and you'll get the shaft.
    Sal Palooza
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2007
    Check into getting a "diversion" from the prosecutors office. This way, it never shows up on your driving records. Shouldn't be any problem at all.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    my worst was 90 in a 65. Got an illegal passing at the same time...fun times
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    I got pulled over Thursday, 65 in a 55. Same speed i go to work every morning. It was very dark and the SUV cop tailgated me for 2 miles before pulling me over. I get about two warnings a year.
    It's the car.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    Here's another thought... pay the ticket and move on with your life. You were speeding, you knew you were over the limit, and you got caught.

I know I drive over the speed limit, but when I get caught, I'm not going to cry about it. I got caught once, and it was my own fault...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Now there is something to be proud of.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    I drove fast as hell when I first started driving and youre right, the first few tickets didnt slow me down. However when my insurance jumped to about $300 a month, that did the trick.

Geez! I WISH my payment was $300 a month!

I have a clean driving record and I'm still paying $485 a month. Granted, my wife is on there too but without her, I'd still be ap around $330 a month.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    scottvamp wrote:
    I got pulled over Thursday, 65 in a 55. Same speed i go to work every morning. It was very dark and the SUV cop tailgated me for 2 miles before pulling me over. I get about two warnings a year.
    It's the car.

My only ticket in a car was a 66 in a 55. Yeah, the cop hit me with an 11 mph speeding ticket. Jerk.

The worst bit is I was 19 at the time and driving a red Mustang. No crashes, no other moving violations and my insurance jumped to $1800 every 6 months.

I was so damn mad.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,