prospective house

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Looking at this place, pictures are attached.

It's a 2br, has living room, dining room, kitchen, and bath downstairs. No upstairs bath. Approx 1054sq ft, with partial basement and attached carport.

Dimensions of rooms,

Living room - 10'3x14'11
Dining Room - 11'9x14'5
Kitchen - 9'10x11'9
Bath - 5'4x6'3
Bed1 - 11'10x11'7
Bed2 - 10'2x14'11

What do you guys think? It needs some inside work, but most of it is cosmetic and I can take care of it or live with it.

It's listed for $43,900, and I made a full-price offer on it, contingent on them adding heat to the upstairs and fixing some windows that have issues. All in all about $1500 in repairs.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Not bad for a starter. Owning is always better than renting. Since you're not worried about school district, etc. that's a plus. Small yards are good, low maintenance, etc. Make sure you get them to fix the mentioned items. I would have offered them 93% of asking price, which is about the average sale/asking price ratio. It's a buyer's market right now, you have a lot of leverage. If they balk at anything, tell them you'll have to think about it. Call later and withdraw your offer. They'll come back to you.

Good luck Noah!
    Carl

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    No fear of getting lost in the bathroom....;) ..........I hope the deal goes the way you want.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Nice starter, can I ask where that is city or town wise?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• nadams
    edited February 2007
    I was going to make a lower offer, but I'm also asking for 3% seller's assist, so that gets factored in, too.

Steve- It's in Berwick, PA. It's not the best part of town, but it's a far cry from the worst!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    How does the roof look?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    I was going to make a lower offer, but I'm also asking for 3% seller's assist, so that gets factored in, too.

Steve- It's in Berwick, PA. It's not the best part of town, but it's a far cry from the worst!
    I'm familiar with the area, good price a starter. Carl is right it is definitely a buyers market especially in PA . . .if the seller doesn't do exactly as you've requested lower your price by atleast 5% that is still staying reasonable with the 3% settlement help. Don't forget to get a really reputable home inspector to go over the house with a fine tooth comb. I Thank God that we had an inspector that really stood by his work. Our brand new heating system wasn't keeping the house warm. Our inspector came back in and upgraded the electric heat on the heat pump (heat pumps suck BTW) and billed the sellers for the parts & labor.

How much are your real estate taxes?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Heatpumps don't suck I love them, but they don't work when the temp outside is too low. If under 32f then you need to be working on emergency heat system. My heatpump works 98% but if I need it then my emergency system is electric this will be 6 times more electric then when my HP is working.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Heatpumps don't suck I love them, but they don't work when the temp outside is too low. .

Right now it's in the single digits here in PA. Heats pumps here aren't the best option because you have to have a supplemental heater sized to heat the whole house. The investment in a heat pump takes about ten years or more to pay back. Noah will probably be long gone into a bigger home by then.

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    That's a $350,000 house in my area. No, I'm not kidding.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Polkfest PA 2008? Living room has stellar audio dimensions, as does the 2nd bedroom.

Oh yeah babe.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Good idea, Russ.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Heatpumps don't suck I love them, but they don't work when the temp outside is too low. If under 32f then you need to be working on emergency heat system. My heatpump works 98% but if I need it then my emergency system is electric this will be 6 times more electric then when my HP is working.
    Steve I think HPs were designed for the warmer climate regions. The problem here is that it can stay in the 30s for weeks at a time and the heat pump goes into defrost mode regularly and when it does, it blows cold air for two to five minutes. The good thing about having an all electric house is that I only get charged 9 kilowatthrs for every 13 that I use. It's some kind of special federal incentive program t o have all electric homes.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:

Easily 350-400k in my area as well. Nice little starter. My question on a house like that, in an area like that where the house is only worth $44,000, how would you go about upgrading the house but still staying reasonable so you don't put more money into the house than you could get back?

For instance, you buy the house for 44k, redo the kitchen for say 10k(new floor, cabinets, appliances, plumbing, electrical should cost around that). Basically you just increased to 54k. Now the house needs a new roof, another 4k, now you are at 58k. How do you go about upgrading a house like that, never understood how they hold their value.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    I see a lot of updating that needs to be done, but with some smart purchasing and DIY, it can be done pretty cheaply.

I'd probably blow out that wall between the kitchen and the living room (or at least make it a huge arch) as part of a kitchen downstairs redo. Stock cabs and counters from HD or Lowes should be a pretty cheap option for a kitchen remodel.

And paint goes a long way to freshening things up.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    Right now it's in the single digits here in PA. Heats pumps here aren't the best option because you have to have a supplemental heater sized to heat the whole house. The investment in a heat pump takes about ten years or more to pay back. Noah will probably be long gone into a bigger home by then.

Carl

You guy's are 100% correct with HP's, I wouldn't have one too far up north or anywhere where it gets in the 30's or below for more then a couple of hours. My thinking Delaware was ok for a HP but I not 100% about the climate there. I wouldn't think a HP would work in mid PA, I would like an oil fired baseboard heat system myself.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Yep. Here too... When I saw the price I was shocked.:eek: You can't even buy a trailer here for that. Good luck. Ownership is a whole new world.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    Yep. Here too... When I saw the price I was shocked.:eek: You can't even buy a trailer here for that. Good luck. Ownership is a whole new world.

Florida...California...

I can hardly rent a space for my boat/motorhome for that much a year !

by the way...boat is for sale !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2007
    350 where I'm at buys 2400sq ft with a big pool, in a neighborhood with doctors, lawers, and other professional types.

There's one for sale right down the steet. I'd like a neighbor with a louder system than mine. :D
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    $43.9 unfortunately wouldn't buy a decent dog house here ... especially when property with nothing on it is ~$200k / acre ...
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. The heat is gas hot air, which is a big plus. Like I said, there is a lot of cosmetic work to be done... and every room in the original section of the house is paneled over the plaster, so that may come down (especially in the audio rooms!).

I'm thinking the SDA's are going to live in the living room :D

The main house roof is pretty good, the inspector I brough in said no issues there. But all the auxiliary roofs would need replaced in the next few years. No issues there, as the sq footage on those is minimal, and I can do that myself. I'm thinking that a few years down the road, that carport will be torn down and replaced with a full garage. I think I'll at least sheet the walls with something more than that plastic crap.

I still haven't heard from them about my offer, though, so I don't know that I have it, yet!

And, it may seem like 20 yo is young to be buying a house, but when I look at a $400 mortage payment, or a $400 rent payment, it's easy for me to see which I'd rather have. They have my mortgage estimated at right around $400, including taxes and insurance escrow. Taxes on this property are listed at $918/year
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    It would be fun to fix up. Just make sure the roof is solid.
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    It would be fun to fix up. Just make sure the roof is solid.

The main house roof looks good. I was up in the attic with the inspector, and the sheeting looks much newer, so it was replaced not too long ago. All in all, nothing in the house really scared me. I wouldn't even be concerned with the heat, but it's required by the bank to have the upstairs heated.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    $918 in Real Estate Taxes ??? ... Arghhh ... Can you save the house next door for me ?
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2007
    And, it may seem like 20 yo is young to be buying a house

I knew someone that did it. I got my first one at 27, and wished I had bought earlier.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    I bought my first house brand new at 23 years old, right at 1000sf. Second morgage and loans, did alot of improvment. But after 9 years, a small house was a small house and i was lucky to break even.
    But same as Rivrrat, you can buy a mansion for $350k here and thats with prices tripleing in the last 5 years. Of cousre, low paying job area.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    You can never jump in to buy a house too soon, IMO. I have 2 houses, and I'm only 25. Got my first one at 21.

Just check the foundation. That can be a killer if it's cracked or about to cause problems. Almost everything else, (HVAC, ELEC, WINDOWS, Walls, kitchen bath...) can be fixed yourself, with relatively low costs. What do houses in that area comp out at in "Like New" condition? I might consider that too, for resale value... or rental value if you don't sell and go that route.

Regardless, a nice new kitchen, a wall here or there moved, and a new bathroom, paint and new flooring, you'll be set for a while!

Good luck
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    $918 in Real Estate Taxes ??? ... Arghhh ... Can you save the house next door for me ?

Yeah man Jersey RE taxes are rediculous. My brother-in-law's taxes went from $5200 to $7500 per year in Mechantville NJ. My house was appraised at $214,000 my RE & School taxes are $898 per year that is one of the main reasons we moved here.

There is a house down the street up for sale by REMAX, do you want me to put a good word in for you?
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    And, it may seem like 20 yo is young to be buying a house, but when I look at a $400 mortage payment, or a $400 rent payment, it's easy for me to see which I'd rather have. They have my mortgage estimated at right around $400, including taxes and insurance escrow. Taxes on this property are listed at $918/year

Never to young to buy a home. I was 23 when I purchased my first home back in 1980 in Bridgeport PA. . .$49,000 for a Cape Cod. Real Estate usually only goes up in value.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:

I know, I'm living in it... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I know, I'm living in it... :D
    madmax
    Wow, those prices are insane unless you make over 6 digets a year......:eek: