You Won't Find This On The New!

13»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Political differences are a heck of a lot different than differences over audio equipment. One has real life implications, and the other, in the end, is meaningless.

I know the topic is banned here, but so long as threads get started with even a hint of political rhetoric they're going to be responded to by someone.

We all have a right to our opinions, and Polk can censor them if they choose, but they're pretty laissez faire.

That said, if you say something stupid, don't be surprised when you get called on it. I think you'll find that people warring over logical and rational ideas never deduces itself to name calling.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    The United States in all of her glory is no different than Great Britain was from the early 1800s through about 1950. We expropriate surplus from LDCs around the world via market exchange, if a country isn't performing appropriately the recommendations of the Washington Consensus are introduced and if that isn't working we resort to other methods of sanctioning or flexing our military power.

The US isn't exempt from the truth, it just typically isn't considered.
    Truth ? ... You better recheck your statement ... The British Flag still flies in a lot of places other than Britain ...
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    Wow.

Talk simple audio systems and everything is copacetic. Differ in opinion about which is more preferable for a HT setup classic 2 channel or surround and a mild debate breaks out. Argue over which brand of amp provides better tonal properties, sure no problem. But purport that the actions of our country are suspect without attacking any member and suddenly the collective lather of the chosen few attack. What gives?
    What gives ? ... Simple ... There used to be a sub forum off the Clubhouse for Political Stuff ... It isn't there any more ... For good reason ... The people who have been around long enough to remember would for the most part agree that this was not a good addition to the forum ... Obviously Polk agreed ...
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Peter,

My comments had little to do with his opinion, we all have different opinions. Rather, it had to do with his general BS attitude and lack of respect for the forum and it's members.

pacificoastbear, was trolling and provoking in a very sly manner, these two posts show what I am talking about. The first is mine. The second followed right after I posted mine. At this point the fella had already gotten on my nerves from other posts he made and I was starting to get fed up with him.

Here are the posts;

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=578390&postcount=2374

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=578391&postcount=2375

My wife was in the room with me when these two went down. She usually corrects me when I take something the wrong way . . . she got the same message I did this time.

Sorry it seems that he is being bullied, he touched a nerve or two of mine as I did to members here when I first came aboard this forum and I was beat up a few times, I saw where I was wrong or came off the wrong way and then I admitted that I was wrong and moved on. . . this guy came back with sly insults.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited February 2007
    While he is out trolling I hope he watches this.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    eh, why fight it guys,

pacificcoastbearusasucks is absolutly right, this is a terrible terrible imperialistic country we live in.

we in no way made the world a better place by defeating Nazism, Fascism (fight continues), Communism et al. We do NOT further the belief of freedom around the world, especially compared to countries like Iran (the country of cute and fuzzy teddy bears)

I equate us to the Empire on Starwars, all we need is a large, spherical space battlestation and a president to dress in dark robes and shoot purple lightening from his hands (bad skin would round out the image)

of course, I might be a little sarcastic here :D

to everyone else who has a problem with those who called pacificbear out (including pacificbear) If you have an opinion, people are going to respond to it. sometimes harshly. if your not ready or willing to accept the criticism and defend your position, then why offer it?

perhaps some cheese with that whine would be nice :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    bikezappa wrote:

I think every one can express their beliefs in this forum. Even stupid ones, I know I have.

and yet we do not have the right to call out an opinion we think is retarded? I'm confused, do we just let someone have an opinion and we have no right to resond, even harshly?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    The poster in question came across as a fool way before he made any political remarks. Someone noted that he had 20 something worthless posts. It was true. He is free to post any opinion he likes. I don't care since I won't see them. He hit my ignore list on his very first day.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    The poster in question came across as a fool way before he made any political remarks. Someone noted that he had 20 something worthless posts. It was true. He is free to post any opinion he likes. I don't care since I won't see them. He hit my ignore list on his very first day.

I did Steve it was his 26th, and that was before his veiled shot at me and the wife.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited February 2007
    imperialism encompasses so much that out of context it's nearly meaningless.

it's most effective use seems to be to bait an angry response by drawing from its negative connotations. little doubt, these folks use it because the thought of bodily fluids of decent people streaming from their temples with such an easy keystroke combination amuses them.

who's to say with their disingenuous overuse of it that it might not someday be understood by most to be positive policies and actions that approach the gold standard in international relations?

)

http://www.state.gov/s/c/rls/rm/45851.htm
    "In thinking about means, Theodore Roosevelt’s standard was that, "in striving for a lofty ideal we must use practical methods; and if we cannot attain all at one leap, we must advance towards it step by step, reasonably content so long as we do actually make some progress in the right direction.""
    "So when people refer to an American empire, they use the word "empire" as a metaphor. They may reach for such a metaphor because they find it hard to describe the nature of American primacy. But the metaphor is misleading.

A recent essay describes the way American soldiers exert influence in the country of Niger, by sending trainers for its soldiers. To invoke the imperial metaphor, the author called them "America’s African Rifles." But, unlike the old King’s African Rifles to which he alludes, the United States does not direct the army of Niger. It does make Niger stronger to do what Niger chooses to do. America does seek to build up the capability of others. The article describes the kind of social bonding that occurs from people helping each other. And what power is this? Take it to its essence. It is the power of friendship."
    "Headlines every day remind us how much more difficult it is to build than it is to destroy. But we can draw some comfort from the words of another wartime President, words that Franklin Roosevelt penned in the midst of World War II:

"I am everlastingly angry only at those who assert vociferously that the four freedoms and the Atlantic Charter are nonsense because they are unattainable. If those people had lived a century and a half ago they would have sneered and said that the Declaration of Independence was utter piffle. If they had lived nearly a thousand years ago they would have laughed uproariously at the ideals of Magna Charta. And if they had lived several thousand years ago they would have derided Moses when he came from the Mountain with the Ten Commandments."
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    I'm gone for a few days and this post gose nuts! Who let the hippies in? Pacificoastbear, if you don't like the fourm go away. If you think this country is so evil, move to another country. No one is keeping you here.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Yup, by the definitions of the word "imperialism" set forth by bikezappa and pacificcoastbear (is that you Nancy?) the only 2 options for any country are to be an isolationist or an imperialistic country.

With only those two choices allowed, I know which one I want. All hail the American empire!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2007
    OHSKIGOD, F1nut and all the others

Of course you have the right to call out an opinion you disagree with. I just think the number of posts a member has is not very relavent to the quality of the post/opinion. And many posts by the members are very helpful for me and I'm sure for others in both politics and jokes and Hi Fi and music. That's what makes the forum good. I welcome informed responses.

Call the poster out with data and facts if possible, because it will sway more people. That's just my opinion. Saying the poster is BS and so on doesn't inform me. Tell the poster WHY what he/she is saying is BS. I know he touched a nerve, but you don't need to you resort to name calling. It just makes everyone dig in all the more. Dialogue between different groups with different beliefs can be very useful to understanding where we are all coming from. We are all Americans and proud of it.

There are always two sides to any issue.

Maybe this forum is not the place to discuss any political issues. Just stick with Hi Fi, I'm with that if those are the rules. I'm not out to piss anyone off.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    "We are all Americans and proud of it."

Doesn't quite fit in with " Imperialist " does it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    Look up the history of Hawaii and America. Not to good.

We are not perfect, but yes I'm proud to be an American.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2007
    bikezappa wrote:
    Look up the history of Hawaii and America. Not to good.

We are not perfect, but yes I'm proud to be an American.

Surely you can do better than bringing something up from a 100+ years
    ago.Believe me.....I know we are not angels,past or present.But bring up a more relevant example.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    bikezappa wrote:
    I just think the number of posts a member has is not very relavent to the quality of the post/opinion.

In this particular situation, the tone and "substance" (or lack thereof) of the limited prior posts set the stage. He had NO credibility...nor did he deserve any.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    This thread rocks. Lets finish taking the rest of Mexico!!
  • tonyb
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:

Why not ? As Dennis Miller says " Why not knock on the door,make a offer,who knows,could solve all our imigration issues ":D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:

Why the hell would we want to do that? Have you been to Mexico City lately? :confused:

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Eh, screw that, take Canada instead and give Quebec to France.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    Wrong!

The Eskimos are the real problem.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Why the hell would we want to do that? Have you been to Mexico City lately? :confused:

Hell no! I'm more of Riviera Maya kind of guy.
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Well, if we did take over all of Mexico...Mexico City would immediately become the largest (and only inhabited) Superfund site in the country. That place is scary.

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    We already own Mexico, all their citizens are here.:D :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Saying the poster is BS and so on doesn't inform me. Tell the poster WHY what he/she is saying is BS.

See post #55.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk