You (and your system) might be ghetto if;

2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Actually I did. But when I went 3 way and added the extra amp I decided to go back to the "hidden dist block". :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    very nice.

If I'm not lazy tomorrow, which I highly highly doubt, ill snap a couple pictures of the amp rack and what the inside of the truck looks like tomorrow, but like i said, thats if im not lazy...which doesnt happen very much when im on my only day off
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    I guess Im ghetto - and proud of it!!! ;)

I've used rags to take care of rattles in my car.....ghetto, but it works :D .
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Are you kidding? Ive got gloves stuffed down inside my door panels to get rid of buzzes as well!

Whatever works! :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    I'm guilty of pieces of a cardboard box stuffed behind a license plate:D
    -Cody
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    I'm guilty of pieces of a cardboard box stuffed behind a license plate:D
    -Cody

You can also use foam tape on a roll !
    3M makes it...:D
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    but that costs money, we usually have lots of cardboard around the shop:D
    -Cody
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited February 2007
    If that works, then great!... I've had dynamat on mine and it rattles much less... but STILL rattles.

Demon
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    OK, there needs to be a visual aide here.

For a shining example of a Ghetto Rig read this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48039&highlight=Ghetto

Cardboard behind a license plate to keep it from rattling isn't ghetto. It's just common sense. Doesn't hold up real well in rain but if you live in a dry place like Texas where exalted512 lives, it'll do fine. The foam tape is a better idea but it too is suceptible to weather. If you wanted to get a more permanent solution that is equally as cheap, get the marine grade double sided foam tape. That will hold up to the weather and work just as well.

Rags or old gloves or other old clothing tapped around problem wires in a door or other body cavity behind a speaker to quell rattling problems is not ghetto either. It is just common sense and has a dual benefit. Not only does it stop rattling but it also dampens the enclosure volume which will, in most cases, improved low-frequency response and extension.

Covering your box with carpet or vinyl can affect SPL because it can affect reflections which can sometimes add to SPL. However, to get teh most out of reflections, the surface that is reflective and it's design have to be engineered. So yes, carpeting a box can affect sound pressure levels. Plus what Mac already said.

Sometimes you can't help but "act smart" infront of a sales guy because sometimes you actually DO know more. Sometimes, it's the salesguy that is acting smart because he's trying to get you to buy something.

Some pre-fab bandpass boxes DO sound good. I have one. Polk made it. It's called the C4.

Lamp cords can make decent power wires provided you are not exceeding the current rating of that wire. However, they have no place in a car.

Different subs can be mounted in the same box if the box is chambered with each sub having it's own internal chamber.

Cars can run better with a grounding kit but only because they already have a problem with the ignition system and/or the engine's electrical system ground. The grounding kit only provides a better ground for the engine and introduces noise into the audio system of the car.

Most of the stuff in this thread that is thought to be "ghetto" isn't. Just because it doesn't look pretty doesn't mean it doesn't work. Evidence of that is any drag strip in the Northeast. This is teh rust belt so no one bothers with body work on a non-show car because it'll just rust out anyway. Needless to say, alot of the race cars look like crap but run like stink.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited February 2007
    I'm guilty of only one thing on that list...

A seat belt bolt is my ground.. but to be fair I took the bolt out and cleaned the metal and then put the wire and bolt in. Been working fine for six months.

It works fine! Whatever.
  • jfeinman
    jfeinman Posts: 29
    edited November 2007
    Ghetto:
    Running your amp power leads from the back of your cigarette lighter because you are too lazy to drill a hole through your firewall.

Or, Any 96-99 Honda Civic aftermarket headunit install: The fact that in order for your dome light and keyless entry to work, you have to leave your old OEM deck hooked up, shove it as deep as you can into the dash, and use a t-harness for your your new deck screams ghetto.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Ghetto...

When you have the Jensen's 6x9 installed to rear deck with Duct Tape, complete with wires hanging look.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Ghetto...

When you have the Jensen's 6x9 installed to rear deck with Duct Tape, complete with wires hanging look.

Ive seen people with 3 pairs of 6x9s just sitting on the rear deck...nothing holding them in.
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Well that's just Ghetto laziness. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Ive seen people with 3 pairs of 6x9s just sitting on the rear deck...nothing holding them in.
    -Cody

That might be an issue if you have to make a sudden stop.......:eek:
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    ^^ I was gonna say," if ya use duct tape on your wiring "!!

Like the shmuck I bought my car from did...no really !!

its schmuck
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    home ghetto:
    A car battery, A couple subs and an amp hooked up in your house to your sound design stereo
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    A pair of '80s Fisher floorstanders fed by a Pyramid 1000 watt booster/EQ On a factory GM radio. I've seen it. Not pretty.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    hows this for ghetto, im at super autobac, a car everything store thats the biggest retailer in japan, they have one in so cal now and its freaking crazy, they have everything... so im buying wheels and tires for my new car.... guy walks in and says "what are the biggest wheels i can put on my 87 cadi el dorado?" guy answers "24", customer says "k whats the cheapest 24" wheel u got"
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
    joeaudio26 wrote: »
    (You fit this profile..)

*You can't stand MTX and RF just because they sell them at Circuit City

*NEW* You despise MB Quart because they are now owned by RF

I might sound like an idiot saying this, but I had no idea MB Quart was owned by RF... Not that I have a problem with that, I think RF has some awesome amps.
    joeaudio26 wrote: »
    *You drive a Civic (ok I'm just messin

whoa, whoa, whoa. Driving a civic isn't ghetto! Its smart! :D
  • mopar paul
    mopar paul Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Quote-hows this for ghetto, im at super autobac, a car everything store thats the biggest retailer in japan, they have one in so cal now and its freaking crazy, they have everything... so im buying wheels and tires for my new car.... guy walks in and says "what are the biggest wheels i can put on my 87 cadi el dorado?" guy answers "24", customer says "k whats the cheapest 24" wheel u got"
    Not near as ghetto as a guy I swa, he had shag carpeting glued all over his cars exterior. Oh, and it was bright rust colored!
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    was it a "shagin wagon" like from dumb and dumber?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8