Bose takes shot at Polk

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Not sure if it is just a local Bose commercial, although they did talk about a local Boston paper, but Bose was talking about how their new 3.1 system eliminates the need for big speakers in the rear with speaker wire running under the carpet.....and guess what they used to demonstrate what you don't need? That's right, POLK.

You could only see them very quickly but im 95% sure they were RTA's.
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Those that know, know better. It's your job to educate those that don't know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Sux to be the people that buy into their (Bose) crap. I think this is good for Polk getting mentioned so prominently in their **** campaign. They must be making Bose sweat alot lately with their kickass products!

You go Polk!
    No excuses!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Sux to be the people that buy into their (Bose) crap. I think this is good for Polk getting mentioned so prominently in their **** campaign. They must be making Bose sweat alot lately with their kickass products!

You go Polk!
    They dont actually mention Polk, just picture it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Day late and a dollar short much there Bose?

The Polk Surround Bar has already ended the need for rear speakers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    They must be feeling threatened ...
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Day late and a dollar short much there Bose?

The Polk Surround Bar has already ended the need for rear speakers.

True, but the surround bar is not getting the publicity of the Bose 3.1 system. I was over at a friends house and people started talking about wanting a surround sound but without all the speakers. One person mentioned the Bose and immediately everyone there jumped into the conversation exclaiming how they had seen it on TV and was also thinking about getting one. Only one other person besides myself knew about the sound bar, and he was trying to decide between it and the Yamaha one. The PR campaign that Bose utilizes is phenomenal. Out of 10 couples there, nearly everyone had heard of their system and some were seriously considering it. One person, and not his wife, knew about the soundbar.

:confused:
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    90% (if not more) of the market, I would say is Bose.

I might be wrong, but Bose is a house hold name.... in darn near EVERY household.

You will never hear someone say... Bose..what is Bose?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2007
    You Polkies should consider it flattering that they chose to use Polk in their advertising media....its not negative at all really. I find it more positive, in that regardless of WHY, its still a Polk speaker represented.

I think Bose is finally starting to feel the impact of other, high quality manufacturers, producing a product that appeals to the common man....without the use of overzealous ads and imaginative marketing concepts.

Regardless of a VERY WELL reviewed product like Surround Bar or the I-Sonic, Polk Audio is really turning up the heat in this industry and they have some friends that feel the same way. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Let's get it on.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    At the end of the day it ain't about the best product, it's about who's a better salesman. Bose is simply a marketing machine, whereas Polk has a totally different marketing model. If Polk advertised like Bose, the prices would skyrocket and/or the quality would likely suffer. So it's a good thing that Polk doesn't try to compete head-to-head with Bose.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    At the end of the day it ain't about the best product, it's about who's a better salesman. Bose is simply a marketing machine, whereas Polk has a totally different marketing model. If Polk advertised like Bose, the prices would skyrocket and/or the quality would likely suffer. So it's a good thing that Polk doesn't try to compete head-to-head with Bose.

That makes you ask, how can you keep your feet in a market of monster advertisement and still get paid?

If bose does one thing right aside from marketing, it's providing pre-made, pre-designed advertisement/demo booths for its systems so that you will always get the most out of their products. When compared to a poorly setup Polk product in a bigbox store, the Bose system *will* most likely sound better.

The only difference is when you get home and hear the bose compared to a properly setup Polk system and realize that the sound has very much shifted away from what sounded like the better system.

And then there's buying as name brand. Not many people know about Polk, but a whole heckuva lot know about Bose. Saying you have Bose speakers is met by people's awe and admiration. Saying you have Polk's, well, who knows about Polk? Now, if they can listen to it, THEN you'll get some awe and admiration, but right now, I hate to say it, the Gold standard for premium audio to Joe Sixpack and the general consumer is BOSE.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007

I've always been a glass is 1/2 full person so I view ads like these as double advertising. I ask myself who are they comparing themselves to?

Large numbers of people including myself shop for speakers by our ears. I had splinters the first time I heard Polk speakers. Compare this with shopping for a car. Are you going to buy a volvo because all your friends say they are safe, or do your eyes drift towards a car with a shape and features that you like?
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Being very familier with the Bose marketing strategy and execution, at least from the direct marketing standpoint, you would be amazed at why the average person buys Bose! They have created a brand image, based on the foundations of Harley-Davidson style brand building. It's what your friends think that matters :(

Friends don't let friends buy Bose, that's my story :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    You Polkies should consider it flattering that they chose to use Polk in their advertising media....its not negative at all really. I find it more positive, in that regardless of WHY, its still a Polk speaker represented.

I think Bose is finally starting to feel the impact of other, high quality manufacturers, producing a product that appeals to the common man....without the use of overzealous ads and imaginative marketing concepts.

Regardless of a VERY WELL reviewed product like Surround Bar or the I-Sonic, Polk Audio is really turning up the heat in this industry and they have some friends that feel the same way. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Let's get it on.

Exactely!

Last night I went to a company party and one of the giveaway prizes was a Bose Wave Radio. When it was announced that 2nd place would win this, you heard OOO's and AHHH's from people exclaiming..."WHOA, a Bose radio! WOW...BOSE!"

I rolled my eyes!

I think (IMHO) Polk is going to start using the marketing power of their new parent company to let the world know just who the big dog is!
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Bose is a marketing giant, sure. Ask yourself what Bose is doing though, that very few if ANY other mainstream, brick and mortar offerings are doing.

They are selling people on sound. They are making people listen. All of their demos, all of their infomercials get people to listen. Once people start listening, and buying on that listening experience - the hi-fi door is opened, where it may have never been opened otherwise.

There might be a handful of consumers that downgrade (what we consider a downgrade), but for most - they are making a little money now, and wow, this little table radio does sound better than my boombox, and it's a lot smaller. Wow, this 3 2 1 system does sound better than my tv speakers.

Believe it or not, Bose is selling sound as much as they are their name. They are getting people to listen, that otherwise might not. I think that's cool, and benefits the industry as a whole, much moreso than it hurting sales numbers for the competetion. Consumers are beginning to listen, and buy on that experience.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    I had a friend that was insisting on buying BOSE. I tried to convince him not to and even showed him all the negative user reviews that are available on line. He bought it anyway and he loves it.:eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    Problem is though, Russ, is that normal Joe Blow upgrades his sound system as much as he upgrades his washing machine. If you do not snag them up right away, your chance of getting their business is almost nil. Unfortunately most people are also "lazy", for lack of a better word, and thus when it is time to replace their old system, they will usually go with the brand they know.

Sure it gets them to listen, but only to listen to how Bose compares to built-in source speakers. It does not get them to listen for what is the best sound they can get.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    I rather admire Bose. I think they have promoted some brilliant design concepts such as the decent, compact portable system and the microsatellite multispeaker system. Granted, others have now imitated and improved on their concepts and provide better value, but many people value form over function and want what they consider to be "decent" sound in a small form-factor, unobtrusive package. If they buy Bose and enjoy listening to it, as far as I am concerned, they got their money's worth. A lot of folks out there don't put a high enough priority on listening to make it worth their time to "listen for the best sound they can get". I really don't consider them inferior or disadvantaged for it.

Years ago, I wanted to install a surround system in a large open "great room" and my wife would not tolerate floor standing or stand mounted speakers as there was little wall space available. I got a Bose Acoustimass system, mounted the speakers on small brackets from the ceiling, and ran the wiring through the attic. It was so unobtrusive as to be all but invisible for a 5.1 speaker set up. I still have that system and use it in my office as computer speakers. My office used to be a sun porch, and has windows on three sides. The speakers have to be mounted on brackets that mount to wood panels about 4 inches wide. The little satellites fit perfectly. Maybe if I was buying such a system now, I would go with Orb, or some such, but at the time what I needed was available at Sears and discounted, as Bose rarely is. And to tell you the truth, that system has given me absolutely no trouble all these years. The "bass" module was sitting on the floor of my office, which has been flooded with several inches of water multiple times in the last year and apart from some minor cosmetic damage to the vinyl veener, the unit did not sustain any damage at all (or maybe it sustained severe functional damage, but it just doesn't sound any different??).
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    I think Russ is right.

The only real problem I have with Bose is their price. I think they make pretty good speakers and wouldnt mind having them. Its just that for the money you could do a whole lot better. But other then that, they do sound pretty good and so theyre not selling snake oil which does open more people eyes to the hi fi world.

People that dont know any better will want a good system so they go get Bose because thats what everybody says is the best. They get it and like the good sound and then maybe start wondering what else is out there and start shopping around.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dkg999
    edited January 2007
    Russ is correct on the fact that they are getting the average non-audio hobby person to listen and hear better sound. I have the advantage of being able to see some of the survey data and the purchase behavior data, and it very much the average person joining the Bose club, because an influencer in their circle of acquaintences has already joined. It's a time tested marketing strategy that once implemented well, keeps paying back in sales. And once you have spent all that money on the Bose system, you are sure going to want to convince all your friends how great it is, and you become their best marketing tool. I have a lot of respect for the Bose strategy.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    Harley Davidson does not sell motorcycles -- they sell a lifestyle. Bose is no different. Bose sells an image, not sound. The sound sucks and they can't compete with folks like Polk on sound. Polk sells speakers, not an image. That's the difference.

Hell, Bose even has a product called, "Lifestyle."

P.S. -- I'm not trying to bash Bose about their sucky sound. I've heard one of their 5.1 systems and it was very impressive, just too damn pricey. It takes a lot of coin to live the Bose Lifestyle.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    Harley Davidson does not sell motorcycles -- they sell a lifestyle. Bose is no different. Bose sells an image, not sound. The sound sucks and they can't compete with folks like Polk on sound. Polk sells speakers, not an image. That's the difference.

Hell, Bose even has a product called, "Lifestyle."

P.S. -- I'm not trying to bash Bose about their sucky sound. I've heard one of their 5.1 systems and it was very impressive, just too damn pricey. It takes a lot of coin to live the Bose Lifestyle.

Bada Bing ;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Bose and Polk shouldn't even be spoken in the same sentence.;) They are two radically different companies serving different segments of the audio market. Both do an excellent job at what they do.

Polk is managed and staffed by people, many of whom are audio and music enthusiasts, who value moderate to high audio performance at "reasonable" prices.

Bose is managed and staffed by people, many of whom are marketing and sales people, who value "adequate" audio performance at high prices. Their customers make a "leap of faith" and assume that, if the price is high, the quality must be equally high. There is a widely held misconception that Bose customers will "see the light" provided they are educated about good sound. This is true of those few Bose customers who have some genuine interest in good sound. However, for the majority of Bose's clientele, audio systems are just another household appliance - as long as it is working, it is not given a second thought.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dkg999
    edited January 2007
    It takes a lot of coin to live the Harley-Davidson lifestyle too :( Maybe I can get a Bose sound system for the bike :rolleyes:
    DKG999

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2007
    I for one don't agree with Russ. Bose isn't selling sound, or asking people to find the best sound, they're selling the image of good sound and telling people Bose is the only way to go.

For whatever reason I rarely see anyone for whom Bose opened the door, other than traditional "big speaker" folks who bought 501s or 901s years ago. I've never heard "I bought a Waveradio, became interested in sound, then realized how much it sucked and bought a pair of SDAs." I see three categories of person:

1. The average human who doesn't own Bose, but has it hammered into them that nothing is better. They aspire to Bose, and they've bought into the image to the point where they'd never dream of buying something from a "no-name" company like B&W or Magnapan.

2. The average human who acheived their dreams and bought Bose. These folks go through life believing that they reached the top of the mountain (no pun intended) and come hell or high water nothing will convince them otherwise. Either they can't hear, or they value the image more than the sound, or they realize they just spent $600 on a clock radio for no particular reason.

3. The non-average people who started with an interest in getting sound rather than room decoration. They've probably heard Bose and weren't impressed, or realize that there are many other options out there.

There's a lot of overpriced stuff out there, so Bose prices alone don't seem so crazy. My problem with them is the advertising that says it costs that much for a good reason, and that you can't do any better. Their little collection of gimmicks will never sound best, and never replace real hi-fi systems.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    Well, basically advertising is the art of lying.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2007
    It always shocks me to listen to people (usually guys) at parties talk about there new sound system they bought. " Ya, it's Bose. Top of the line. You know I wanted the best." They are marketed twords upper middle class people with contemporary tastes in decorating. These are people who see a need in there life and want "the best" but are not hobbiest. They want something that sounds good when they watch a movie, but are not audiofiles. They feel no different twords the sound system then they do when buying say cooking knives.
    I also find that they are happy with their buy, and thats all that counts.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    MSALLA wrote:
    It always shocks me to listen to people (usually guys) at parties talk about there new sound system they bought. " Ya, it's Bose. Top of the line. You know I wanted the best." They are marketed twords upper middle class people with contemporary tastes in decorating. These are people who see a need in there life and want "the best" but are not hobbiest. They want something that sounds good when they watch a movie, but are not audiofiles. They feel no different twords the sound system then they do when buying say cooking knives.
    I also find that they are happy with their buy, and thats all that counts.

It's the "mine is bigger than yours" convo!:rolleyes:
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2007
    I think there's an image component to the whole Bose deal that goes beyond decorating. They don't look stylish, merely modern.

Bang & Olufsen goes all-out on the cosmetic design angle. They're what you want if you really want to impress the masses. And unlike Bose they're actually well-made and sound good. Still way overpriced, though.