Can't sleep lately!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have been having trouble sleeping lately and really have nothing going on in my head, I'm not stressed out, nor do I have anything in particular on my mind.

Well that's not entirely true, I'm trying to make time so I can spend a few hours tinkering with my turntable which hasn't been used in over 20 years. I need to drop some 40W motor oil on the bearing and shaft, then deoxit the motor spindle and clean up the underside of any oxidation, next is replacing the damping fluid in the tonearm, then making sure the cartridge is still aligned properly. Do a really good clean job on the platter, VPI recommends Windex only on the platter and acrylic deck. Next comes very gingerly cleaning the stylus and hoping and praying that the suspension is still intact. Next is to deoxit the tonearm audio lead socket and loop the new audio lead ($125 bucks from SME, could be worse VPI charges like $400 for their unipivot arm leads) and connect it to the underside of the tonearm and then get a good connection including a tight ground to the preamp. Do a final tonearm set up check, place the new belt on the motor spindle and platter check that the speed is right on the money, take a the new DSOTM 180gm rerelease give a quick spin on the VPI 16.5, Zerostat it. . . and then play the record.

I wonder if that is what is keeping me up at night.

Anybody else having the same problem?
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    nope :) :cool:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Sorry, I was just making some coffee, what was the topic?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Joe, I havent slept well for the longest time. I think some of it is stress and I also need to get a better mattress. Now since i quit smoking its been worse. If your'e up all night and want to talk give me a call. PM comming your way.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Fireman32 wrote:
    Joe, I havent slept well for the longest time. I think some of it is stress and I also need to get a better mattress. Now since i quit smoking its been worse. If your'e up all night and want to talk give me a call. PM comming your way.

Shhhhhhhh! hearingimpared is sleeping Zzzzzzzzzzzz! Zzzzzzzzzz! :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Other than Dave, are you guys all working or are you just vampires?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    the latter :eek:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Do I really need to answer that? :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    I get a root canal on 2/14. (soonest they could schedual it.) Due to that, for the last week, I have had constant headaches to the point I have to get up at night to take more tylenol (and can't fall back asleep until it takes effect). Guess I never thought I would wish I could get dental work sooner....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    not working. and it's 3 hours earlier in the West.. so it's not bedtime yet.. ha ha ha. and i'm listening to a new CD i got tonight. from a group called Sloan, the CD is called Never Hear The End of It. kinda good stuff.. my friend turned me onto it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    I get a root canal on 2/14. (soonest they could schedual it.) Due to that, for the last week, I have had constant headaches to the point I have to get up at night to take more tylenol (and can't fall back asleep until it takes effect). Guess I never thought I would wish I could get dental work sooner....

Michael

Mike, 600 mg of Advil or Motrin at bedtime will get rid of the inflamation that is causing the pain. Mix about 500 mg of Tylenol with it and you should be good to go for atleast 6 to 8 hours. It is safe to mix the two just not all day. Drink plenty of water.

Sorry to hear of the pain. I hate tooth problems.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2007
    I prescribe more sex.:D With the Mrs.

I'm at work, but not workin at the moment. I am up though. EDIT: OK, the latter was in reference to why I am up at this hour.;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • McLoki
    edited January 2007
    Thanks - I will try that cocktail tomorrow. I am kind of limited due to high bloodpressure (doc wants me to use tylenol as it wont effect blood pressure) - I guess advil does. Either way - beer and tylenol only last so long and I could use the sleep. (gotta wash it down with something... :) )

If I post back tomorrow at 2:30am - you will know it didn't work. :D

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I prescribe more sex.:D

I'm at work, but not workin at the moment. I am up though.

Are you kiddin she's out cold snooring like a buzz saw!!! Unless righty is up to the task.:eek:
  • McLoki
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I prescribe more sex.:D

Not really that kind of guy, but at this point I am willing to try anything. What is your address again? :D:D

Michael
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Thanks - I will try that cocktail tomorrow. I am kind of limited due to high bloodpressure (doc wants me to use tylenol as it wont effect blood pressure) - I guess advil does. Either way - beer and tylenol only last so long and I could use the sleep. (gotta wash it down with something... :) )

If I post back tomorrow at 2:30am - you will know it didn't work. :D

Michael

I would think ibuprofen would lower blood pressure because it is a blood thinner and an anti-inflamitory. What the hell do I know I got my medical degree from Pep Boys.:p
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    So why do you need a new audio leads on the tonearm? Did you have an interconnect castration?:D The TT I have coming needs to be rewired. I was thinking of an Incognito kit, but am kinda flat at the moment.

From my research, I learned that Rega recommended 80-90 gear lube for the bearing on my Planar 2. Two dollops are required, which in brit means really big drops.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Not really that kind of guy, but at this point I am willing to try anything. What is your address again? :D:D

Michael

Hell, you really ought to try it. Be universal, go both ways.:D
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Are you kiddin she's out cold snooring like a buzz saw!!! Unless righty is up to the task.:eek:

Just tell her Mr. Happy needs to take a lap or two. She will understand. Maybe....
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    I've got to work tomorrow night (Friday, tonight, at this point), so I'm trying to stay up as late as possible. I've got to take advantage of a runway closure at O'Hare to get some digging done. Hopefully, I can keep myself awake for a few more hours...
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    So why do you need a new audio leads on the tonearm? Did you have an interconnect castration?:D The TT I have coming needs to be rewired. I was thinking of an Incognito kit, but am kinda flat at the moment.

From my research, I learned that Rega recommended 80-90 gear lube for the bearing on my Planar 2. Two dollops are required, which in brit means really big drops.

My buddy who was baby sitting the TT for the past 20 years told me he just didn't know where it went which is just as well because the new audio lead is a souped up cable.

I wrote to VPI and asked if I need to do anything in particular to the table beings that it hadn't been used for 20 years. Their reply was short and sweet. . . two drops of 40W motor oil on the bearing 3 drops on the shaft, make sure everything is clean and let her rip.

Of course there is a lot more to do than that I listed some it in the initial post.

I wish I wasn't so tired and seeing double or else I'd be in the media room doing the TT thing tonight but at this point I would only screw things up.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :p
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    Is that one of the cats that didn't pass the highrise drop test?
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    Damn cat obviously got into the liquor cabinet. I hate it when that happens.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    I really hope thinking about fixing a turntable isn't keeping you up nights.

I would recommend getting a little more exercise, possibly stretching out before bed. I find the more active I am during the day, the better I sleep at night.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    No, no ... the dead of night really is the best time for doing intricate turntable set up work. I find it also helps ensure success if I fast for three days and sacrifce a live goat first.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Still up. . . made breakfast for the family, getting the little guy ready for school. . . gotta drive to Philly at 9:00, going on 24 hours. I can't believe I don't feel like a zombie. I've had a head worm since about 3:30 AM, Maroon Five first cut.

I think there is going to be a crash in the late morning.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I really hope thinking about fixing a turntable isn't keeping you up nights.

I would recommend getting a little more exercise, possibly stretching out before bed. I find the more active I am during the day, the better I sleep at night.

Naaaa that was middle of the night head chatter and babbbbbblllllle.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    The softest pillow is a clear conscience. ;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    The softest pillow is a clear conscience. ;)

My conscience is clean as the pure driven snow.:p
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2007
    Drinking or eating much before bed? I used to wake up two or three times during the night and couldn't figure out why. Got a new mattress, really nice Serta Perfect Day, and still couldn't sleep. The girl I was seeing at the time was actually our trainer/buyer and she said it takes a few weeks to break in. Still couldn't sleep a month later so I did more research into it and found that a lot of times if you eat or drink anything within a few hours of going to sleep you wake up during the night. A lot of times you can't remember because the last five minutes before we fall asleep does not make it to long term memory. I was apparently waking up, taking a piss, and going back to bed with no memory of it. I stopped drinking or eating anything within three hours of going to sleep, and the first night I had a better sleep then I had had in months! Try it, just figure out when you go to sleep every night and eat and drink nothing within three hours.

Stress also contributes, I started using my punching bag again and it takes less then ten minutes to fall asleep, used to take around thirty.

Jared