How about your sub conscience:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Thanks - I will try that cocktail tomorrow. I am kind of limited due to high bloodpressure (doc wants me to use tylenol as it wont effect blood pressure) - I guess advil does. Either way - beer and tylenol only last so long and I could use the sleep. (gotta wash it down with something... :) )

If I post back tomorrow at 2:30am - you will know it didn't work. :D

Michael

You're falling apart, man. No more old age cracks from you about my problems! ;)

I'm not commenting on the sex thing. ;)

As far as not sleeping - it comes in cycles with me. Sometimes I sleep well and then for awhile I don't. We usually watch b/w tv shows with the tv on a timer - and I'll flip that back on for awhile. I'll also sometimes flip on my Nintendo DS and get my mind off of whatever I'm dwelling on and that tends to help. I have more problems with dreams - bad nightmares are a regular occurrence with me, so when I do wake up I don't really want to go back to sleep. Somehow knowing they're just dreams doesn't really help all that much...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    The "experts" always say you shouldn't do anything in bed but sleep (and have sex). IE no watching TV, reading, etc. Because that way your mind doesn't associate bed with anything but sleeping.

Or some such nonsense.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I sleep rock solid for 5-6 hours each night. I have serious sleep apnea and in the past could go to bed and attempt to sleep for 8-12 hours and wake up more tired than when I attempted to go to sleep. I was a terrible snorer. If the wife could have moved two houses down the steet at night to attempt to get some sleep herself she would have done so. Another floor with all the doors between shut was the best she could do. It was literally killing me. I went through a sleep study at the hospital overnight and "slept" for them with about a thousand wires and electrodes attached to various part of my body and the video cameras rolling. (as far as I know the video hasn't shown up on any voyeur **** sites yet.) I never even got close to REM sleep and would have several hundred episodes an hour where I would not breath causing my blood oxygen levels to be less than 60% of nomal. I was a heart attack waiting to happen according to the doctor. For the last six years I have been using a C-PAP (continous positive airway pressure). C-PAP is a machine that blows air into your nose via a nose mask, keeping the airway open and unobstructed. With this machine I am able to hit the bed and go to sleep in minutes and have 5-6 hours of deep sleep. It is great.

For those of you who don't have apnea, my oldest daughter for a short time seemed to have the insomnia some of you are experiencing. Since I know the sleep doc pretty well he told me some stuff to help.

- Regular schedule - Try to go to bed about the same time every night
    - Set up the bedroom for sleep - No TV
    - Relax 20 -30 min. before bed by reading or music somewhere other that the bedroom
    - Eat at least 4 hours before bed time
    - Stop exercising at least 3 hours before bed time
    - watch caffeine intake and limit to daytime
    - Rather than sleeping pills he recommended taking melatonin supplements

The melatonin really seemed to help her. Now that she is in college she doesn't have any sleep issues other than not enough time to sleep.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Gaara wrote:
    Drinking or eating much before bed? I used to wake up two or three times during the night and couldn't figure out why. Got a new mattress, really nice Serta Perfect Day, and still couldn't sleep. The girl I was seeing at the time was actually our trainer/buyer and she said it takes a few weeks to break in. Still couldn't sleep a month later so I did more research into it and found that a lot of times if you eat or drink anything within a few hours of going to sleep you wake up during the night. A lot of times you can't remember because the last five minutes before we fall asleep does not make it to long term memory. I was apparently waking up, taking a piss, and going back to bed with no memory of it. I stopped drinking or eating anything within three hours of going to sleep, and the first night I had a better sleep then I had had in months! Try it, just figure out when you go to sleep every night and eat and drink nothing within three hours.

Stress also contributes, I started using my punching bag again and it takes less then ten minutes to fall asleep, used to take around thirty.

Jared

Thanks for the tips. I never eat past 7:00 PM. A personal trainer got me on that 5 years ago. I do however drink lots and lots of water at least 1 1/2 gallons a day. The diet demands it. I don't have problems, when I do get to sleep, having to take a leak throughout the night. One good long one when I get up, like animal in "Revenge of the Nerds."

My normal sleep pattern is that between 11:30PM and 12:30 AM I go out like a light and don't wake up until the alarm sounds. This stuff started this past three or four days. It could be delayed stress. I've been running all day today and feel like I got a full nights sleep last night. . . very very strange.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    Unless righty is up to the task.. . . two drops of 40W motor oil on the bearing 3 drops on the shaft, make sure everything is clean and let her rip.

Sounds to me like you have it down to a science.

How does 40W motor oil compare to Jerkins. . . I mean Jergen's?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    AndyGwis wrote:
    Sounds to me like you have it down to a science.

How does 40W motor oil compare to Jerkins. . . I mean Jergen's?

Hair conditioner anyone?
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    Whensoever the blind leadeth the blind, they doth both fall into the ditch.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Yep my mom told me a long time ago I would go blind if I didn't stop that. She also told me I would grow hair on my palm, then everyone would know what I was doing . . . I thought they already knew!!!
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    I- Eat at least 4 hours before bed time

I don't know about you guys, but doing this would make me have a harder time sleeping. I usually eat dinner around 6-7 and go to bed an average around 1-2. If I don't have a small "snack" before bed, my hunger keeps me awake. (and no, I am not very fat for doing this:p , I'm actually going to the gym and taking mass gainer/protein shakes so I can gain muscle).
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    tommyboy wrote:
    I don't know about you guys, but doing this would make me have a harder time sleeping. I usually eat dinner around 6-7 and go to bed an average around 1-2. If I don't have a small "snack" before bed, my hunger keeps me awake. (and no, I am not very fat for doing this:p , I'm actually going to the gym and taking mass gainer/protein shakes so I can gain muscle).

Doing the exercises we spoke of above will grow muscles on your wrist and forearm. . . but you need to alternate hands or everyone will know what you are doing!;) :p:D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Maybe playing tennis or racquet ball builds up only one forearem and wrist.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    jkn wrote:
    I have more problems with dreams - bad nightmares are a regular occurrence with me, so when I do wake up I don't really want to go back to sleep. Somehow knowing they're just dreams doesn't really help all that much...

Hmmmmmmm it sounds like some of that orange sunshine or purple haze your were doing back in the 60s is making a second debut. LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    I slept like a rock last night. . . went out cold about 10:30 and didn't wake up until the alarm went off at 8:00 AM this morning.