You decide

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 50,428
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
In an effort to sell a pair of Monitor 10 PR's on the forum, Eiderlon decided to circumvent the FM rules and post a "for sale" thread in another section with only 6 posts to his name. This brought about a few comments about his lack of respect to the forum members and the rules. His flippant responses only served to further demonstrate his lack of respect. His thread was deleted by the powers that be earlier today, so what does he do you ask? He starts a posting spree to achieve the needed 25 posts. Between 8:01pm and 8:09pm he posted 13 times, mostly short worthless posts and then 6 more in quick succession a little later. Add those 19 to the 6 he had and he's got his 25. Now make note, these are his first posts since he joined on 1/23/06 at which time he posted 6 times that day, so we have zero posts for one year and then when he wants to sell something here, 19 in one day. See where this is going!?!

Now hang on, I'm not done. Today someone asked me if I remembered the email address that had been posted in Eiderlon's "ad" yesterday because he needed these PR's for a project. I didn't, but I remembered his name started with an "E", so in an effort to help my friend I looked thru the list of "E's" and found that I remembered Eiderlon's name as the seller. I forwarded that info to my friend, along with a word of caution that Eiderlon could be a problem and to deal very carefully with him.

Fast forward.....I notice that Eiderlon is on his posting spree, so I decide to send him a PM, which I will post here. Those that know me, know that I am blunt, but that I look out for my fellow Polkies first and foremost.
Originally Posted by F1nut
Some friendly advice, stop trying to cheat your way to 25 posts. Folks here don't take kindly to that kind of BS.

There is a friend of mind that is interested in your PR's, he sent you an email. Don't screw up or you'll be hunted down, clear?

Enjoy your stay,
F1

To which he responds,
Originally Posted by Eiderlon
Q: What did the little speaker say to the big amp?

A: Blow Me!

So there you have it. You make up your own mind if you want to deal with or "hang out" with him on the forum. I just wanted everyone to know what kind of person he is.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Thanks Jesse he sounds like a real good guy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for posting the late breaking news. :rolleyes:

You bust his balls, and then a friend of yours wants his gear, and you threaten him in the process of referring your pal?

I'd say the reply is spot on, and funny to boot!

Rules are rules, I agree, but that doesn't mean every newbie has malicious intent either. Relax broham.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    Wow!!! Had no idea that was going on.What a piss head.Thanks for giving it the attention it deserves.Hope others learn by this.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    seems to be alot of this type of thing going on lately..

If one doesn`t follow forum protocal, what makes you think he`s a square trader ?
    He/she is cheating the system, so what`s to stop him/her from doing that to the buyer ?

just my dos centavos
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the heads up man.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I liked his blatant (to paraphrase) "I know this is against the rules...but I'm doing it anyway". I would have probably been ok with him coming in here and making 25 sensless posts JUST to be able to sell per the rules. It shows a little respect vs F*** the rules...they don't apply to me attitude.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    I don't know Russ, you seem to be off the mark a lot lately. Think about it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Such as? Examples?

He posted, got called on it, ate a little crow, he's making his 25 posts, nonsensical or not.....

At the end of the day, it's what, a twenty or thirty dollar pair of PR's? If he's out to scam, he sure didn't set the bar very high.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2007
    Jesse, you are right on the money IMO. YOU are looking out for others and perhaps that is not how everyone sees it. But I do. Nice going.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    let`s see if he sticks around after the sale...

that seems to be the way to tell if he`s just here to unload his goods or not

Like many before him
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    That's one of the problems and results with a post count based rule to start a FS Thread ... You wind up with lots of stuff not even remotely worth reading ... It would seem to be simpler and more effective to make it 6 months or 3 months or whatever ...

If you look around you'll see several others have posted BS stuff over the last couple of weeks just to be able to open the door.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    At the end of the day, it's what, a twenty or thirty dollar pair of PR's? If he's out to scam, he sure didn't set the bar very high.
    Helluva attitude. :rolleyes:

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Originally Posted by Eiderlon
    Q: What did the little speaker say to the big amp?

A: Blow Me!

I thought his response was stupid..and didn't make any sense other than to show he's young, dumb and full of BS.

I appreciate Jesse or anyone else who flags people and calls them on **** like this. I was looking for a pair of passive's for my 7B's (as backups, and I found some) just two weeks ago.. and I'm not saying this dude isn't on the up and up.. but with the history of people coming into da Club and trying to sell something in a hurry then scram.. i want to know about such people.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Thanks for posting the late breaking news. :rolleyes:

You bust his balls, and then a friend of yours wants his gear, and you threaten him in the process of referring your pal?

I'd say the reply is spot on, and funny to boot!

Rules are rules, I agree, but that doesn't mean every newbie has malicious intent either. Relax broham.

Cheers,
    Russ

no kidding- I mean with all due respect to the "senior" members here, this is just an internet forum is it not? Community? You betcha.. but still an online one at that.

I think someone needs to put down the keyboard and get outside more.

sorry if that offends some here- but I mean really.. :rolleyes:
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    aaharvel wrote:
    no kidding- I mean with all due respect to the "senior" members here, this is just an internet forum is it not?

No, it is not just an internet forum. When I can say I have spent time IN PERSON with 30-40 people who post on this forum and spend time on the telephone TALKING to people I consider friends (not just typed names on a screen) and when I take time to keep track of who has or has not gotten screwed on a deal at the flea market....then no it is not just an faceless internet forum. When stuff of value is given away because people want to "give back/forward whatever" it is not just an internet forum. When people collect hundreds of dollars to give to a school that was good to a members special child who passed away...it is not just an internet forum.

You may treat it as just an internet forum. Others feel it is more than that. It is a community and it is people who are friends, not just screen names.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    No, it is not just an internet forum. When I can say I have spent time IN PERSON with 30-40 people who post on this forum and spend time on the telephone TALKING to people I consider friends (not just typed names on a screen) and when I take time to keep track of who has or has not gotten screwed on a deal at the flea market....then no it is not just an faceless internet forum. When stuff of value is given away because people want to "give back/forward whatever" it is not just an internet forum. When people collect hundreds of dollars to give to a school that was good to a members special child who passed away...it is not just an internet forum.

You may treat it as just an internet forum. Others feel it is more than that. It is a community and it is people who are friends, not just screen names.

+1 Ahmen to that!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited January 2007
    If we don't look out for one another no one will. I don't find this posting anything other than information. I was onto Eiderlon from his first post. If someone takes a chance and things work out, then great, but if someone takes a chamce and gets screwed atleast they had all the facts.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    +2 to Shack's post.

Thank you the heads up, Jesse. I'll look for the sale thread so I can properly post my opinions on this lad's merits.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    is this "just an internet forum?" well, according to strict definition.....yes,
    but Shack is certainly right in saying that this forum just aint like other forums.

there is a community feel here that I havent found anywhere else. I look at the fact I have over 3000 posts in stunned amazement, understand I never really was a big internet chatroom kind of guy, just wasnt my thing, yet I am pretty active here. This was not the first Audio board I was a member of.

yet, I latched onto here pretty quick because for all its faults (and there are some with you freaks :D), I like this joint overall. Like the people, like the fact that there are other audio lunatics like me (even vastly more so!)

in this community, there are constants. some will come, post ridiculous stuff to get 25 posts, then sell there stuff and punch out

some (Jesse) will call him out and light him up like a Christmas tree. Is he harsh? sure he is, hey man.....he's Jesse :)

Russ, will then give his obligatory "hey WTF?!?!" response

Jesse will tell him to scratch ****

I, through it all, will continue to be entertained :D

its one of the myriad of reasons that I love this joint. it is what it is guys. just come to accceptance on the issue....it makes it all easier.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for looking out for us Jesse.

No, this is not just an internet forum. I've met quite a few people in person over the years and travelled hundreds of miles to spend time with these people at Polk Fest. Heck, Mark and Russ spend quite a few $$$ to fly out to Vegas for CES and take time to report back to us. You call that "just a internet forum?" Antny takes time out of his life to help a fellow forum member haul in some speakers and modify the tweeter array. Hmmm, just another internet forum? Troy opens up his home for all of us and the big wigs at Polk Audio fly in for this. Just another internet forum?

I've personally had a forum member save me from getting scammed by one of these scumbags.

With internet scams at an all time high and rising, i'm glad people in this forum are here looking out for one another!

John
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    I surely hope that this is not 'just an internet forum'....

I'm right there with shack on this one. There are folks on this forum (Russ and Jesse are two of them, oddly enough) that I'd trust with my bank account balances. Folks that I consider dear friends.

If it's 'just an internet forum', hell, I probably wouldn't have gone through the time and expense of hosting PolkFest. The gear that I've sold, hell, I KNOW I could have made a LOT more elsewhere but figured that passing something to someone who would use and enjoy is worth a few extra sheckles.

If this were 'just an internet forum' I probably wouldn't have received care packages from forum members while deployed overseas. Nor would they have called at regular intervals to check on my wife (nor would, other than George, question thier motives for doing so).

Aaharvel, the difference HERE is that there are people who are willing to get out from behind the keyboard and invest a bit of themselves in this little community here. Now, most forums that I've seen have a couple or handful of folks that may be that way but the vast majority are just taking up space for largely thier own benefit/gratification. Here we have a LOT of folks taking an active interest. If you don't get that after 4500 posts, well, not much I can do for you there.

As far as the issue in question. I see both sides. Yeah, it's just a thirty dollar pair of PR's, so, yeah, I get that. However, the point of the 25 post rule is a measure of protection against people getting ripped off and if that rule is so easily circumvented, then why bother having it? So, Jesse is passionate about protecting the integrity of the FM? I'm down with that. Russ is just as passionate about the integrity of the forum as well....so once in awhile there is a disagreement. If we all agreed on everything, life would be boring.

So, 'is this just an internet forum'? It would appear not to a lot of folks 'round here and that's cool with me.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    aaharvel wrote:
    no kidding- I mean with all due respect to the "senior" members here, this is just an internet forum is it not? Community? You betcha.. but still an online one at that.

I think someone needs to put down the keyboard and get outside more.

sorry if that offends some here- but I mean really.. :rolleyes:

Andrew, You are not active in the flea market so commenting in this thread is shortsighted. This is not just any internet forum and it's more than the senior members that make this place an extended family. Remember when the power went out a couple of weeks ago in Washington? A new member stepped up offering to help out any fellow Polkies in the dark.

Eiderlon screwed with the rules and should have behaved better. Jesse was short with him but right on point.

I haven't been here all that long but am proud that the majority of members are honorable. There is a disclaimer in the flea market that all sales are at our own risk but thanks to the hard work by Shack and others watching out for us, our flea market doesn't have too many problems. Having items shipped to you from different sellers before payment is made -- is not any internet forum. Not everyone does this and I'm not advocating it, but it happens here between some members for a reason.

Members help each other out not only on the forum but outside as well. Real life friendships are made both on this forum and during social get-together's like those held down the road in South Carolina.

Steve
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2007
    As a noob here I'm probably going to step in it now, but here's my .02.

As an old timer on a baord or two that has post count regulations on trades and sales, they're there as a minor protection from scammers stepping in and burning the members. Most of the time a board sets these up after the fact, and if it started here proactively, good for you all. I've seen countless times where a seller/trader burns someone, get's tossed, and comes back with another name the next day. With post count requirements, it gives the forum a fighting chance to out the guy before it happens again. The boards I play on mostly have to do with cigars, so usually we're not out tremendous sums, but here, it could involve some serious cash.

As far as cicurmventing the rules. Well, in an anonomous world such as this (until you start meeting people in person), you're only as good as your screen name reputation. And like it or not, even with the rules, and the mods in place, it's really the long time posters that establish the boards protocol.

Offend the sensibilities ofthe old guys, and you're toast on that board. The guy bent the rules, and torqued off a bunch of members, too bad, so sad, time for damage control. If he blows the deal after this now, he can expect to be shunned, if not banned.

Hopefully I doidn't step on anyone's toes too bad here. and as always JMHO.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    No, I think your 100% right on. I like the min post count as you can easily tell when the person is all about pimping an item as opposed to actually contributing.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    and of course, ther eis an element that anyone should be wary of doing trades with someone that has a small post count in this case, $30 in PR might be worth the risk if you need them, but buying a 2000.00 amp might not be prudent unless local pick up is a possibility.

hey, we can never perfectly ensure safty in these matters, but we can try. it will never be perfect.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    But we can crap in a newbie's wheaties!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    I just had a visual of Jesse bunked over, straining over someones cereal bowl.

Thanks, James.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    But the important questions remain unanswered:

Was he holding MIT cables?

Did the hair move?
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    The hair DOES NOT move. For ANYTHING. PERIOD...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:

+1
    Shack for president !!! ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: