Im smoke free for 1 week today!!!!

Fireman32
Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well I decided to quit smoking finally and I hit the one week mark today. I'm using the patch and it is working great. In the past when i've tried quitting I usually did not last for more than a few days but this time I have a good feeling about it. I hardly carve a cig at all anymore, if I do I just chew some gum and it passes within a few minutes. I think if I can get through another week like this I will finally overcome my habit of 23 years.

Dave
Post edited by Fireman32 on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Dave,

Congrats; you will make it this time. I ALSO quit last week on Wednesday; have not had one since then. Using Nicotine gum, which worked for me last time (I did quit for a bit over six months two years ago.....stupid me, started again).

Let's brake that month mark together!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Fireman32
    edited January 2007
    Glad to have somone quitting with me. Together we can do it!!
  • Kelley_Moore
    Kelley_Moore Posts: 57
    edited January 2007
    Congrats to both of you. Take all of the money you save and buy more Home Theater gear!!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited January 2007
    Good on ya both!

May sound silly, but the urge to smoke will go away whether you have a cig or not.

Almost 4 years for me. My two-month "gift" to myself was some new

speakers... guess what kind?

Keep it going, and best of luck to both of you!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Fireman32
    edited January 2007
    Bose right? Just kidding lol
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited January 2007
    Fireman32 wrote:
    Bose right? Just kidding lol

Don't laugh...
    I originally went in to listen to 601's!
    The kid at PC Richard talked me into Polks.
    Guess I owe him one?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited January 2007
    I smoked for 38 years,I had my last cigarette on Sept. 23/06.

You will come to point where your mind will start f@cking with you...hang tough and see your way through the temptation.

I never had much trouble getting through the physical withdraws,it's the mental part of this addiction that trys me.

Good luck,I know you guys can do it!!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Congrats to all of you former smokers! Stay positive & keep fighting. Your lungs will definately thank you!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    AWESOME!

Im rooting for you, good luck!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Good luck with you quitting. I'm one of the lucky ones that smoked for a while yet it fizzled out (thank goodness too, 3 members of my family have died from smoking related cancer) before it could ever pick up steam. Just keep your eyes to the sky, and you should be fine with a little bit of time. :)

Congrats!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2007
    Keep it up. Its all about will power. I watched 2 people in our family die due to smoking. Quiting is the best thing you can do.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    I wish I had the will power you all possess.. Ive been a smoker for 16 years(started when I was 13) and it is the stupidest thing that I have ever done.. Wake up at night coughing so hard that your head feels like it gonna split, and as soon as you get that cough surpressed(you guessed it) FIRE ONE UP!! Its ridiculous!! I may try to quit sometime in the very near future.. Congrats you two and all others that have kicked this horribly nasty addictive habit..

Josh
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Congrats Fireman!!! Guesss you'll have to find a way to change your screen name.

I quit the night of my wedding and haven't had one since. I also haven't had a single craving -- which I know is really, really against the norm. So I consider myself lucky for not really having to fight the same battle as so many others have. But then again, I didn't start smoking until I was 22... so that may have everything to do with it.

Keep up the good work and stay strong brudda..
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    Outstanding, hang tough man.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Congrats to all you guys for not smoking. That's a really hard thing to do and you should be so proud of yourselves.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Way to go, you two! That's awesome!

Fireman...if you so much as think of touching another cig...we'll hafta get ohskigod to come over there and take your rig away! :D

TennesseeOutlaw...step up to the plate; you're next!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    I hate Wrigley's spearmint. Good luck to the both of yous. All I can say is, when the urge strikes - think of what upgrade equipment will sound like.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2007
    I've got to do the same. It's one of the worst habits you can have that's for sure. I've smoked for the most part since I was 15 and I'm 40 now. Now that cigarettes have taken the major price hike in Texas, quitting could mean a "raise" of $100 a month! My grandfather died years ago sitting in his "easy chair" at home with a cigarette in his hand. OF course, there was a lot of mental anguish since my grandmother had passed a couple of years before. HE knew it was bad for his health but he just said "I have nothing to live for anymore". I've just got to quit. For my sake...and my family's.

Wish me luck...say a little prayer, etc.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited January 2007
    Congratulations on your commitments! It is one of the hardest things you'll ever earn in your life. A friend of mine in the healthcare business told me that it is easier to go thru withdrawals from a heroin addiction than a nicotine addiction! I quit over eight years ago after smoking for some 25 years. Once you get past the first couple of weeks, you have the physical aspect licked. Then it is a mental game. Be strong for all of the people you care about and that care about you. Best of luck!
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    I'll lite up a big fatty in honor of you all!!
    I know I should quit for the obvious reasons but....
    I LIKE IT TOO MUCH!!!!
    Congrats on the rest of you though,once you get past the mental part,it's easy.Quit myself for 5 yrs but life has a way of kickin' your **** to the point of dependancy on other stuff.I choose smokeing over being an alcholic,drug user,or flipped out mad man....works for me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2007
    Now that you have quit you will have to go out of your way to start again... :)

And we all know you wont start again, right??
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    IMHO it's genetics. An extended member of my family smoked 2-3 packs a day for 20+ years, quit and was happy. Then FFWD 20 years and after heart surgery (breathing on the tubes) emphysema kicked in. Others in my kin have died of high cholesterol.

Heck maybe I am wrong, but it's the way I choose to live. My hankering for different foods throughout the year (and eating the Mediterranean diet) keeps me happy.
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited January 2007
    Congrats to both of you. Take all of the money you save and buy more Home Theater gear!!!

Congratulations, guys! I was just thinking the same. At $5 a pack times 365 days,.. it's like .... a pair of new LSi15's each year!!!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Awesome job guys! Do this...

Everytime you would have bought a pack of cigs, take that money and throw it in a jar or something to see how it adds up. Bet you'll be shocked!

John
    No excuses!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Fireman Smoke free Hmmm.......

Fireman didn't need to put himself out!

Got it!

Good for you :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Good luck guys. It can be done. I stopped cold turkey 17 years ago...no patch...no gum. Just put them down and I have NEVER smoked another cigarette, cigar or pipe since.(or anything closely resembling..either legal or illegal).

You can do it and will be glad you did!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    I'm going on 4 1/2 years. Stick with it guys, you'll feel better and I believe your life expectancy went up immensely. It definitly gets easier over time and you'll actually start hating the smell. Worse than my dogs farts!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    Good on you, Dave.

Keep it up.

Tell you what. You make it a MONTH, I send you one of my fave LP's. You start again, you send it back. Capisce?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    What ever happens, DON'T take that one cigarrette...ever.
    Last time I quit was the first time I tried, and after one week it wasn't that difficult; you'll start enjoying the smell of so many things that you've forgotten, you'll feel better, you'll smell better yourself......
    After six months with absolutely no cravings, I was playing pocker with the neighborhood buddies and thought....what the heck....I feel like having ONE.....
    Since that day I started smoking MORE until last week.

So...DON't take that first one, EVER.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited January 2007
    I hate those damn things and what they do to people. They should take those things off the market and be done with it. That is the direction things are going up here. Cigarettes I think are close to $10 a pack up here and we in Manitoba are not allowed to smoke them in any enclosed public place. Even outdoor patios, outdoor sporting events, etc.

I can understand how the previous generations got hooked but how the youth of today can even consider those things, knowing what we now know is beyond me. I was never able to tolerate being in the same room with someone smoking....just feel like I am suffocating.

Good luck to all. I wish you all the best.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote