Lord of the Rings Tues 8/6

Options
rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
Will you be buying the Lord of the Rings DVD Tuesday?

I enjoyed the movie in the theater, but was not gaga about it. However, with its DD soundtrack, I think it will be a nice addition to the collection.

After looking at the various flyers in the Sunday paper, it seems Lord of the Rings is being marketed much the same way Harry Potter was, i.e. the lowest purchase price will be the week of 8/6 before it shoots up to $19.99 or $21.99.

So far, the lowest prices I've seen are $15.99 BB.
When CompUSA sold Harry Potter on opening day, it was $12.99 and sold out in 2 hours. Didn't see a CompUSA flyrer this morning, though.

I know some of you diehards will wait for the SE version, but quite frankly, I buy the movie for the movie, not all the extra crap that I rarely, if ever, watch. However, is it possible the SE will be DTS?
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I did not watch this at the theater because I know that I would enjoy this movie much more at home. Friends of mine that have seen it, went back to the theater two or three times. To most HT buffs this movie is a no brainer in the BUY department. I will rent and then buy the SE in November. For some reason the DVD reviews were not available at all until just the other day. Looks very impressive. Can't wait!
    Lord Of The Rings DVD review
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Did Eddie Rabbit ever make it onto the soundtrack? I can't remember.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Dammit! Russ, there not mine! Let it go man!:rolleyes:
    Where's the love?:supermad:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I didn't get that one..did I miss something????

Anyway I heard nothing but great things about this movie.I must go buy it on Tuesday........I just love Tuesdays.......Don't you??
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Yeah, you missed it. But obviously Scott doesn't want to talk about it. He can buy all the Eddie Rabbit albums he wants off E-bay, and it's none of our business.

Now let it go.... " 'cause it's.. gooooone too far...."
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Did Eddie Rabbit ever make it onto the soundtrack? I can't remember.....
    :lol:

$16 bucks, no brainer. I have yet to see it so I will buy. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan also streets, count me in on this one as well.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I didn't see it at the movies, but heard it was good. My birthday is
    Friday, one of my co-workers said he was getting it for me. I don't
    really care about the SE. I'm sort of funny, I like to be surprised by
    Hollywood. I don't want to know how it was done. So I rarely go to the Special Features unless they have deleted scenes. Looking
    forward to seeing it.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I was reading in Video Review not to buy it yet..the version with all the goodies..(special addition) doesn't come out until November...there are 2 versions comming out now but the most indepth one will be in November and is supposed to include the trailer for the Two Towers.
    I went and saw this in the theater and loved it........the movie was huge......and a bit long..I kept thinking how great it would be on my HT..I could pause and go get another beer..............
    Peace...StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Options
    ****I don't really care about the SE. I'm sort of funny, I like to be surprised by Hollywood. I don't want to know how it was done. So I rarely go to the Special Features unless they have deleted scenes.****

jmasterj, actually there is an extra 1/2 hour added to the movie which bumps it up to a R rating. Mostly extended battle scenes. That is one of the main reasons on waiting for the 4 disc SE. ;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I'm going to pick up LOTR this week. I was on a cruise last week and they were showing it on the ship every day. I didn't see it in the theater and resisted watching it last week so I can see it in the comfort of my own HT. (no screaming kids, cell phones, people talking, walking in front of you, etc...).

I may pick up Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan (maybe the best of the ST series) but I am definitely going to pick up this one.

B00005JKO7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edition Details:
    • Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
    • Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen
    • Theatrical trailer(s)
    • A conversation with Ray Harryhausen
    • "Map of myths and monsters" gallery
    • All-new digital transfer
    • Cast film highlights
    • Widescreen anamorphic format

For anyone interested in Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion animation this is a classic. Too bad it will only be in DD 2.0 but there is always DPL II. Best Buy will have it on sale for $14.99.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Now let it go.... " 'cause it's.. gooooone too far...."

Jcaut, thanks for the support.:) Hey I kid/joke/sarcastic even more than the next person. But there not even my albums to defend. Here is a pic of my music that I can defend. :D
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ya know....on second thought.. I might not want to piss a guy like you off. :) Good evening!

Really though, I couldn't resist another song quote. LOL:D

Jason
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Greetings all!

I'm with Shack-I'm all over "Clash of the titans" one of my most anticipated dvd's :D

For those interested-"Blockbuster" has a special going on right now which I took advantage of...buy a gift card for $24.99 which
    reserves your copy of LOTR-FOTR (ws/fs dvd or vhs) and includes
    1 rental per week for 10 weeks,so for apx. $8.00 more than CC or BB you get 10 dvd rentals...
    not too bad for someone who is interested in renting sometimes.
    considering a rental is usually like 4 and change per rental :eek:

CHEERS! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The 4 disc special edition due in November will have about a half hour of footage added in along with a new DTS ES 6.1 soundtrack which will rock! The movie will be spread across 2 discs to allow for the added soundtrack and less compression of the video.

Great to see they're doing it up right! I'll wait for it.

John
    No excuses!
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited August 2002
    Options
    So who's going to wait for the (likely overpriced) SE of LORs? Will the $15.99 DD version suffice?
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I WILL wait to buy the SE. But I will rent it tomorrow. The SE will sound better on my 6.1 setup. $15.99 ya right - not in my town.
    $19.99 is more like it. I don't think the SE will sell for much more.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    Options
    $15.99 at Best Buy in Rochester, NY. I will probably cave and by it, because we loved it so much at the movies.

When I return all the 5 cent beer and pop cans every few weeks, I use the scratch to buy a DVD!

Correct - the SE Edition will have DTS 6.1, and I might sell my DD version at that point and buy the DTS version just for the sound upgrade. WTF don't they just add DTS at the outset?!! It is much better sounding (more open, airy, and less compressed and also with deeper and stronger bass) than DD IMHO.

The SE version will command a $10 premium over the regular DD version - a veritable bargain for the DTS upgrade, and all the extra footage, etc.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2002
    Options
    i dont understnd y you need makeing of the movie or the teaset of the new movie but extrafottage and a beter sound track is a good thing but for more that the origonal that is stupid i just wish they would put the good sound on the base dvd also did you see the p&s dvd of harry potter was cheaper than the ws that is backward they have to modify the movie to make it p&s
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Huh? What?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Speak'n'Spell, brotha Speak'n'Spell.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I think the REAL question should be, who is geeky enough to hit Best Buy at midnight to buy the movie???
  • goingganzo
    edited August 2002
    Options
    got my copy for 14.40 i went to target with a copy of best buys flyar yeah i have a family member that works there so i got 10%off of the 15.99 that thay matchef from bb
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I got it I watched it and It was a good movie.......very good.
    Dan
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The movie was amazing. Harry Potter has been put to shame. Heeee! Heeee!
    People are going to be blowing alot a subwoofers on this movie. Loud soundtrack - must repair some new cracks in the ceiling. The PSW1200 was getting a hell of a work out.
    Glad I waited to see this in my theater.
    This movie was made for DVD.
    *widescreen*
    *digital sorround sound* (especially 6.1)
    *big screen*
    If you are missing any of these elements you are not truly experenceing this movie for what it is.
    Whoaaaaa! :D
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I agree Scott, an amazing movie with an amazing A/V presentation.

My Tempest Sonosub knocked DVDs off there shelf and onto the floorthumbsup.gif

If...
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Hold on to your receipt for Lord of The Rings....cuz if you do get the SE later.....they'll probably give you rebate or discount if you have the 1st one.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Included with the DVD is the rebate info, it was either $5 or $10, I don't remember.

If...
  • goingganzo
    edited August 2002
    Options
    i can say this movie is a definite has alot of bass i found i had a few more rattles but it realey makes you want to see the next one
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    A little better, run that by me ONE more time... ;)
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I agree with that,
    My sub hit real hard and loud.That movie is bad ****!!
    Dan