Rate increase (FedEx, UPS, & USPS)

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Got a shock when I went to ship something out today. The price more than doubled since I originally calculated it using the online shipping calculator(s). FedEx said they had an average increase of 4.9% - but what was originally going to cost me $13 was now $28! Am I crazy or is 4.9% of $13 $.63? :confused: $28 is more than twice the price :eek:
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Tell me about it!!!!!!!

I just shipped a bunch of items and took it in the shorts on every one. I ended up paying double for shipping than I was quoted on-line (and in turn, quoted to the buyers). Ate the difference on every single one of 'em. On one item I pretty much broke even.

4.9% my ****
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    holy crap!

I just shipped two items UPS last night and it cost me $53 for one and $49 for the other!

From MA to CA.

Not to mention their signature required service is now $4.30 per package.

Totally insane.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Complete garbage... I asked the guy at the FedEx drop-off what the deal was and he said "oh, it happens at the end of every year". BS!! At that rate, it would cost you 7 gazillion dollars just to ship something next door...

Something afoot sez Sherlock.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • halo
    edited January 2007
    FedEx used to be the least expensive. Now they're all very similar in price. I broke even (thank gawd). At least I know what to do when quoting people from here on out :( That or local pick up only! ;)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Gas prices and raises in minimum wage I'm sure contributed. **** though.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2007
    I just paid $18 to ship a CD player FedEx ground from MI to IL. Last time I shipped a similar package to the same state, it was $8.90.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2007
    Gas prices and raises in minimum wage I'm sure contributed.

How could minimum wage increases affect shipping costs? No one at FedEX , USPS, or UPS works for minimum wage, or even close to it.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Gives 'em an excuse, though.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited January 2007
    I ship all the time with FedEx Ground and I haven't seen a significant increase. I just shipped a 16lb package from GA to NJ and it was only $10.50, which was exactly what I thought it would be. The real key to estimating shipping with any of the services is to enter a DETAILED package description. If you do a generic (at least with FedEx) it does a 1x1x1 package. When you show up with a 24x20x12 package, its higher because of the oversized package fees. Another key is to always say that its a non-residential address, that saves $1.50. The only difference there, is it will be delivered by a big truck instead of those smaller home delivery vans. You also give up Saturday delivery but get Monday deliver (little known fact, FedEx Home=No Monday delivery!) I still think FedEx Ground is the cheaper method if you are comparing agains UPS or USPS. If you have a DHL Ground facility near you, they will be even cheaper yet.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    Last year someone in the shipping business told me that UPS would be changing to dimensional weight this January. From what he heard, FedEx would not be doing this right away but may follow suit if this does not open a niche for them. Based on UPS's website, packages slightly larger than 16"x16"x16" will be slapped with the new rates.

Dimensional Weight Replaces Oversize in 2007
    Effective January 1, 2007, Oversize charges for larger packages shipped via UPS Ground services will be replaced with a simpler rate calculation based on dimensional weight. Dimensional weight will only apply to UPS Ground packages measuring three cubic feet (5,184 cubic inches) or larger. Packages measuring less than three cubic feet will continue to be billed based on actual weight. As a result of this change, dimensional weight charges will gradually increase as the package size increases, eliminating significant steps from one Oversize tier to the next.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited January 2007
    I used Purolator calculator online and it quoted me 23 dollars for a 600 dollar insured shipment, with the measured dimensions and weight. When I went to the drop off it ended up being 44 dollars. It's a big scam. Should print it out and take it with.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • halo
    edited January 2007
    I used Purolator calculator online and it quoted me 23 dollars for a 600 dollar insured shipment, with the measured dimensions and weight. When I went to the drop off it ended up being 44 dollars. It's a big scam. Should print it out and take it with.

Mike
    I did the same thing w/ the on-line FedEx calculator. Did not matter if I did a quick quote or a detailed quote - the price was the same. When I got to the counter it was more than double what the calculator quoted. Bait & switch / false advertising should = lawsuits.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I've had the same experience with the on-line calculators, so I don't use them. I usually guess the amount of shipping based on prior experience.

I found the best way to save money on shipping is to take the package directly to UPS or Fedex, if possible. No middleman. Also, work with the buyer to ship the package to a business location, if possible, and/or set up a business account. This option works even if you have a home-based business.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Odd, haven't seen those kind of increases at all and I use UPS Worldship 9.0 every single business day for multiple packages. Guess it's because I have my own UPS business account or something....? :confused:
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2007
    If you print it out and bring it to them it does nothing, I've tried it at UPS.

I had to send some speakers in for repair, was quoted $60 online and it was ~$90 in the store. I asked to see the measurements and it was the exact same height, width, and length...the only thing different was the weight was 3lbs less then what I put in on line. I complained and showed him the quote and asked it to do it himself online with the exact specs he had taken.

He said "it must be a glitch in the system" and there was nothing he could do. Needless to say I got a little upset because it was the third time the "glitch" had happened to me, so he went on the defensive and said the site is wrong and there was nothing they could do. It was more of an estimate anyway and what the store says goes, "do you want to ship them or not?" Sucks.

Jared
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    I don't understand.... why are you doing the online estimate if you just bring it to the store anyways? Why not just print out the label and have it picked up?
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Talk to me Bob:D

Do you have to have an account to do this? Is there an extra charge? Do they honor the label or find a way to "resize" or "remeaure" from time to time?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    They make you measure the dimensions of the box when you take it to the store? :confused:

No wonder you guys are pissed.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    I found the best way to save money on shipping is to take the package directly to UPS or Fedex, if possible. No middleman.

DING, DING! Yes, ALWAYS take it directly to a FedEx Staffed location, not FedEx Authorized! Same for UPS. The UPS Store IS always higher than the website because they are independently owned franchises. You must take it directly to the UPS Customer Center to get the rates online.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sometimes the simplest solution is the..... simplest solution. Thanks Bill... everything makes a bit more sense now.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    You don't need any kind of special account to ship. You just go to their website, set up an online account, then set up a shipment. Enter all the information for the package, print out the label, slap it on, and then set up a pickup time.

To be honest, I've never tried to set up a pickup time from my house - my work has a daily pickup so I just let that guy grab it when he's here.