oddly content

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
you know something, for perhaps the first time I've been in this audio hobby, I'm pretty content with what I got.

with the addition of the AR9's, I am so digging the 2 channel. I have no compultion to upgrade any component. all it needs is a 1/2 - 45 minute warm up time, and its good to go. even in my sound challenged basement.

not to mention that I've been content and happy with my theater for a while. the last cog in the wheel being the SVS plus driver in my DIY sub. 1 sub, fills the room just right. sounds sweet top to bottom.

hell, I dont even have a temptation to get like interconnects or anything. Like I said, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

wierd feeling.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Have you seen a doctor?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ohskigod
    edited January 2007
    the only place where I can think to sink money is the vinyl rig, but there is not that big of a call. if a bad@ss deal came along, I might hit it, but I'm not looking like crazy for it.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Spoken like a true junkie.
    Too much denial in this room.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ohskigod
    edited January 2007
    :D we'll see
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Well... more power to ya. Congrats! You gotta love it when the beast has been fed and put to bed. I'm extremely content with the majority of my pieces, and it feels really good to be that way. I think I just love hearing new gear too much to sit idle on one piece... even if it's a lateral move.

I believe the speakers will stay awhile, but everything else is fair game when I think about it. But I'm satisfied.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    Me too. I'm in the "replace when it breaks" mode. Although sometime in the distant future (2 or more years), I will take the speaker plunge again, this time in the $5k/pr bracket.

When my CEC CD Player finally dies, it'll get replaced with a Rotel RCD-1072.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I can't wait until I'm at that stage. I'm in the stage where I buy new "better" components before I even sit down and listen to what I have.

This week I've bought two amps and a new preamp. I now have four different stereo amps for my two channel system, soon to be three different preamps, and 2 different sets of speakers.

Need to make some decisions and sell the rest.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    You know, I keep saying that....and for the most part, I am as well (in no small thanks to Lou).

The Quads have really brought me joy. True sonic euphoria. To the extent, I really haven't much interest in other speakers. The downside to that was I showed weakness in my sources. I've got GOOD sources but not to the level of the amp/pre and speakers. That is being remedied though. I JUST, I mean literally just installed the stand alone motor to my turntable and I'm waiting for the UPS man to deliever my sacdmods modded Sony SCD-555ES player (after hearing what he did with the cheaper player, I HAD to get one of the 555's modded).

The SDA rig, now don't think I don't love my SDA's, I do, but they aren't in the same category as the Quads. For my listening preferences, anyhow. Don't think I'm going all anti-SDA, I'm not. However, my listening tastes have always prefered the planar sound.

Eventually, you realize I guess that hoarding gear for the sake of it is a PITA as is making wholesale changes in the sound of your rig.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Surely this is one of the 7 signs......:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    .... and here come the locusts.
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    If I had a house right now (like I had planned) and a dedicated listening area for 2-channel, I would be loving my B&K gear as it's easily the best sonically.

But, looks like another year in the apartment and therefore another year of waiting to build a REAL 2-channel system. So, I think I am going with "decent sound and convenience" that the Nad pre, Carver amp (much smaller than B&K, a big plus) and the Thiels will bring for the foreseeable future.

Congrats on your state of contention, Oski. I, unfortunately, Can't Get No Satisfaction!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    enjoy the contentment while it lasts,,as this too,shall come to pass;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    edited January 2007
    For me, the contentment HAS to last. I'm at the point where I can't afford to upgrade. I can go lateral but not really up.

Me, I KNOW I'll never have (barring hitting the lotto) a REAL high end rigs nor do I know if I'd really want a rig THAT specific to certain sound. Nope, I'm content to reside in mid to upper-mid fidelity.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited January 2007
    Surely this is one of the 7 signs......:p

..and the pink-fuzzy handcuffs isn't? :D

BDT
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    Troy, you'll always be hi-fi in my book.

FYI, I posted the above BEFORE I read "pink handcuffs." Don't get the wrong idea :)
  • TroyD
    edited January 2007
    awwww...shucks.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Content? How boring; no waiting for the UPS truck? No opening boxes just to see how good the packaging was? No installing new gear? No deciding what's the best location for that new piece???

Man, if you have nothing like that in your mind, what do you do? Sit down and listen to music??? As I said...how boring.. :D

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    "Music?!?"
    What the hell is "music"?:D
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    AndyGwis wrote:
    Wow, I can't wait until I'm at that stage. I'm in the stage where I buy new "better" components before I even sit down and listen to what I have.

This week I've bought two amps and a new preamp. I now have four different stereo amps for my two channel system, soon to be three different preamps, and 2 different sets of speakers.

Need to make some decisions and sell the rest.

I am in the stereo amp market.. You decide to get rid of something PM me.. Im needing 300 wpc @ 8ohms, if you have something in that range..
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Me, I KNOW I'll never have (barring hitting the lotto) a REAL high end rigs nor do I know if I'd really want a rig THAT specific to certain sound. Nope, I'm content to reside in mid to upper-mid fidelity.

BDT

Same here, even my hobby-insanity has limits. I will do some very nice speakers before it's all said and done--but that's it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    I JUST, I mean literally just installed the stand alone motor to my turntable

BDT

Details man details!!!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    I'm getting there, slowly, but I know the point at which I'll quit upgrading. I have other hobbies that cost me a lot more money, so it's not like I can keep doing all of them. I'd say a full LSi line with amps/pre is good enough for me, and that's what I am working towards. I just want my B & K pre and the rest of the LSis.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    ohskigod wrote:
    the only place where I can think to sink money is the vinyl rig, but there is not that big of a call. if a bad@ss deal came along, I might hit it, but I'm not looking like crazy for it.

Are you sitting there with a straight face saying that you don't need to tweak or eek out just a weeeeee little bit more performance out of the 2 ch rig????

Come on now, you can't tell me you don't need to check your stylus pressure just to make sure the suspension on your cantilever didn't relax a bit and you need to lighten up the down pressure . . . uh, how about checking the level of your TT overall to make sure that hasn't shifted ever so slightly that you are going to have to adjust the anti-skating force on your tonearm. . . or how about . . . should I keep up the torture???:D

How about checking the friction of your tonearm bearing, does it need just a drop more damping fluid or even better how about your spindle bearing on your turntable, are you sure it doesn't need a drop or two of 40W motor oil on the bearing shaft and the bearing itself? LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    ohskigod wrote:
    all it needs is a 1/2 - 45 minute warm up time, and its good to go. .

Do you leave your solid state equipment on all the time?

My rig is all solid state and the only thing I ever turn off is the digital transport. I even leave my Adcom 565 monos on all the time they never, even at loud long listening sessions, come up more than a bit warm.
  • ohskigod
    edited January 2007
    Are you sitting there with a straight face saying that you don't need to tweak or eek out just a weeeeee little bit more performance out of the 2 ch rig????

Come on now, you can't tell me you don't need to check your stylus pressure just to make sure the suspension on your cantilever didn't relax a bit and you need to lighten up the down pressure . . . uh, how about checking the level of your TT overall to make sure that hasn't shifted ever so slightly that you are going to have to adjust the anti-skating force on your tonearm. . . or how about . . . should I keep up the torture???:D

How about checking the friction of your tonearm bearing, does it need just a drop more damping fluid or even better how about your spindle bearing on your turntable, are you sure it doesn't need a drop or two of 40W motor oil on the bearing shaft and the bearing itself? LOL

you seem to be shockingly unaware of my relative lack of mechanical skill :D:D:D:D...LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    ohskigod wrote:
    you seem to be shockingly unaware of my relative lack of mechanical skill :D:D:D:D...LOL

Now I just put the bug in your ear and the illness will set in . . . mu he ha ha ha haaaaaaaa.:eek: :p

No mechanical skill is involved trust me if there were I would be **** out of luck.:D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    ohskigod wrote:

WAAAAAAA!!!

HI is also "shockingly unaware" of the current day or even month due to his incessant tweaking which keeps him from food, loved ones, all manner of engagements, personal appearances both professional and casual, all sporting events, court dates, conference calls, etc, etc, etc:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    WAAAAAAA!!!

HI is also "shockingly unaware" of the current day or even month due to his incessant tweaking which keeps him from food, loved ones, all manner of engagements, personal appearances both professional and casual, all sporting events, court dates, conference calls, etc, etc, etc:D

LOL Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you have no idea how true that is!!!!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Now on a serious note, I think I am done upgrading on components; my current source/pre and amp really please me and I don't think I'd spend any more money on gear (yeah, I bought a pair of ASL tube amps last week...but you need to understand that my pre has two sets of outputs...couldn't leave one empty...could I.....)

BUT.....I am a freak for speakers; love listening to differences between them, and most speakers have their strenghts, so it's fun to swap them. I swap between the Carver AL-III's and 3.1 TL's a lot....the Carver's got more listening time, but the upgraded crossovers in the SDA's might change that....

With the tube amps I'll play with some cheap monitors. I think part of the fun of this thing is to experience different things; for me it makes it so much more enjoyable.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    I think part of the fun of this thing is to experience different things; for me it makes it so much more enjoyable.

And there my friend is where my tweaking compulsion comes from. I like to experience different things WITHOUT buying new gear (if possible) one such experiment was. . . I have my 1.2tls on MYE Sound points. I want to do the bass brace but at this point I can't go digging into the walls. So how to keep those huge cabinets from resonating? I placed a 25 lb back of lead shot on top of each speaker. Sounds good . . . bass is tighter no midrange mud, image seems a little more detailed. I then place eight sobothane pods strategically on top of each speaker. . . it sounds like someone threw a blanket over the front of the speakers, off comes the sorbothane.

After doing a few things like the above I then sit and listen happily until the next day.