aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    To soon to tell.

Dosnt really matter. May turn out theyll both not survive. Wouldnt that be hilarious.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2007
    I should declare my new paper disc format the winner. Because it would have just as much truth.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2007
    Way to soon to tell. HD-DVD blew out of the gate with a bang. Blu started out with a whimper. Now, Blu is gaining some momentum, I'm sure HD-DVD will pick up speed here shortly.

No way is this format war going anywhere soon. Give it a couple of years then we may have a winner. Both companies have invested way too much to just roll over and die off.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    Definitely too soon to tell. As Ron said, HD-DVD was stellar from the get go and Blu-ray was very underwhelming. Now Blu-ray is beginning to flex its muscles and show that it can match if not exceed the image quality of HD-DVD. (Thanks to higher bit rates and larger capacity.) It is going to be a long while before anyone can determine a winner. So many people are heavily invested in DVDs and HD playback is a very niche market at this point.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,182
    edited January 2007
    HD DVD has lost some steam. I see it out in the field. Blue Ray players are selling, I can't remember the last HD DVD player I Installed.

Both formats do look great. I perfer to own both. I'd like to see them both make it. They both off so much.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • IanD
    IanD Posts: 59
    edited January 2007
    mantis wrote:
    HD DVD has lost some steam. I see it out in the field. Blue Ray players are selling, I can't remember the last HD DVD player I Installed.

Both formats do look great. I perfer to own both. I'd like to see them both make it. They both off so much.

Dan
    Any thoughts on the new dual format (Blu/HD) player that LG is launching? Could this be the saving grace for both formats?
    Yamaha RX-V1500
    Pioneer Elite DV-46AV
    Scientific Atalana 8300 PVR-HD
    Panasonic TH-42PX60U
    Polk RTi10
    Polk CSi5
    Polk F/Xi3
    Polk PSW 350
    Mike's IC's
    DIY speaker cables (Kimber 4VS Shotgunned)
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited January 2007
    Notice they based that off of the 1 million PS3's that SHIPPED. OK there is no way Sony sold all off those PS3's, almost every store I go to has them getting dusty on the selves.

Howie
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Even Blue Rays most optimistic forecasts have HD-DVD at 14% market share in 2009. They are bragging because they have the best vaporware and are currently lagging behind HD-DVD and need to self generate some good news.

To me, I think HD-DVD will have a hard time fading if only because of the name. Right now its still early adoptors, but as more and more J6P people buy into HDTV, they will naturally want HD-DVD, after all, they didn't buy a blue ray TV.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Even Blue Rays most optimistic forecasts have HD-DVD at 14% market share in 2009. They are bragging because they have the best vaporware and are currently lagging behind HD-DVD and need to self generate some good news.

To me, I think HD-DVD will have a hard time fading if only because of the name. Right now its still early adoptors, but as more and more J6P people buy into HDTV, they will naturally want HD-DVD, after all, they didn't buy a blue ray TV.

I whole heartedly agree with this. There's so much in a name, and Blu-Ray not only has the wrong name, it hit the market late,
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    I think it's a bit unfair for Blu-Ray to declare victory over HD-DVD, base on numbers since their total is based upon PS3 game consoles also.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    Betamax declares victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have fallen into the big dark pit on this one and am not buying either this year.

RT1
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    So far in audio / No where in video...

It like the balloon thing squeeze one end the other end GETS really BIG but the end Squeezed is ZILCH.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Doesnt matter to me. I cant afford either, so Ill be happy with my "normal" DVD's for now.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    The rich get richer and poorer get poorerer.
    I ask people what they own, the poor, "i can't afford either". The rich, same question, "i own both 360with HD Drive and PS3".

Blu-Ray is banking on storage capacity. It's the age we live in. Games, media and HD movies will all benifit from the larger storage. ;)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Since very few movies these days keep me awake more than for about the first 20 minutes, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell the difference between regular DVD and the HD/Blue formats. I'll wait it out, I'm still amazed at the PQ I get with a decent DVD player and my Sony CRT!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    Since very few movies these days keep me awake more than for about the first 20 minutes, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell the difference between regular DVD and the HD/Blue formats. I'll wait it out, I'm still amazed at the PQ I get with a decent DVD player and my Sony CRT!
    Sorry man, but you may want to pick a new hobbie...............:confused:
    Try some of that HumanSlingshot action.:D
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    That human slingshot thing was a hoot! Most of my effort goes into my 2 ch system. I just don't find very many movies that will hold my interest for the whole show. Not enough **** going boom!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2007
    Too bad they can't both be boycotted to show them that we as consumers deserve better for our hard earned dollars than to be embroiled in yet another format war.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited January 2007
    I thought HD-DVD has the **** industry...

****>blu-ray
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    How much benefit can I expect to see from HD-DVD (or Blueray) over standard DVD on a 50" tv from 12-14' viewing distance? I had thought I would not see much of a difference until I upgraded to a front projector. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    IMHO it sure is ...

Judging by your question I would assume ?! that you don't have HD cable or satellite ...

If you did I would think the differences would already be obvious ...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    There's a huge difference. It's the difference between black & white and color television to me.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-Audio can ALL sit on the shelf until these a-holes can decide to stop using consumers for R&D as far as I'm concerned.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • McLoki
    edited January 2007
    I do have an HD TV - (hitachi 50") and get some OTA hd information, but only watch one program each week in HD (heroes). I also do not have an optical cable going back from my TV to my Pre/Pro so I do not have 5.1 running when watching HD information.

I have never seen anything in HD that I could just switch to another input and see it in standard DVD so I am sure it is a case where I just am not aware of what I am missing. (Right now I would rather watch lost on DVD with 5.1 surround and no commercials rather than watch it in HD on the TV speakers with commercials. (no, I dont' have a DVR - standard or High Def.)

I am looking forward to the chicago (bloomington really) polk mini-meet just to get some perspecive how good or how much difference there is.

Hopefully I will get over to mikes house soon (he is hosting the meet) and be able to see what HD-DVD looks and sounds like. I have still not seen it in an actual home environment with a decent audio setup.

I am guessing that I am not the only one that is in the same boat. It is just to expensive to get into now (imo - and for my setup) when there is a 50/50 chance of a $600 player no longer being supported and any movies you purchase will have to be purchased again in a new format. If there is a good reason to believe that both formats will continue into the forseeable future or that one format will win over the other - I may go for it. (then again - if it is a big difference, I may go for it anyway)...

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2007
    howie777 wrote:
    Notice they based that off of the 1 million PS3's that SHIPPED. OK there is no way Sony sold all off those PS3's, almost every store I go to has them getting dusty on the selves.

Howie

What's wrong with the ps3? It's a top quality piece of HT equipment with stuff even the $1000 players don't have.

I checked online. Frys and BB are sold out and are even running into shortages in stuff like controllers, games, and blu-ray movies. I had a helluva time tracking down a local place that still had black hawk down. And although circuit city still has them, they are the top seller at the moment even beating out ipods.

Could they sell 4 million instead of 6 million by the summer? Sure, and they would miss their sales targets if they did. But I wouldn't confuse an ease in supply constraints with gathering dust. They are still moving nationally even if you don't think they're moving where you live. They've easily sold over 1 million units by now. To suggest they haven't is just plain silly. ;)
  • McLoki
    edited January 2007
    cheddar wrote:
    What's wrong with the ps3? It's a top quality piece of HT equipment with stuff even the $1000 players don't have.
    no one is saying something is wrong with the PS3, but there is something fishy with proclaiming a format victory based on someone purchasing a gaming system. (assuming most people purchase it as a gaming system first and blu-ray player a distant second)

You could just as easily add every xbox360 into the HD-DVD camp. (although they would require an additional hardware purchase to play HD-DVD's where the PS3 does not.)

Anyway - victory will be proclaimed when all HD movies are offered in one format or the other and devepment stops on players for the losing format.

We are a ways away from that.

Michael
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2007
    I think this was the strategy all along. To flood the market with blu-ray players via the ps3. If you haven't tried one yet, you probably don't realize that it really is a top tier hd player. The PQ is equal or superior to the samsung and sony stand alones and it includes hdmi 1.3 which means deep color and Dolby True HD and DTS-HD pass through to hdmi 1.3 components to be released this summer. It does have draw backs such as no analog outs and a bluetooth remote instead of infrared so better range but no universal compatibility. But to compare it to the 360's clunky add-on with no hdmi support at all is not comparing equals. I'd say go ahead and include the 360 add-on sales anyways. They certainly won't approach the 4-6 million ps3s that will sell by this summer.

I, too, think that it's too early to declare a winner in the format war. But not including the sales of the ps3 in the blu-ray player figures is just silly IMHO. If they've got a set that will play hd games, they'll probably pick up some blu-ray titles at some point. The same crowd that would play resistance fall of man on a 50" screen with 5.1 sound effects screaming out of their speakers will probably want to see underworld evolution with kate hacking away at the undead.

Again, the ps3 is a very capable HT component. I have it and it is as solid and responsive as any other player I've ever had. Maybe even moreso 'cause I don't have to aim the remote at a little IR square all the time to get it to pick up the signal.

But keep it out of your player counts if you must. I don't see how that would give you anything but a very skewed picture of the total player market. I'm still playing games on my 360, but the next purchases I will make for my ps3 will all be blu-ray movies.