Custom SDA's 120dbl and climbing

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have been working on some custom SDA's that are 6 feet tall. They presently have 8mw's, 2 10" passives, and 4 tweets. Right now I'm messing with cabinet volume, and crossovers. They are being run purely stereo for the moment with an electronic crossover set at 2500 high pass low pass. A GFA-555 is running the woofers, and 2 channels of a GFA-7500 are running the tweeters. I am attaining 120dbl clean C weighted slow response with a radio shack digital spl meter. My apartment has paneling walls that are vibrating to the point of being blurry. The bass is so nice and tight. The vocals of Billy Joel have never sounded so clean. I am debating wether to tri amp these home brews so they each have 8 stereo drivers, 4 dimensional, and 4 tweeters. With the 3rd amp running dimensional duty so the stereo drivers will not be tainted in any way by the dimensional array.

When will the madness stop!
Ben
attachment.php?attachmentid=21872&stc=1&d=1168836166
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
HG.JPG 314.2K
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2007
    Options
    pictures and more details please
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Be sure to wear your white lab coat. Easier to tell when your ears start bleeding.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Be sure to wear your white lab coat. Easier to tell when your ears start bleeding.
    I used to run A/D/S 320Is in my 68 Bronco with an A/D/S PQ10 amp bridged, and I thought that was loud, and clear. I am thoroughly amazed at how loud and clear these are!

PS Thare are no caps or inductors within these speakers walls. I am now listening to some Kenny Rollins The Bridge, and the sax, and symbols never sounded so Good!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    When will the madness stop!
    I guess when you're deaf ...

The SRT's can make 120+ dB as well but it's pointless to take them there ...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I think it's cool that you're experimenting, I'm sure you're having fun. 120dB is quite loud, but in short durations should be ok on the ears. Just not something you want make a habit of. I'm surprised your apt. neighbors aren't calling the police. :eek:

I've had my 2.3TL's peak at 117db at 2 meters, more than loud enough for me and I only did it once to test the limits, which were not reached.

Of note, the SRT's can hit 125dB and came with warnings about hearing loss.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    What?

Thats peak from about 12 feet. I'd say average sustained is 115dbl from seating position. Which is really really too loud to listen to for any length of time. I really wish you guys were closer so you could hear these, and I could hear your's :) Now i just have to figure out how to get the SDA affect into the puzzle!

PS No neighbors :D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    I used to run A/D/S 320Is in my 68 Bronco with an A/D/S PQ10 amp bridged, and I thought that was loud, and clear. I am thoroughly amazed at how loud and clear these are!

Sorry but I just noticed this. I had that same amp for a LONG time. Unbeleivable quality in the smallest package. Hell it even took 10 gauge wire to power it on. Great amp, I still have mine laying around. I'll have to find it.

Anyway, awesome speakers, they look incredible. Any plans on finishing them? Veneer? Laquer?
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I think I am going to wrap them in cherry veneer. I have a cabinet shop at my full disposal.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I've been dying to redo the veneer on my monitors....just can't get myself to do it cause I know I'll leave it worse than it was.

Can't wait to see the finished pics of those in the cherry.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Are your monitors square edged or are they rounded? If they are square it is actually pretty easily done. The stuff goes on just like contact paper!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Now i just have to figure out how to get the SDA affect into the puzzle!
    If you want to try an experiment ...

The SRT's are built with separate inputs for the Stereo and SDA arrays. The stereo ( inside ) array containing tweeters can be fed directly by the amp output. The SDA ( outside ) array is fed by the amp output first being fed through the SRT controller. The controller is in essense the SDA wiring removed from the speakers and put inside another box.

So ... One would think that you could achieve the SDA effect by ordering an SRT controller from Polk ( Yes the last I checked they still have them ) and using it in this manner. You would of course need to have different binding posts on your speakers for the Stereo and SDA arrays and internally they would need to be separate arrays.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Very interesting. I will have to look into that.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    OK I have finally had the time to wire the SDA effect into my speakers. I used the SDA1.2TL approach with an inductor between the ground of the dimensional speakers. I am running 8 Ohm speakers instead of 4 Ohms. The Resistance of the inductor is almost 3 Ohms alone. The SDA effect is definitely there. Not as prevalent as my SDA2's. I will be ordering new low resistance inductors to replace the inductors that I have now. They also need to be a different value due to the change in the impedance of the dimensional array. The end result is somewhere between where I am now, and my SDA2's. Pink Floyd sounds awesome now, but I know that the depth isn't quite there.
    I'm back at it
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I have the new rti12's and they hit the 120 db level at 10 feet and at 2 feet they hit over the 130 db limit on my meter. These babys really scream, I still am waiting for a pair of SRS or SDA's to come my way.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    hangon wrote:
    I have the new rti12's and they hit the 120 db level at 10 feet and at 2 feet they hit over the 130 db limit on my meter. These babys really scream, I still am waiting for a pair of SRS or SDA's to come my way.

Really??? What are using for power?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    hangon wrote:
    I have the new rti12's and they hit the 120 db level at 10 feet and at 2 feet they hit over the 130 db limit on my meter. These babys really scream.

WOW! I'm glad you don't live next door:D
    Carl

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Options
    hangon wrote:

Uh, that would be requiring 1000W/Channel. So you own the power company or something?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    OK I have finally had the time to wire the SDA effect into my speakers. I used the SDA1.2TL approach with an inductor between the ground of the dimensional speakers. I am running 8 Ohm speakers instead of 4 Ohms. The Resistance of the inductor is almost 3 Ohms alone. The SDA effect is definitely there. Not as prevalent as my SDA2's. I will be ordering new low resistance inductors to replace the inductors that I have now. They also need to be a different value due to the change in the impedance of the dimensional array. The end result is somewhere between where I am now, and my SDA2's. Pink Floyd sounds awesome now, but I know that the depth isn't quite there.
    I'm back at it
    Ben

Wow, I've never actually seen someone try to build a pair of SDA's from the ground up, with all the bells and whistles.

Any chance we could get some pics of the cabinet's insides?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Options
    This thread is so silly.

We can start making a list of memorable hangon quotes.
    Smell inside it when it is warmed up. If a transmitter is getting to hot or ready to burn out it gets hot and smells burnt. This only works sometimes.
    2-ohm for limited time Polks cant take that much power.

...and the 130db gem above.

Just looking at the numbers for 1m distance, you'll need 512 watts to hit 116db with the 90db RTi12's. Right at the top of their power limits. You'll need 16,392 watts to hit 131db (if they could handle that, which they obviously cannot).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Eh, I was giving him the benifit of having a 5.1 system playing balls out at 1000W/channel to get the 130. Or course I thought they were 92's not 90's. Yup, sparkling gems...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    Options
    What I wanted to know was what he had covering his ears when measuring 130 db at one meter ... It's either that or he ain't hearing nuttin no mo ...
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Refefer wrote:
    Wow, I've never actually seen someone try to build a pair of SDA's from the ground up, with all the bells and whistles.

Any chance we could get some pics of the cabinet's insides?

These are cabinets that are just "prototypes" that have been modified for different configurations. The bracing in these is decent, but not how I am going to do the finished product. I will post pics of the insides of the finished product. The 2 10's are about 15% undersized from the big boy SDA's. The 1.2's and the 2.3's both have 15 inch PRs. The 1.2's have 8 MW's in them, and the 2.3's have 6 MWs in them. I am going to reface these one more time to try 3 10's. The PR's are over extending at full throttle @ 50hz and below. The next prototype may have 8 drivers for the stereo, and 4 for the SDA effect. If I do decide to go with 12 MW's in each cabinet I may use 4 10's in them. I haven't decided whether or not to have a separate chamber for the dimensional drivers to increase overall efficiency, and accuracy. I will be running a GFA-585 for the stereo, GFA 7500 for the dimensional, and GFA-7500 for the tweeters all electronically crossed over. On the stereo and dimensional drivers I want to place a fader on the outputs to the amps so I can adjust the SDA effect. I am going to experiment with the phase, and stereo separation of the dimensional drivers. It is so nice to be able to independently control the levels, and crossover slopes of all the drivers.

Plugging away
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    This thread is so silly.

Just looking at the numbers for 1m distance, you'll need 512 watts to hit 116db with the 90db RTi12's. Right at the top of their power limits. You'll need 16,392 watts to hit 131db (if they could handle that, which they obviously cannot).

Cheers,
    Russ

Come on russ, how could you not have an amp that does 16,392 watts/channel? Everyone else on this forum does.....

Soon as my flux capacitor is finished I'll have an amp that does 16,393 watts per channel and I'll be able to to hit 132db!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2007
    Options
    "What I wanted to know was what he had covering his ears when measuring 130 db at one meter ... It's either that or he ain't hearing nuttin no mo "...

Yeah and stare at the sun while breathing ground up asbestos dust, may as well kill your eyes and lungs with your fried ear drums.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    This thread is so silly.

hangon wrote:
    Smell inside it when it is warmed up. If a transmitter is getting to hot or ready to burn out it gets hot and smells burnt. This only works sometimes.
    hangon wrote:
    2-ohm for limited time Polks cant take that much power

Cheers,
    Russ

What's the problem? Is this not the INTERNET? I can't believe you are doubting that hangon hit 131db. :rolleyes: Since it has been posted on the internet...it must be true.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Options
    This is the Joke thread right?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    This is the Joke thread right?

You picking on me:)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Well get a CineNova amp and try it yourself, dont beleive me?
    The Earthquake Company makes them!!
    Use earplugs duh.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    It's a real stretch (next to impossible) to hit 120dB and flat out impossible to hit 130dB with your amp and your speakers. So, no WE don't believe you!

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Maybe we should have a thread on how to use a sound pressure meter.
    As Russ stated,numbers don't add up.12'S hitting 130 db ?Give me some of what your smokeing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable