I need paypal help

Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am new to paypal and am unsure how it works. I am about to sell something and somebody wants to pay a portion of it up front and then the remainder after. He says he doesn't know what assurances he has either. Anyway, here is the email he sent me. What do you think?

Hi Mike,

Sorry to keep you waiting. After considering several options, I have decided to take you up on the offer below if the unit is still available.

Although I am sure everything will go smoothly, I have heard others' experiences with paying and not receiving goods (I usually deal locally). Would it be possible for me to pay a portion via Paypal, and then the remainder once received? Or if you have any other ideas, let me know. (Just being cautious, I hope you understand).

Let me know if this sounds good and the 'what and how' in terms of payment you think is acceptable.

Thanks,
Dave.
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited January 2007
    I'm only familiar with PayPal as it pertains to E-bay transactions and if done thru e-bay their is no option for partial payment outside of a payment plan which is essentially a line of credit extended to the buyer by PayPal. The seller gets full payment and the buyer pays in installments (not what you are looking for). Now I'm pretty sure you can set up an account with PayPal for the transfer of monies outside of E-bay transactions, but it's not going to be free. I'm sure there is a set-up fee plus all the fee's involved in the actual transaction. If this is a one time thing the fee's might be prohibitive.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    I wouldn't accept a partial payment because he might be able to say it was a full payment. Are you selling through Ebay? I always make sure I am paid in full before I ship anything.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Hi Dave,

Usually, the way things work in most business transactions is that payment is tendered before products are delivered.

Although I am sure everything will go smoothly, there is the very real possibility that someone would pay a small deposit and then "disappear" after receipt of goods. With regard to Paypal, if the goods are shipped from a confirmed seller to a confirmed buyer, both parties have some protection against fraud. Most shippers also have provisions for collect on delivery (C.O.D.) for an additional fee.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Midnite Mick
    edited January 2007
    Canuck Audio Mart. It is our Audiogon. CAM just lets you list free of charge they have nothing to do with the transaction, it is private.

Mike

edit: nice letter

what is the protection against fraud? He also has 6 feedbacks and all are positive
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Another option would be use an escrow company, such as www.escrow.com There is a fee and it's normal for the buyer to pay it.

No way in hell I'd agree to what he is asking.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    I've had good luck with www.escrow.com as well. The idea is pretty simple: you ship it there and the seller sends the money there, and when it's determined everything is good and dandy, the money is sent to you, and the unit is sent to the buyer. If for any reason one of you don't come through, or the unit is not in the condition expected, money is returned to the buyer and/or unit is returned to the seller.

I've found the fee to be very reasonable and it certainly makes me feel better to have that extra safeguard.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Midnite Mick
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the help all. I mentioned the escrow.com to him, but he just agreed to pay in full. He paid, I sent.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Good deal Mick
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    I would suggest moving the funds from your paypal account immediately.

RT1
  • Midnite Mick
    edited January 2007
    I would suggest moving the funds from your paypal account immediately.

RT1

I just took your advice. Are you saying that he would still have access to this money or cancel the payment? I don't know anything.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited January 2007
    I just took your advice. Are you saying that he would still have access to this money or cancel the payment? I don't know anything.

Thanks,
    Mike

Yes, if he files some sort of dispute (even if if there is no reason) PayPal can freeze the money until the dispute is resolved. It's always better to move the money out of PayPal into your bank account or check issued, etc.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    Yes........

I know that happens because I had a seller take my money on a golf club once then disappear for over a week and completely stop responding to emails. I filed a complaint with Paypal which freezes their account and obligates the seller to provide proof of shipment (tracking number). He never provided that and my money was refunded to me which saved me for a few hundred.

Sellers should protect themselves as much as buyers, and if that means that you have a buyer acting shady, then you're always better to not ship the item until the money has been transferred to your bank account (3-5 business days). That's a minimal amount of time for the buyer to wait to ensure that you aren't going to get screwed over.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.