It's demolition time...again

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Now that the kitchen is done I need a new project. So, here's what were doing.

As you can see from the pics below our livingroom and diningroom is one big room and it's cramped.

DiningSet.jpg

Livingroom.jpg

The pic below is of our front door entry way. Right behind that wall is a bedroom (10x12) and the actual entry to that bedroom is right off the kitchen. Being that we only use that bedroom for TV (which my wife and I do not watch any of) we are going to open up that wall (see the taped outline) with a big arched entry way and convert it into a dining room.

Doing this will give us a very nice dedicated diningroom area, give us double the space for our livingroom and open up the entry front area of the house.

NewEntry.jpg

Demo starts Tuesday.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Looks like a good project.

In your real estate market, will decreasing the number of bedrooms have a negative effect on your resale value? In my area, relatively few newer homes (5 or less years old) have dedicated dining rooms because most people seem to prefer the combined living room/dining room concept. I prefer a dedicated dining room.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Nice place....but where is all the audio gear/ HT stuff ?!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Ron-P wrote:
    Being that we only use that bedroom for TV (which my wife and I do not watch any of) we are going to open up that wall (see the taped outline) with a big arched entry way and convert it into a dining room.

Now Ron, I know you have quite teh DVD collection, so how can this be true? Unless you're separating TV from DVD watching...
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Hmmmm...you obviously don't know about Ron's dedicated home theater room: The Driftwood Theater. Check it out in the System Showcase.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2007
    a few words of advice find out if the wall is load bareing also cut drywall with hand saw or razor blade to see if wires are in the wall. and dont forget the jack studs
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2007
    In your real estate market, will decreasing the number of bedrooms have a negative effect on your resale value?
    Ahhh, the best part, I'm building it so I can slip in a 36" door if needed or worse case close the wall back up. Either way it would be an easy fix to turn it back into a bedroom. But even if I did not the market around here is way to hot to let something like this drop the value of my house.
    but where is all the audio gear/ HT stuff ?!!
    Now Ron, I know you have quite teh DVD collection, so how can this be true? Unless you're separating TV from DVD watching...

Like DarqueKnight said, my HT room is in my garage. I built the dedicated room a couple of years back. It's sole purpose is for movies, no TV, as that is all I watch.

But, I do need to update those pics in the system showcase, those in there now are really old.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2007
    It's a mess but we have hole.

From the new dining room looking into the living room.

Entry1.jpg

From the living room looking into the new dining room.

Entry2.jpg

Had to re-run some electrical up and over the entry way as it ran right through the middle of the wall. That was about the only major surprise. Now it's clean up time and start the finish work.
    If...
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Nice work you make it look Professional. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited January 2007
    Looks very professional there Ron-P!
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2007
    Thanks guys, it sure makes the entire front area of the house look so much bigger, it's awesome.
    If...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,568
    edited January 2007
    Excellent work Ron!

At first I was looking at the pictures and Im thinking... god he's fast. Not only did he cut the hole, he put of moulding, wallpaper and repainted... ALL in the matter of days!

Then I read the caption.

Very clean, professional work! Awesome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    Cool, you got guts man. Looks great so far...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    Poor Sid....he thought you walled right over your front door Ron.....lol.........

Looks good.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Looking good Ron.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2007
    Thanks guys, here's a few more updated pics...

DR3.jpg

DR2.jpg

DR1.jpg

Now there's a lot of patch work to do, new baseboard in the dining room and touch up painting. We are going to paint the bottom third of the wall in the dining room a dark red / burgundy color and hang some six panel bifold doors for the closet, replace the mini-blinds with wood shutters and refinish that small entertainment center in the living room to match the other darker furniture.

We have a lot more space now, it's really turning out great and really opens up everything so much.

The next BIG project is all new flooring throughout the entire house, just not sure what yet but most likely I'll DIY it. That should be fun.
    If...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Looking good Ron!

Unfortunately I have to do a little DIY demolition and rebuild on a "kiddie condo" I own (not because I want to). It is basically a basement level and a week or so ago a water heater on the 4th floor ruptured and since it was winter break no one was in the three units above mine. A little before 5:00 AM I get a call that there is a waterfall coming out of the kitchen cabinets. I'm getting paid for the damage but I am using the money to upgrade all the stuff and doing the work myself. Demolition starts today.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Looking good Ron, very professional looking. I'm in awe about the fact the "Candle holders" are still in place after / during demo.

Shack, Sorry to hear that issue you have good luck.

To others getting nowhere with my ceiling project my helper disappeared on me. But I'm not too despaired as my co-worker is my BOSS also, so if nothing else I just need to Fk up at work his **** will show. :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ron-P
    edited February 2007
    Things are just about wrapped up. All I need to do is finish the tile work under the archway and we have some 6-panel bifold closet doors for the closet in the dining room which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Arch2.jpg

Arch1.jpg

Dining1.jpg
    If...
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    damn... nice. I wish I had skills like that.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    :) Nice job Ron! Impressive, I might have you come over and help me on my house? Do you like to paint, redo the hardwood floors?

Mike
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Looks Great :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Wow! Outstanding work!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    Nice job Ron. You are a Handy Man.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°