BCS Champion Ship Game: Ohio State Vs. Florida

2»

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2007
    OK, let's get one thing straight. The Ohio State team that "played" (was on the field) last night, was NOT the team that played all season as number 1. I never thought I'd see the day that Jim Tressel got outcoached. Pathetic is the only word to describe my beloved Buckeyes last night. We made no adjustments and just sucked it up royally.

I honestly believe we lost the game in the first two plays. Ted Ginn runs back the opening kickoff only to be tackled by his teammates and gets hurt. Ginn is the guy that spreads out the defense and opens up our offense for everyone else was now out for the game. The next play we kickoff only to give Florida an opportunity to return it. We get a personal foul, Florida get's amazing field position, scores an easy touchdown. All season long we've been intentionally kicking the ball out of the endzone and not giving teams an opportunity to return. Bonehead move on our part. At least make them work for that first score.

As for a playoff system. I can't see why the bowl games and a playoff system can't all go together. the opening games could all be "bowl games" $ponsered by whoever, all leading up to "final four" BCS games. simple as that. I think the BCS does a fine job of ranking the top teams in the country so use that system to build a playoff.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • doug lang
    doug lang Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    Well said guy. Along with bone head plays, they also were out played. I am a Gator fan, and now maybe they will get the credit they deserve. Maybe your team did not show up,
    but come on Florida out played them in all stats.
    We have a lot of Ohio fans here and still they can't admit they were beat last night by a better team. The best I heard is they would like Meyers to take the coaching job for Ohio. Give me a break.
    Oppo bdp 93 Blue Ray
    Integra DTR-80-2
    Polk LSi9s (mains)
    Polk LSiC (center)
    Polk LSiFXs (surrounds)
    Sub SVS 20-39+
    Samsung 60" Led 3-d
    Blue Jean Cables
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    OSU got spanked. Florida could have folded right at the beginning of the game, but didn't. Hell they spotted OSU 7 points and still dominated.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2007
    I give a TON of credit to Florida. There is no doubt about it, OSU got outplayed by a TON. We stunk up the field last night. Florida's defensive front was unstoppable and we didn't make the adjustments to succeed. Florida obviously did a good job of preparing for that game. I really don't know what our problem was.

I'm not going to say Florida is a better team, yes, they were a better team last night but OSU did not play like they had been all season. Florida had it's moments this season where it sure didn't look like a national championship team. OSU was clicking on all cylinders all season, but sucked it up last night. They are obviously both great teams. Florida came to play and OSU did not.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • doug lang
    doug lang Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    I agree at times they are two great teams. Thanks for your comments. Take care, Doug
    Oppo bdp 93 Blue Ray
    Integra DTR-80-2
    Polk LSi9s (mains)
    Polk LSiC (center)
    Polk LSiFXs (surrounds)
    Sub SVS 20-39+
    Samsung 60" Led 3-d
    Blue Jean Cables
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2007
    tryrrthg wrote:
    OK, let's get one thing straight. The ___________team that "played" (was on the field) was NOT the team that played all season. I never thought I'd see the day that ____________ got outcoached. Pathetic is the only word to describe my beloved ______________. We made no adjustments and just sucked it up royally.

__________________runs back the opening kickoff and gets hurt. ___________ is the guy that spreads out the defense and opens up our offense for everyone else was out for the game. The next play we kickoff only to give ____________an opportunity to return it. We get a personal foul, ___________________ gets amazing field position, scores an easy touchdown. Bonehead move on our part. At least make them work for that first score.

Sorry to hack up your post, but there's just so many teams and games that those statements could apply to. I didn't think that game would be the runaway that it was, but I knew Florida had the ability. Several other teams might have, as well. So is the best team #1? Who knows.

My Razorbacks coulda/woulda/shoulda beat Florida. And LSU. And Wisconsin. Actually they did beat Wisconsin in everything but the score, but none of that counts. All those bonehead moves, injuries, and out-coached coaches are what make the games unpredictable and exciting. Claiming you're the best just makes someone else try harder to knock you off.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    57 days is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time between games...
    Could of held a mini-preseason is that span.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    I'll say it. Florida is the better team. If it is was anything even remotely close to a "good" game I could see some point in trying to argue. But Ohio State got their butts handed to them in every way.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    And I'd like to add... Ohio State played with fire all season. They didn't necessarily dominate all their games.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    jcaut wrote:
    Actually they did beat Wisconsin in everything but the score, but none of that counts.

Arkansas was a one dimensional football team on offense, and WI took that dimension away. Get a QB and you have a point. I'm also an Arkansas fan as referenced in posts during the regular season.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    And I'd like to add... Ohio State played with fire all season. They didn't necessarily dominate all their games.

And now with the other bowl games behind us we see that Ohio State's schedule was not that difficult either. Texas? Losses to K-State, A&M, and then squeeking by 6-6 Iowa. Michigan? They got whipped just as badly by USC.

Florida IS the better team.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    As a fan of neither team, I have to concede your point. I'd also like to climb up on my platform and give credit to the BCS for giving a Florida their chance when so many were crying for Michigan, USC, Boise St, or even, a pre-SEC championship LSU.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    As a fan of neither team, I have to concede your point. I'd also like to climb up on my platform and give credit to the BCS for giving a Florida their chance when so many were crying for Michigan, USC, Boise St, or even, a pre-SEC championship LSU.

Michigan was the better team on paper, nevermind what happened with USC & Michigan, or how badly Florida beat OSU. That's a fact.

The BCS went with the human contingent more than ever this year, and made the computer a smaller factor. This is what bumped up Florida. Keep in mind, the coaches have no idea who is best in the SEC if they're in the Big 10. Their focus isn't on watching those games. They're concerned with their opponents.

The thing that this game proves is that coaches and computers should not be ranking teams. Was Ohio State not the undisputed #1 this year? I never heard anyone object to that, but everyone did object to who the #2 and #3 were.

Florida may or may not be the #1 team in the nation in the mind of everyone other than Florida fans. By the performance of last nights game in the current structure they certainly were, but they also didn't play Michigan, Wisconsin, Boise State, Louisville, or any other potential contenders. There's no way to say that one of those teams wouldn't have been that underdog who couldn't beat big bad Florida and ended up doing it.

Also, the idea that ratings would suffer -- who cares? I disagree with it since the Super Bowl is the #1 most watched sporting event in the country, I believe, but again who cares other than the networks? I know I will be watching it despite the fact that my team didn't even make the playoffs. I don't watch games solely because I am a fan of a team. I watch them because I love the game, and I don't think that's the exception with sports fans.

The only thing this game proved is how flawed the system is. I want to see the best of the best facing off against one another, and the best of that group facing off for the titel. That's the only way to do it in an undisputed fashion.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Arkansas was a one dimensional football team on offense, and WI took that dimension away. Get a QB and you have a point. I'm also an Arkansas fan as referenced in posts during the regular season.

I think you missed the point that I was trying to make. I'm mostly agreeing with you. Arkansas offense WAS incredibly one-dimensional whether it be because of QB or coaching, or whatever. But I stand by my statement that they won in the stats. They beat themselves by not being able to put points on the board, despite a pretty decent performance in most other areas.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    Don't forget that Arkansas was also incredibly young at the skilled positions, too. True frosh QB, a soph RB that came in second in the Heisman vote(that hasn't declared for the pros as of yet). Hopefully McFadden will return and the QB situation will take care of itself. They really don't have TOO MANY holes in the defense, but I'm not too sure about returning starters for next season. If they don't lose too many starters on both sides of the ball, they WILL be a team to be reckoned with, again, next season and probably a lot tougher than this year's team.

One thing that noone seemed to mention....I think Wisconsin could have beaten OSU, if they'd played this season. And yes, I know that Michigan beat them, but that doesn't really mean anything. Some teams matchup better than others.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    Well, Wisconsin has scheduled both Michigan and OSU for next year. ;)
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    jcaut wrote:
    I think you missed the point that I was trying to make. I'm mostly agreeing with you. Arkansas offense WAS incredibly one-dimensional whether it be because of QB or coaching, or whatever. But I stand by my statement that they won in the stats. They beat themselves by not being able to put points on the board, despite a pretty decent performance in most other areas.

Having watched both teams closely all season I think Wisconsin didn't play up to par since P.J. Hill was all but taken out of the game. Arkansas didn't put up points in clutch drives, and Wisconsin did, and the penalties also played into it. Can't really look at stats and say a team should have won. I believe that if Arkansas gets a QB and McFadden sticks around (would be dumb for him to stay, IMO) they're damn near the top team next year, but who knows what will happen. Wisconsin really only loses Joe Thomas, who could be the first or second pick as an OL -- and Jim Sorgi.

I think both teams will be sitting pretty, but I am especially excited about Wisconsin.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Can't say the same for the Cards... it's official -- Bush is turning pro.
    When asked if this was because of Petrino leaving, he said yes because he couldn't imagine playing for someone else.

So much for Louisville's ascension to among the Elite programs...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Can't say the same for the Cards... it's official -- Bush is turning pro.
    When asked if this was because of Petrino leaving, he said yes because he couldn't imagine playing for someone else.

So much for Louisville's ascension to among the Elite programs...

I'll bet Brohm is right behind him.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    I bet you're right...

unless they promote his brother from quarterback's coach to offensive coordinator.