What Question Would You Want to ask MP?

markmarc
markmarc Posts: 2,309
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
If you had the opportunity to ask Matthew Polk a question, what would it be?
Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
Former Staff Member TONEAudio
2 Ch. System
Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
Post edited by markmarc on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2007
    Where's my raise?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    What does $136 million cash look like?
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    Is it feasible for one to make a modern day SDA equivalent by using an SRT controller and two pairs of identical LSi's ?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Anything on the pipeline to replace LSi, or a new line more focused on 2 channel music vs cinema??

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited January 2007
    What are the hurdles in getting more exposure for a great speaker line like the Lsi's? Also, why hasn't a better effort been made to help get more high end exposure for the Lsi line?

So many people aren't aware of their capabilities and they are mostly sold through vendors who have no idea how to properly display them, nor have sufficient equipment to run them properly.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2007
    double post.......
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2007
    Why can't we use avatars on the forum?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    If he had to do it over again, would he follow the path he has taken, making good affordable consumer speakers, or would he take the "high end" path? Does he regret that the direction he has chosen, even though he has recieved some recognition, has not necessarily taken him to the pinnacle of the industry?

Financially it appears to have been a good move. What about intellectually?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    In your years of building audio products at Polk Audio -

What product was your greatest dissapointment (from a thought of "this will be great" to an actual production product of "this is not what I thought it would be")?

What product was your greatest accomplishment (a finished product that greatly exceeded your design ideas)?

Michael

(and do you need any LAN support at Polk Audio? (but that is more a question for HR rather than Mr. Polk himself.))
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • heiney9
    edited January 2007
    If you could own any speaker out there what would it be and why?

Who in the industry when you were starting out did you admire and have the most respect for?

Who in the industry do you admire and have the most respect for, present day? Doesn't have to be speaker related.

H9
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Boxers or briefs?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    Give your development of IP addressable music distribution, do you think it feasible for this to develop a wireless technology and still retain the musicality?

What direction do you think the industry will take in the near future, given the storm of digital storage and transmission? Do you feel this medium gives the same reproduction quality as true analog transmission?
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Great start, keep it up!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Will Polk Audio continue to be mainly focused on speakers, or will the current initiatives into electronics continue and expand? Any hints on the direction of that expansion if it is going to continue?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2007
    Tube gear, Solid State, or Digital - what's your preference and why?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Mr. P - What do you drive?

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    What is your home system comprised of?
    No excuses!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2007
    Any plans on updating or replacing the LSi series?

Didn't see your post HT.:o
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Also, what do you use as the benchmark for SQ when developing or refining Polk Audio speakers?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Mr. P - What do you drive?

:D

He has a hotrod 911 from the early 90's. Judging by the HUGE brakes he had on the front, I'd say he's been to the autocross a couple times.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2007
    "Will you loan me your car?"

Seriously, though, I would like to hear the answer to dkg999's question above about what is the benchmark for SQ. In my experience building DIY speakers and crossover design, you can only go so far with measurements. Final tweaking has to be done by ear, and I find it useful to have a "benchmark" sound to compare to, to let me know when I'm getting close. Since I own an assortment of Polk speakers, a Polk model close to the size of what I'm building generally becomes my reference.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2007
    Now that you sold polk audio, would you follow bob carver's example and start another audio company?
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Boxers or briefs?

****, Matt wears NADA. He just walks around sans pants whackin' it....all the while saying, in his best Dr. Evil voice, one hundred and thirty six MEEELYON DOLLARS

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2007
    I'd ask if he has the hots for Wendi as bad as I do.

He's met her, and he's got eyes. Legit, straight up question the way I see it.
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited January 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    Anything on the pipeline to replace LSi, or a new line more focused on 2 channel music vs cinema??

could not have asked better,myself
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    Have you ever talked to him Mark? Helluva nice guy...
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2007
    Can we infer that some of these questions might get used in an upcoming publication?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Matt, can i arm wrestle you for that set of SRT's in the demo room?
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited January 2007
    Eff that, I'm going for the set still boxed and banded to a wooden skid.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited January 2007
    Zero wrote:
    136 million - - hmm, I only have one question.

MP - I'm always up for adoption.

That's our boy, looking to get ahead the old fashioned way.

Leeching

BDT