New Year's Resolutions

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
In the spirit of the current threads about Merry Xmas... what are your New Year's resolutions?

Here are mine:

1) Get back into six-pack shape. Not too far off, but will have to work extra hard for it.

2) Improve my relationship with my better half

3) Finish remodeling my house

4) Continue my education

At the end of the year, we should all come back and check in on our status. See how we all fared after a solid year. Sounds intense :D

Merry Christmas to all and a happy New Year's! Here's to goals in 2007!
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    1.-Quit smoking on Jan 1st; I quit for 6+ months a year ago and am back at it....but it needs to stop.
    2.-DO NOT upgrade any audio/video stuff (trying to be serious here...)
    3.-Share time between the bikes (Motorcycle/Bicycle); need the exercise...
    4.-Spend more quality time with the family; it's never enough.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2006
    To stay the same awesome dude I have always been.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    I'm gonna re-focus on work (I've been really slacking here lately) and try and be more fiscally responsible.

The second one is kinda tough, with a cruise coming up in March..... whoops. :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    I already started back to the gym a few months ago. Feeling awesome, shedding a load of bodyfat and getting alot of strength back. I guess i'll keep this going and train as hard as possible and get that lean machine look.

I want to be more active outside this year. Hit the beach and play in the surf. Do more bike riding (mountain bike) and just generally play outdoors more.

A house is the huge priority, so paying off as much outstanding debt as possible is the key. I see the Real Estate market hitting a buyers market bigtime in later '07.

Professionally, work on more higher end certifications like Cisco.

Lots to get done, but it can be done.
    No excuses!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    1) eat better (less sugar/junk food)
    2) get in better shape (ball is rolling since I have been taking Krav Maga since October and am in much better shape than I was, stil WAY more room to go though)
    3) get my basement tightened up (so much potential, listening area, might move the theater down there, bar is there but its a horror show, etc.)

I'll just roll with that for now.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    New Years Resolutions:

1) To not make New Years Resolutions ...

I've had the same one for a long time ... Works out well every year ...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    I'm going to get back into fighting shape.

Get my listening room done.

Get along better with the better half.

Throw one helluva Polkfest.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    New Years Resolutions:

Paradoxes hurt my brain....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2006
    amulford wrote:

I do that with a bottle of Jack.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    amulford wrote:

Boxing? I'm a certified amateur boxer... now that's a thrill! :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    New Years Resolutions:

Indeed. They're ****. If something needs fixing take care of it now. New Years resolutions are all about justifying procrastination, and ultimately failure. :o
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Boxing? I'm a certified amateur boxer... now that's a thrill!

Yes, some martial arts, too. But I'm not going back in the ring. I'm getting too old for that ****. Just wanna be able to do three rounds and look like I used to.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    If something needs fixing take care of it now.
    Or ... Ignore it longer ... :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Don't do it now....if it can wait until tomorrow

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    My New Year's resolutions are:

1) get "jiggy" with it
    2) rock wit' you
    3) not to stop til the break of dawn
    4) holla more often (but only when appropriate)
    5) throw my hands in the air... as if to decree "yes, I am a player"
    6) jog more
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited December 2006
    I have way through my first New Years Rosolution 62lbs lost

2)Pay off debt
    3)Get into debt again with new car
    4)Career change of some sort within my company
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Indeed. They're ****. If something needs fixing take care of it now. New Years resolutions are all about justifying procrastination, and ultimately failure. :o

I beg to differ. The human mind relies on time to sort things into order. The beginning of a new year is a clean slate, time to start the cycle over. To say that a resolution is just about justifying procrastination, you sound like a fool. Apparently you aren't married, or if you are, than haven't realized that a marriage isn't just perfect by simply deciding it to be perfect. It takes time and energy to make it grow... and lots of hard work. By stating that someone wishes to have a stronger relationship with their spouse, it is a goal that is worked toward. It can't just be achieved instantly.

I think you come across as a **** many times by your comments, whether you mean to or not. I think that this is a great time of year to make changes, so that you can look back and remember exactly when you made the change. Some will be instant changes (quit smoking) others are goals you walk toward one step at a time (Better relationships). Why do you have to come down bashing others and their thoughts continually?

Give it a rest over the holidays and drink some egg-nog. Heaven knows you need it! :D

Cheers.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    amulford wrote:
    Yes, some martial arts, too. But I'm not going back in the ring. I'm getting too old for that ****. Just wanna be able to do three rounds and look like I used to.

Way to be. Nothing like knowing you are ready for the rounds. It's a great feeling! Keep it up my man. I am younger, and therefore dumber, and I still desire to step between the ropes.. We'll see though, with the wife totally against it.. ha

Merry Christmas
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited December 2006
    For 2007, to me its quite simple:

1) Be the best Dad I can be for my baby boy.

To support that, I definetly need to:

Get back in shape! This little guy wipes me out already, and he's months from even crawling!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    I beg to differ. The human mind relies on time to sort things into order. The beginning of a new year is a clean slate, time to start the cycle over. To say that a resolution is just about justifying procrastination, you sound like a fool. Apparently you aren't married, or if you are, than haven't realized that a marriage isn't just perfect by simply deciding it to be perfect. It takes time and energy to make it grow... and lots of hard work. By stating that someone wishes to have a stronger relationship with their spouse, it is a goal that is worked toward. It can't just be achieved instantly.

I think you come across as a **** many times by your comments, whether you mean to or not. I think that this is a great time of year to make changes, so that you can look back and remember exactly when you made the change. Some will be instant changes (quit smoking) others are goals you walk toward one step at a time (Better relationships). Why do you have to come down bashing others and their thoughts continually?

Give it a rest over the holidays and drink some egg-nog. Heaven knows you need it! :D

Cheers.

You should add getting a thicker skin to your list of resolutions. I'm opinionated, and that comes off prickish. I'm fine with it, and if you can't deal -- so what?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2006
    New Years Resolutions:

\

I'll second that! I've been resolving to not make any resolutions for many years also and I'm proud to say that I have achieved my goal every single year!

WOOHOO! Go me!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Paradoxes hurt my brain....

You might need to find yourself a paramedics to help you with that!

OK, I'll boo myself.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    1.) Lose 25lbs.
    2.) Win World Ford Challenge.
    3.) Lower credit card debt.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2006
    I resolve to start building a second two channel rig with all tube amplification and maybe a pair of Audio Physic floorstanders or Silverline Sonatina III's :D
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    You should add getting a thicker skin to your list of resolutions. I'm opinionated, and that comes off prickish. I'm fine with it, and if you can't deal -- so what?

Nah, my skin is plenty thick, but thanks for the concern.

FYI, there is a big difference from opinionated and antagonistic. The first is always giving their opinion regardless of who cares and leans toward being obstinate or conceited with regard to the merit of one's own opinions. The other is bashing, hostile and plain ole just trying to pick a fight.

Maybe you should take a look at which way you want to come across... and make that your New Year's Resolution... God knows we all would appreciate it. :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    I thought the second was ... when I want your opinion, I'll give it to you ...
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Nah, my skin is plenty thick, but thanks for the concern.

FYI, there is a big difference from opinionated and antagonistic. The first is always giving their opinion regardless of who cares and leans toward being obstinate or conceited with regard to the merit of one's own opinions. The other is bashing, hostile and plain ole just trying to pick a fight.

Maybe you should take a look at which way you want to come across... and make that your New Year's Resolution... God knows we all would appreciate it. :D

I'd rather be honest because -- banality is, well, boring. So I really can't apologize for your reactions to my comments, especially when they're not directed towards you or anyone else.

Back on the topic -- New Years Resolutions are ****. If you're having a rough go of things with your wife and really want to make things better -- start on December 20th. What significance is January 1st? None -- it's meaningless.

Tell you what, though -- if it'll make you feel better...best of luck to you on your resolutions for January 1st, 2007. I truly hope that you can stick to all of your goals and accomplish them. As for me, I'll deal with my problems as they come along rather than waiting for a day to come once a calender year.

Also, on January 2nd, 2007 -- check out the MSN website for an article about how nearly all New Years Resolutions fail in the first 2 weeks. See, in order to truly make any change in life you have to want to do it. There's no real reason you can't do anything you want to do today. The only think holding you back is yourself.

If that's mean, well, like I said -- so what? ;)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    1) Try to be a better parent & husband. IMO, there is always room for improvement.

2) Focus on the 2CH Rig. I am being self centred here.

Happy New Year All.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    I'd rather be honest because -- banality is, well, boring. So I really can't apologize for your reactions to my comments, especially when they're not directed towards you or anyone else.

Back on the topic -- New Years Resolutions are ****. If you're having a rough go of things with your wife and really want to make things better -- start on December 20th. What significance is January 1st? None -- it's meaningless.

Tell you what, though -- if it'll make you feel better...best of luck to you on your resolutions for January 1st, 2007. I truly hope that you can stick to all of your goals and accomplish them. As for me, I'll deal with my problems as they come along rather than waiting for a day to come once a calender year.

Also, on January 2nd, 2007 -- check out the MSN website for an article about how nearly all New Years Resolutions fail in the first 2 weeks. See, in order to truly make any change in life you have to want to do it. There's no real reason you can't do anything you want to do today. The only think holding you back is yourself.

If that's mean, well, like I said -- so what? ;)

No you have an excellent point. It's not so much the exact date of 01/01/whatever that makes the change, but its a specific date/time that you can look back on and says, This was when it all really started. (Although it would have started before that in the mind...)

But "New Year's Resolutions" aren't only for problems either. To get back into fighting shape isn't a problem... its a desire. So, while I agree with you on half of your comments (When a PROBLEM arises, you tackle it head on) I still like to have the 1st of January be the day your year's resolutions take place.

I'm sure that most are broken with-in two weeks. If you resolve to never eat chocolate in '07, that's just setting yourself up for failure the first time a birthday cake rolls around. But if you decide it's time to cut out excessive sugars and starches, start jogging again and hit the weights 3 times a week instead of just once... that is something you can build on.

Regardless, I can see where you are coming from.. but I think you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater...

Anyways... have a happy holiday!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    To each their own. I wanted to lose some weight once that I put on after a bad relationship some years back. I just did it, and it worked for me because I simply wanted to do it. Turned it into a lifestyle and just went at it full steam ahead with it. New Years is more of a tradition than anything else. I'm just saying this -- if you want to fix something you have to start sometime, and I don't think you fix a relationship overnight (I have been there). It takes time. Just give it a shot TODAY, and don't look back!

Most New Years Resolutions are failures because the intention is there, but there's no passion to succeed. Feel great getting on that bike for 30 minutes every night, and then all of a sudden the couch and a few beers sounds better for one night. One night turns into 3, and then all of a sudden you quit doing it (been there as well).

Just saying, get off your butt and get moving right now and never look back if it's what you really want. Don't wait for 01/01/20XX to get you motivated.

Merry Christmas! :D