Brrrrr

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
This sucks. Been without power since Thursday night. It went out right after the 49ers went up 17-7 on Thusday night football. Its freezing at night, near freezing during the day. I can't actually feel the keyboard as I type this. Doesn't look like we will be with power for another 3 days or so. This sucks.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    What caused the power to go out?

And how are you on a computer / the internet with no power?? :confused:

Sucks dude.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited December 2006
    Same here Shelby. We went out about 10 PM Thursday. Fortunately, I bought a generator a couple of years ago. Snohomish PUD gets to us last always. We were iout a day and half with the snow right after thanksgiving.
    Signature goes here
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    What caused the power to go out?

And how are you on a computer / the internet with no power?? :confused:

Sucks dude.

69 mph winds after record braking rain. The Douglas Firss just fall over, out goes the power lines.
    Signature goes here
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    Huge storms. They just destroyed power lines left and right.

We have a generator at work. DSL modem. No power at home. Very little power at work. The furnance is still out at work.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    www.seattletimes.com if you want to learn more and see lots of pictures.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited December 2006
    That was a wicked storm. We had a shovel go about 15 feet from the top of one of our storage sheds (it was 'holding' a tarp down).

Now think of the aerodynamic properties of your average shovel, and ending up 15 feet from where it started. Maybe the tarp sling-shot it or something, but that's serious wind.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    I was laughing my **** off as I was watching neighbors 1) put their garbage out that night and 2) pick it up off my lawn and the street the next morning.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    do you have natural gas? or only electricity?
    I guess even a gas furnace wouldnt work without electricity, but can you fire up your stove burners?, figure its better than nothing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    We have gas fireplaces. So, that the only thing we have going for us right now. Everything else is electric, and no, the furnance at home doesn't work.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I was laughing my **** off as I was watching neighbors 1) put their garbage out that night and 2) pick it up off my lawn and the street the next morning.

LMAO!

Keep warm dude and good luck getting power on. Just to rub salt in the wound, it's a nice springy 70 degrees here in Baltimore. My sinuses should start going crazy any time now.
    No excuses!
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Make sure the water pipes don't freeze!!
  • Libertyc
    edited December 2006
    BTW - I'm freaking walking around in a t-shirt with the house windows open today.

Getting ready to light up the BBQ!
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    shizelbs - you got power out there yet? we were out for only a day or so, but friends in woodinville have been out since last Tuesday. crazy storm...and the insanity that followed when people went into "survival" or "panic" mode!
  • Libertyc
    edited December 2006
    I hope you guys get your power up soon.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited December 2006
    I feel your Brrrrrr, we have power but did lose it. Hope power does come up soon. I know friends in Bellevue and Olympia that just got theirs back
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Wow; that's a pretty tough situation....if you were closer I'd be dragging you and your family to my place; you have any small children? Damn...doesn't sound good..too many days.

Good luck.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2006
    Good luck. Being without power sucks. Here in hurricane country, we are used to survival mode. Of course without power here, we roast. It looks as if some places got hit with the equivalent of a weak cat. 3 hurricane, can be nasty. Be sure to store water and other supplies for any future events. Also cut down any trees in hitting distance from your homes. Trees falling causes a lot of damage and what killed the power.
    Venom
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2006
    We're having a cold snap here as well. Only getting up into the 50's during the day. :D

I couldn't resist. Sorry. Been there done that with ice storms in GA. I worked 100 hours in about six and half days trying to get the power back to folks.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    No kids for me yet. Just me and my wife. We are just bored, more than anything. They don't think we'll have power until the end of the week, and I think they are being optimistic with that estimation. Some areas might not have it until the new year. We got screwed pretty hard out here.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited December 2006
    I feel for you. We were without power for 17 days with the ice storm 10 years ago. Sucked, sucked, and sucked. Hauling water to flush the toilets (on our own pump), keeping food outside instead of the fridge, so dark with early sunsets and no lights, etc.

Anyway, I feel your pain. My wife and I haven't touched a backgammon board since that time. Or even speak of 'backgammon' without shuddering.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    That's why spooning with the wife/girlfriend(or bf if you swing that way;)) was invented.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2006
    I bet there will be a baby boom in 9 months. Not much else to do in the dark, right?
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • cambir
    edited December 2006
    Anybody in Seattle area without power and need help? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    wodom1 wrote:
    I bet there will be a baby boom in 9 months. Not much else to do in the dark, right?

LOL but true. 9 or so months from now. Western Washington will have a spike in the number of births. :p people gotta do something to keep warm right? :D

sorry for you guys in Western WA.... i thought you'd have power by now. good luck. hope you get it before Christmas. :eek:

Shelby.. do you and your wife have any relatives you could stay with for a couple days? Back in '96 we had an ice storm.. and we lost power for 6 days. but that was in Nov.. not nearly as cold as late Dec is.

Think about it people.. no power means.. no ESPN, no cold beer, no hot water, no tube gear.. no lights, no heat, = no fun. :( for a day.. it's not bad. but think about going to work with limited electricity, coming home to a cold, dark house. and having to eat... cold food for days on end. it sucks.

A tree took out our power at work.. but the back up generator kicked in.. so we had full power lickity split as soon as the power died. the genrator is huge.. has it's own building. and it's probably about 103db in loudness. but it's enough power to run an entire TV station. which is a helluva lot of power. :cool:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2006
    cambir wrote:
    Anybody in Seattle area without power and need help? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Awesome!
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    Polk65 wrote:

Awesome!

I was thinking the same thing. He's either 1) a predatory rapist, or 2) a really nice guy.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Shelby.. do you and your wife have any relatives you could stay with for a couple days? Back in '96 we had an ice storm.. and we lost power for 6 days. but that was in Nov.. not nearly as cold as late Dec is.
    :

Really, its not that bad. Its just really, really cold at work, and boring as hell at night when the sun goes down. My wife is kniting, and I am reading a lot by candlelight. Its pretty exciting. We have heat and hot water, so, we are getting by.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Really, its not that bad. Its just really, really cold at work, and boring as hell at night when the sun goes down. My wife is kniting, and I am reading a lot by candlelight. Its pretty exciting. We have heat and hot water, so, we are getting by.

Just think on the positive side.. your electric bill should be small this month. :p

How do you have hot water without electricity? gas water heater?

hope you get power back by tomorrow. so you can watch the Gonzaga VS Duke game @ Madison Square Garden. :D 6pm tip off.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2006
    This is exactly why we bought a generator this year... Once the power goes out in my "neighborhood" it's not apt to be the first to come back on... And having a well as a water source (and sandmound tanks to empty) made it more than worth it.

Oh, and what do you do at work that can be done w/o electricity? Or heat??? I thought if you didn't have heat, you weren't allowed to be open for business...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • cambir
    edited December 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing. He's either 1) a predatory rapist, or 2) a really nice guy.

HEY!!!!:mad:

Try and be a nice guy and look where it gets you! :confused:

I've got family and friends without power for over a week now (some in Duvall in fact). We just had them over for a hot meal tonight. We were fortunate to only be out of power for a day...it's Christmas...thought I'd offer help in case anyone needs it.

Remember...all those I just offered help to could also be #1 or #2! :eek: