Seattle International Airport cancels Christmas

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    I though it was an elderly woman?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    Silly ? ... Have you ever spilled hot liquid on yourself ? ... Yes of course you have ... We all have at one time or another ...

I suggest you personally test the difference between spilling liquid that is 140 degrees and liquid that is 200 degrees on yourself ...

Then we can talk again about the variety of ways that ... "The fact of the matter is that there actually was a time where people took responsibility for their actions, and their stupidity" ... can be applied.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Silly ? ... Have you ever spilled hot liquid on yourself ? ... Yes of course you have ... We all have at one time or another ...

I suggest you personally test the difference between spilling liquid that is 140 degrees and liquid that is 200 degrees on yourself ...

Then we can talk again about the variety of ways that ... "The fact of the matter is that there actually was a time where people took responsibility for their actions, and their stupidity" ... can be applied.

Yes, I have, and it was my fault.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    She had to get skin grafts on her labia. McD's served that coffee way too hot. We shouldn't have to worry about a teenager fumbling a drink in the drive thru window that is so hot that it will cause permanent injuries.

Teenager? :confused:

Also, was that really worth millions of dollars, or should they, at the most, have been ordered to pay her medical expenses?

We have an entitlement mentality in this country. Just because you're injured doesn't mean you win the lottery. Then we wonder why insurance costs are so high? The simplicity of all this is amazing, but so long as we actually have people saying they deserve millions for either being a complete dumbass, or *gasp* MAKING A MISTKAE -- nothing will ever change.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Also, was that really worth millions of dollars, or should they, at the most, have been ordered to pay her medical expenses?
    Nope ... Not until the lawyers got involved ... The original request was for $10,000 ... Which McD's for whatever reason decided to snub i.e. their SECOND mistake. The final award was NOT millions but then that got very little publicity after the fact.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Doesn't water boil at 212F? So if you make coffee in a percolator at home, which essentially boils the water, or you make tea, aren't you getting a 212 degree beverage, if you don't wait for it to cool down? That's even above what the McDonalds lawsuit drink was at, right?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Doesn't water boil at 212F?
    Yes
    bobman1235 wrote:
    So if you make coffee in a percolator at home, which essentially boils the water, or you make tea, aren't you getting a 212 degree beverage, if you don't wait for it to cool down? That's even above what the McDonalds lawsuit drink was at, right?

Probably not at 212 but probably not far away i.e. ~200 ... But then most people don't and no restaurants I know use percolators any more ...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Cool, sounds like we have a voice afterall.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    steveinaz wrote:
    Cool, sounds like we have a voice afterall.

trees or coffee?

They put the trees back up only after he told them he wasn't going to sue, right?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    I'm not a proponent for legal action in situations like the McCoffee case ... However ...

- McDonald's did ( and still does ) brew and serve their coffee well above the industry standard temperature. They have lowered it to 165 degrees but it used to be in 195-205 degree range which is sufficient to cause 2nd & 3rd degree burns. By comparison coffee out of the typical home coffee maker is 140 degrees and while hot it is not enough to do damage.

- The plaintiff in the case originally asked for $10,000 which was ignored.

- The case was eventually settled for much less then the original publicised award but there was little publicity.

She spilt the coffee on herself doing something stupid like driving with a hot cup of coffee between her legs!!! I don't care if the coffee was the temperature of lava she CAUSED THE PROBLEM. She should have received a traffic violation for that.

Are you trying to tell me McDonalds was negligent in this case?
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006

Yes I have spilt all kinds of liquids on myself. IT WAS STILL MY FAULT.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    2 words: personal responsibility
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Nope ... Not until the lawyers got involved ... The original request was for $10,000 ... Which McD's for whatever reason decided to snub i.e. their SECOND mistake. The final award was NOT millions but then that got very little publicity after the fact.

Lawyers my ****. Greedy people who feel entitled to yours and my money are the culprits. The way you are writing here you sound like the type of person who would go visit a friend, trip on their sidewalk, rationalize that they were negligent and sue their home owners insurance for more than the cost of the band - aid it took to fix your toe.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Negligent ? ... Who knows ... Stupid ? ... Definitely ...

When a corporation chooses to do something outside the accepted industry norm they are asking for trouble ...

They could have settled cheap ... They chose for whatever reason not to ... Stupid again ...
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    The way you are writing here ...
    Hearing ... Go back and read the first line of the first post I made regarding the McCoffee issue ...
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Doesn't water boil at 212F? So if you make coffee in a percolator at home, which essentially boils the water, or you make tea, aren't you getting a 212 degree beverage, if you don't wait for it to cool down? That's even above what the McDonalds lawsuit drink was at, right?

Don't forget that is 212F at sea level the higher you go the higher the boiling point.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Hearing ... Go back and read the first line of the first post I made regarding the McCoffee issue ...

As long as you keep blaming McDonald's I don't need to read anything else!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    PS: are you coming down for our next Polk pow-wow?
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    LOL ... Don't know ... Where and when is it ? ... If I do I won't be bringing the SRT's ;) ... maybe a pair of LS90's though ...
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    We've been posting threads about our meeting in Magnolia NJ at pearsall001 (PHil's) house. I thought we ran through the list of people who lived in Jersey and close by to extend the invite.

Anyhow one more thing about your point here. Are saying that a corporation (McDonalds) should have to hire a team of people to go around to all their competition and other similar corporations to research what the "NORM" is for a particular product line or idea for a product line? Going by your logic, all corporations would have to take up this practice just to make sure that they MIGHT NOT be sued because their product was a little better (hotter in this case) or different???

Come on man common sense please.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006

For a guy who uses the word 'fact' so much, you sure don't use many. She was awarded $2.9 million by the jury, $2.7 million of which was punative.

Again, you're trying to say McDonald's made a mistake with todays **** up standards even though it happend in 1992 when such a suit was unprecedented. No company in their right mind would shell out money for something like this. Now we know that they're are juries out there that will award millions, so you settle for $10s of thousands now rather than getting pinned with millions. This was the first case someone got this much money from a jury for being a moron or making an honest mistake -- you be the judge.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    We've been posting threads about our meeting in Magnolia NJ at pearsall001 (PHil's) house. I thought we ran through the list of people who lived in Jersey and close by to extend the invite.
    I only recently returned to the board after a year or so of being away ...
    Anyhow one more thing about your point here. Are saying that a corporation (McDonalds) should have to hire a team of people to go around to all their competition and other similar corporations to research what the "NORM" is for a particular product line or idea for a product line? Going by your logic, all corporations would have to take up this practice just to make sure that they MIGHT NOT be sued because their product was a little better (hotter in this case) or different???

Come on man common sense please.
    While you and I may have our share of common sense, the world in general has lost most of its ... I'm not suggesting that McD's should or should not do anything ... Corporations this size already have teams in place to research what the competition is doing ... They have to for the reasons we've discussed and other reasons we haven't discussed ... Is it in my opinion that from a corporate responsibility perspective that this is at least to some degree a waste of time and money ? ... Mostly, yes ... But that has to be weighed against what the costs are if they don't ...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    All McDonald's was responsible to do is give the lady the cup of coffee she paid for. Anything after that is HER responsibility! Any 2 year old knows that hot anything will hurt you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Demiurge
    edited December 2006
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited December 2006
    This is a non-issue, touted by the media and lifted to a place of significance by the religous conservatives (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) in this country. As stated earlier, the tree, along with the Christmas holiday was borrowed by the christians from the pagans, who celebrated this holiday for a thousand years before Jesus was born. I am amazed at the level of attention ridiculous items like this get when there are infinitely more important issues for us to be concerned about......silly!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    McFact No. 1: For years, McDonald's had known they had a problem with the way they make their coffee - that their coffee was served much hotter (at least 20 degrees more so) than at other restaurants.

McFact No. 2: McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries - more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation - and yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue.

McFact No. 3: The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.

McFact No. 4: The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills.

McFact No. 5: A McDonald's quality assurance manager testified in the case that the Corporation was aware of the risk of serving dangerously hot coffee and had no plans to either turn down the heat or to post warning about the possibility of severe burns, even though most customers wouldn't think it was possible.

McFact No. 6: After careful deliberation, the jury found McDonald's was liable because the facts were overwhelmingly against the company. When it came to the punitive damages, the jury found that McDonald's had engaged in willful, reckless, malicious, or wanton conduct, and rendered a punitive damage award of 2.7 million dollars. (The equivalent of just two days of coffee sales, McDonalds Corporation generates revenues in excess of 1.3 million dollars daily from the sale of its coffee, selling 1 billion cups each year.)

McFact No. 7: On appeal, a judge lowered the award to $480,000, a fact not widely publicized in the media.

McFact No. 8: A report in Liability Week, September 29, 1997, indicated that Kathleen Gilliam, 73, suffered first degree burns when a cup of coffee spilled onto her lap. Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.

:-)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Teenager? :confused:

All the McD's around here are staffed by teenagers at the drive thru. I apologize to any adults that may work at a McD's drive thru and construed my comments as such that a drive thru attendant job is only suitable for teenagers.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    She had to get skin grafts on her labia. McD's served that coffee way too hot. We shouldn't have to worry about a teenager fumbling a drink in the drive thru window that is so hot that it will cause permanent injuries.

I think the confusion was that the above post read like it was the "victim" who was a teenager....

Now I see the light:)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    I think the confusion was that the above post read like it was the "victim" who was a teenager....

Now I see the light:)

Ed Zachary, and he still doesn't McFuckin' get it. Unbelievable.