1000+ post / Christmas Kharma

mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Well, I guess it's about time to give back to the community. I went past my 1000th post a little while back, but was waiting on some things to see what I'd put up for a Kharma worthy of Polk.

After putting the crew to work, I think we came up with a nice little Kharma. We're war movie buffs around here and decided to share a little of our enthusiasm.
We put together a collection of DVD's, courtesy of Barnes & Noble (and my sons' most excellent use of coupons and codes) that should keep you occupied over the Christmas holidays if you get snowed in. They'll definitely put your HT system to the test if not an occasional tear in your eye and a lump in your throat.

These are all factory-sealed, factory-fresh DVD's. We're going to also include some sort of tote bag thingy that Barnes and Noble sent. We're not sure what it looks like, as it is also still wrapped. But it looks like you could pack a good sized cat or two in it if you were so inclined. :) We wound up with 3 of these things, so ..... don't ask.

So take a look at the Karma below, and if you're interested, post a "I'm In". The Karma starts today, and will end at noon next Sunday (17th) so I'll have time to get them in the mail before Christmas. I have a method for randomly picking the winner that'll involve another Club Polk'er, so the winner chosen will all be on the up and up.

This Kharma is, btw, one Kharma for all 4 sets. I thought about breaking it up, but 2 things came to mind: 1. I liked the idea of one Kharma 2. I'm lazy. :o

So, to parphrase Shakespeare, I'll now cry "Havoc" and let loose the DVD's of War.

Vietnam War: We were Soldiers (2002)
Widescreen

The plot outline: "The story of the first major battle of the American phase of the Vietnam War and the soldiers on both sides that fought it." That simple outline doesn't do the movie justice, of course, but one word would be too many, a thousand not enough.
This movie is definitely from the American perspective, to be sure, and does show the courage and the honor of the American soldier. It does, though, also include a dedication not only to the Americans who fell at Ia Drang, but also to "the members of the People's Army of North Vietnam who died in that place."
This DVD contains additonal scenes that were edited out of the final cut. One scene that should NOT have been cut MUST be seen. It involves the story of Sgt. Major Plumley (Sam Elliot).
A few tidbits about the film:
The French bugler shot in the beginning is writer/director Randall Wallace's real-life son.
The closing music, "Mansions of The Lord", has become the unofficial Army funeral hymn. It was used as the recessional at President Ronald Reagan's funeral.
The real members of the 1st Cav portrayed in this film (every single one) were contacted to view a special screening of the movie before public release. Many members could not stay past the first 30 minutes of the movie because "it was exactly right. I was right there all over again."(Joseph Towel, CSM, US Army 1 CAV)

KOREAN WAR: Tae Guk Gi
The Brotherhood of War (2004)
Special Edition, 2 Disc Set, Widescreen

It's pretty tough to come up with a decent movie concerning the Korean War. The movie that normally comes to mind is "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" (1955). It had in its cast Mickey Rooney as Mike Forney, a rescue helicopter pilot and Frederick March as Rear Admiral George Tarrant. Frederick March starred years earlier (1946) in another war-related movie that was much better (more on that later). Although"Bridges" made an honest effort, it just doesn't make muster.
We came across "Tae Guk Gi" in the Foreign Films section of Blockbuster a while back, and found it to be a true find. It has been called a Korean "Saving Private Ryan", but that description will misdirect your expectations. This movie is not "Private Ryan" but is still an excellent work.
A few tidbits:

To recreate the battle at Doo-Mil-Ryung, the scene required 15,000 bullets, 3,000 extras and 500 stunt experts. Instead of rifles being fired, fist fights were the main focus of the scene and all the cast were trained especially. The long shooting of 3 weeks with 50 accidents a day on average.

This film was the biggest success in Korean film history. It attracted over 10 million people to the theater, which is over 20% of the South Korean population.

One of four Korean movies screened at the 2006 International Fajr Film Festival in Iran.

World War II: "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946)
Standard Version DVD.
Includes Theatrical Trailer and Booklet

From the internet:
"This Best Picture Oscar winning film about veterans returning home from World War II includes disabled Army veteran Harold Russell , who received two Oscars (Best Supporting Actor and Honorary for bringing hope & courage to his fellow veterans) for his performance, the only time an actor has received two Oscars for the same performance. Producer Samuel Goldwyn's greatest success is directed by William Wylerwho also took home an Oscar, along with Best Actor Frederic March, Writing, Editing, & Musical Score (the Sound was nominated). The cast includes Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright, Virginia Mayo, Cathy O'Donnell, Hoagy Carmichael, Gladys George, and Ray Collins. Added to the National Film Registry in 1989. #37 on AFI's 100 Greatest Movies list. #11 on AFI's 100 Most Inspiring Movies list.
March, Andrews, and Russell have returned home from the war to discover changes in themselves and their loved ones. Loy plays March's wife, Wright his daughter; Mayo plays Andrews' wife, George his stepmother; O'Donnell plays Russell's fiancee. Though initially they go their separate ways, the veterans find that they are able to relate to each other in ways that their families cannot."

Great movie. Different film style from a different time, to be sure but still great. Movie asks the question that the actors must be asking themselves: What will be the best years of their lives ? Are they the years in the present and future, or were they the years when they were at war ?

World War II: "Band of Brothers" (2001)
6 Disc Tin. DTS.
16:9 Widescreen from High Def Masters.

The best mini-series ever made for television. Bar none. A must see, a must have.

Each of the five episode discs have a fair complement of extras in their own right. They all have text summaries of the episodes, a Field Guide containing information on the soldiers, a historical timeline, maps, a detailed chain of command, and a glossary of terms. The scene selections screens are six deep, laid out like black and white era-authentic photographs. The bonus disc contains a series index, and a respectable host of special features. There’s a thirty minute making of that is tough to turn off, an insightful fifty-five minute on-location video diary by Ron Livingston, and the eighty minute documentary with the real faces of Easy Company which is quite remarkable. Add to that previews of all the episodes, and a teaser that chronicles all of the men, and you have a very satisfying complement of extras that is borderline incredible.
Sal Palooza
Post edited by mrbigbluelight on

Comments