New Home Theater up and running

sterling bug
sterling bug Posts: 228
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Moved into our new house on Nov. 15. A few problems during the journey, namely the movers and Directv which we got rid of in favor of Dish Network. Directv is fine as long as you don't move, mucho incompetance. The theater was up and operational on the 21st with an enthusiastic thumbs up. It looks exactly like I envisioned it in my head. Always a good thing when a plan works out. I bought a pair of FXi 5 to go along with the pair I already had to make a 7.1 system. Two guys from Barretts Home Theater did the setup and did a great job. My system is greatly improved when compared to my setup at the old house. Anyone in the Naperville/Aurora, IL area should check Barretts Home Theater out, its a great store with equally good customer service. The only bad thing is they don't carry Polk products. I purchased from allposters.com a Return of the King and Batman Begins poster to go along with my Empire Strikes Back poster. They now hang in the home theater. I've posted a few pics in the System Showcase. Moving is a pain, but after all is said and done it went pretty well. We are in a house my wife and I love and plan on staying in for many years, and when we want to unwind we have a nice home theater to kick back in, can't beat that.:D
Post edited by sterling bug on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the move and being happy with the HT. Nothing better than sitting back and enjoying.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Sounds great. Congrats!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the system.

However, I gotta give DirecTV some props on this one. My brother has moved like, 5 times in the past 4 years, and has kept DirecTV throughout every move. They were always at his new house within a few days to install a new dish, for free. Can't beat that service :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Vanhool
    Vanhool Posts: 58
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the HT and the successful move, and random question, how do you like Dish tv verses Direct tv, My dad has been looking into both of em because of the crappy quality of our new cable brought to us by Time Warner. Thanks and once again congrats man.
    Van
    Van

{HT, in the works}
    Polk-M10
    MTX-SW2
    Pioneer-VSX-516-k
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    Congrats and welcome to the Northern IL Polk club! I go through Elburn regularly on the way from Belvidere to a friends house in Aurora. Enjoy your set up. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the new home and theatre SB.

Back in my hunting days, I used to take the Deer to a butcher shop in Elburn to get it processed. The wife and I lived in Aurora for 20+ years Doug.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Congrats SB!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dgt2n
    dgt2n Posts: 31
    edited December 2006
    Sounds nice. I need to upgrade to 7.1....
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    Do you find the move from 5.1 to 7.1 a big improvement?
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    So far, not all that impressed with 7.1 over 5.1. I think you are 95% there with 5.1. JMHO!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited December 2006
    Van,
    I was happy with Directv until I spent 4hrs. on the phone with them as to why they blew off two installs. I get a few more HD channels with Dish Network (love Monsters HD) and the picture looks a little sharper than Directv. My dad even made a comment about the picture looking better and he's not electronics savvy. Overall they both have very good picture. Price is about the same, only with Dish Network the bill is going to be on our bill with AT&t. Our local, long distance, internet, cell phone, and Dish Network will be on one bill.
    MSALLA,
    Like dkg said its not that much of an improvement because there is not a lot of DVD's out there that support it. The ones that are such as Lord of the Rings in dts es sound amazing. I'm glad I did it, it was within my budget for the home theater so no regrets.