eBay Account Hacked

bobman1235
bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Ugh. I woke up this morning to an email saying that the item I had for sale on eBay had sold.... the problem being I wasn't selling anything on eBay. So I log in to my account, and see a dozen items for sale under my name.

I'm not sure if I was hacked or there was some kind of error. Usually, if an account gets hacked, the first thing they do is change your password so you can't re-log in. Plus, the eBay account is still linked to my PayPal account (different password), and the auctions all say that I prefer PayPal, so any proceeds would just go to me. Plus, they're all listed in Pounds, as if the seller were from the UK.

It's all a very strange situation, and I hope it gets cleared up. I emailed everyone who won an auction and told them not to pay anyone for them, that they were false listings. I emailed eBay and told them of the situation. Now all I can do is change all my passwords (ugh) and wait.
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
Post edited by bobman1235 on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    God... that sucks. I know Audiogon has had its own fair share of problems of late, but I always feel infinitely better going that route.

Hope this all works out. Keep us posted.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Same thing happened to my wife. She had to set up a new account. It worked out ok as they transferred all of her feedback.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Some Chinese **** stole mine a few months back. I have no idea how they got it. My passwords are very complicated, and I have many different ones. Not to metion I don't click on any emails I am not aware of who they are from. I would like to know how it happened myself, but eBay took care of it quickly. It's a little disconcerting to me because I go out of my way to be careful with this stuff. :o
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Ugh! This is precisely the reason I only do business with Polkies. Hope you get it straightened out soon Bob!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    I was on 2 nights ago looking for amps and I found no less then 15 listings that were pulled when I tried to open them with false posts warnings.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    Had the same thing happen to me. They did it through an accidental click of an email. people were bidding on a $6500 harley. I sent out emails to every bidder.

Now I only respond thru eBay's internal email, and I check my account every day.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2006
    it is amazing how you can be scammed off of Ebay....Last month I put some bids on a Sunfire amp and eventually lost the auction. in the next week I got 8 different emails with the official Ebay logos and weblinks. Each email wrote that the Sunfire winner didn't follow through and since I had bid on it, they were willing to give it to me for what I bid on it. You assume they are the seller because they know what your bid was and there it is in the email. the email states to send Paypal payment to so and so address. I have been sent scam ebay emails before asking for info they would never ask for like password especially, so I was suspicious. The next day I got the same email from another guy with a diff. email and got like 6 more from diff people.

The first rule is never use any Ebay email whether its legit or not to link up to the site, you just never know if the password you type is not being stolen.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited December 2006
    They have done that several times to my account at ebay,thats why I have almost quit using ebay
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2006
    Had my account hacked a few months back as well. NO WAY IN HELL anyone could have guessed my password and it's different from all of my other passwords. Makes you wonder...
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited December 2006
    They are hacking into your computer, not your e-bay acct.
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2006
    Scary stuff. I just don't have any confidence in these accounts as well as the exchange of money for goods. Not even sure how it works to be honest. I keep an eye open on a few different forums and CanuckAudioMart.ca (Canadian Audiogon- and even then just look at local stuff). Unfortunately, wherever there is a market there are low lifes looking to rip people off.

Good luck,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2006
    Phisiing? Maybe you accidently click something and it brings you to a fake ebay log in page that stores yours password and info.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    Hmmm, I forget which site, but one of their pop up ads is an ebay ad. The ad is nothing more than their homepage. Maybe its a fake and just looks for your info.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2006
    Some webpages have code running in the background that will load "trojan horse" viruses on to your computer. Some trojan horse viruses are encoded in junk emails. These viruses lurk in the background and can log which websites you visit and can log the key strokes you type. They then send this information to a remote computer using your internet connection. This is how you can be compromised even if you never respond to any of those "phishing" emails.

A good firewall, anti-virus software, and and anti-spyware software will protect against these types of "trojan horse" computer security threats.

It is amazing how some people will set up a high-speed, "always connected" Internet connection and then have no computer security measures whatsoever.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited December 2006
    Can you get all of that security on one cd-rom or do you have to buy all of it seperate.
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    I've gotten several fake emails from both Paypal and Ebay. The dead give away is the type of information they ask for.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2006
    dholmes wrote:
    Can you get all of that security on one cd-rom or do you have to buy all of it seperate.

Some vendors (e.g. Zone Alarm, Norton) have everything bundled together in one package.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!