It's done! and sounds great

Lowell_M
Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Here are some picture of my new home theater. I tried to shrink the pictures down a little.

Anyway, I built everything you see on my own (except for the carpet) in the few hours a week I could could take to work on it. It took me over a year to finish this, but it is sure going to pay off. Furniture is on its way.

I got everything recalibrated and dialed in Friday night. (while you can see that my wife fully christmasified the room) Sound pretty amazing in the new space. :D
HT
RTi70 mains
CSi30 center
RTi28 Rears
Velodyne CHT-12
H/K AVR-247
ADCOM GFA-7000
Samsung PN58B860
Playstation 3

2-Channel
Polk Audio LSi15's
Rotel RCD-1072
Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
ADCOM GFA-555
Signal Cable Analog II IC's
Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
Post edited by Lowell_M on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    looks great, what are you doing for ventilation behind the unit and how do you get to all the wiring?
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    looks great, what are you doing for ventilation behind the unit and how do you get to all the wiring?

I knew that was the first question I was going to get and forgot to include in my post... The audio rack is open in the back. I have access to behing that wall through the stairway closet.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    Nice looking room. Any acoustic treament plans?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    a_mattison wrote:
    I knew that was the first question I was going to get and forgot to include in my post... The audio rack is open in the back. I have access to behing that wall through the stairway closet.

Ahh nice, I wish we had the ability to have something built in like that. However, concrete foundation walls aren't very forgiving when you cut large pieces out.
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    Ahh nice, I wish we had the ability to have something built in like that. However, concrete foundation walls aren't very forgiving when you cut large pieces out.

I built the wall out from the concrete so that everything was flush (TV) and so you couldn't see cables.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Nice! Very clean look.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Looks great! Enjoy
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Great Job!! You do very good work.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Looks terrific! Outstanding job!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    janmike wrote:
    Nice looking room. Any acoustic treament plans?

Well, no treatment plans on purpose. We are still deciding what to hang on the walls for decoration and stuff. The acoustics are already worlds better than where I had the whole rig before moving downstairs.

Any suggestions for acoustic treament?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    I know of a guy who uses decorated acousticpanels based on the season as a way to meet the WAF.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    looks great... ok i think we should move PolkFest07 to your place instead. LOL JK

enjoy. you and your wife should be very proud of it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    a_mattison wrote:
    Well, no treatment plans on purpose. We are still deciding what to hang on the walls for decoration and stuff. The acoustics are already worlds better than where I had the whole rig before moving downstairs.

Any suggestions for acoustic treament?
    No, I am actually thinking of doing some myself. Some of the panels are really nice looking and enhance the look of a room.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited December 2006
    Nice job. Looks like a comfy place to watch a movie. Where's the popcorn?:D
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    looks great... ok i think we should move PolkFest07 to your place instead. LOL JK

enjoy. you and your wife should be very proud of it.

I would love to!:eek: BUT I love in a condo, so I would need some serious neighbor participation in order to keep the cops away. :( Later today we are going to crank up the eagles and go over to my our next door neighbor's to see how much sound bleeds over there from the basement. I'm guessing a lot.

Thanks for all of the compliments. You can't see the little defects, and there are some things I would do differently if I started over again, but it really turned out much better than I thought it would. We are pretty proud of it. :)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    del44 wrote:
    Nice job. Looks like a comfy place to watch a movie. Where's the popcorn?:D

Microwave is upstairs. Help yourself. I kept the beer close at hand though. :D
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2006
    Looks good. Have you thought of paint yet? Matte paint, preferably darkish would make a nice finish for the room.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2006
    Lookin' good. But did you leave yourself some room for upgrades?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    joeparaski wrote:
    Lookin' good. But did you leave yourself some room for upgrades?

Joe

If my TV goes I will have a little bit of an issue with replacing it and fitting that hole. I would probably have to make a new hole (bigger of course).

The big thing I messed up with is the number of speakers I wired for. At the time that I began construction I wasn't as insanely into this as I am now and I only had a 5.1 receiver, so I wired for 5.1. now I am wishing I had run a piece of wire to the back at least for 6.1. I think I will live though. We watched The Incredibles last night and it was, well.... incredible. :rolleyes:

Is there something you noticed that I left out? (not that I need any more "upgradits")

Anyway, the next upgrade I need to make room for is a nice 2-channel rig upstairs. I'm going to stick with ADCOM for an amp, but that's all I have planned so far.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2006
    Looks great! If you're looking for something to put on the walls, as mentioned, why not try some diy acoustic pannels? They're pretty easy to make and would work really well to add some color and break up the plain white walls ;) As soon as I move out I'm making myself some. Right now I just have enough crap in my tiny room I don't think adding some measly pannels on my walls will help much.

Have you tried pulling your speakers out from the corners a little bit? Just a thought, but I've had much better experiance with my setup having them farther away from walls. I lost a lot of bass with mine in the process but it sounds way better (no more midbass hump / boom).
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Congrats; you made a great job there. I also finished my basement all by myself, and it took me a year...but you never stop being proud :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    michael_w wrote:
    Looks great! If you're looking for something to put on the walls, as mentioned, why not try some diy acoustic pannels? They're pretty easy to make and would work really well to add some color and break up the plain white walls ;) As soon as I move out I'm making myself some. Right now I just have enough crap in my tiny room I don't think adding some measly pannels on my walls will help much.

Have you tried pulling your speakers out from the corners a little bit? Just a thought, but I've had much better experiance with my setup having them farther away from walls. I lost a lot of bass with mine in the process but it sounds way better (no more midbass hump / boom).

Yea...Having the speakers where they are is a mostly for a higher WAF. To be honest, though, I played with speaker placement and didn't really see a difference in sound from where they are right now. (within 3' of where they are now)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    NICE man. Any way you could bring those towers out of the corner more?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    steveinaz wrote:
    NICE man. Any way you could bring those towers out of the corner more?

See post above....
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Lookin' spiffy.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore