2nd Annual Christmas Karma - Pioneer SX-450 RCV

13»

Comments

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2006
    In Please!!!!!

I was initially turned to Polk about 15? years ago by an honest salesman at Crutchfield. Like many I had heard the "big" sound of little speakers due to a Bose demo. I kept eyeing them in the magazine and one day called them up thinking I might order some. Thank God this salesman was honest and willing to do his job. I ended up purchasing a set of RM5000 that were less expensive and of course flat out slaughtered the the old Bose AM's I had heard. Not long after that I decided to venture into larger speakers and ended up going away from Polk for quite sometime due to lack of a local dealer. Then about 5 years ago I started working at a local retailer and was reunited with Polk. I left the job about a 18 months ago but my Polks remain, and most likely will for a LONG time.

BTW. Thanks for the chance at some great karma!!!!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    This is winding down folks, if you are interested, please jump into the karma. Thanks for reading!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2006
    When did I come to like Polk's? About a week ago when I walked into the Den of Iniquity and heard the sound check from Doro. I have been contemplating a complete overhaul of my rig ever since............
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2006
    Everything is for sale in the Den of Iniquity :D...wel a couple things aren't but you get my drift ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2006
    The first taste I had for Polk speakers was in the smallish town I grew up in in Arkansas. It was pretty cool for a town of 15,000 or so to have a FEW stereo shops that did home and car audio back in 1982 and on up. I just remember hanging out at one shop more often than the others because, at that time, they had the Monitor series until the SDA's came out in 85 or so. They carried Polk, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and Carver for their main lines which were quite stout.

They never minded us High School kids hanging out because we were the future of their stores! I remember when they got the SDA's in because one my friends called me and said I HAD to come pick him up so we could go to the shop and hear the "big **** speakers" that came in. When we got there, we were treated to the new SDA SRS which was just unbelievable and HUGE. It was pretty major for someone in our town to have a pair of $3,000 speakers. We stayed up there for about 5 or 6 hours after they closed listening to all sorts of music on both CD and Vinyl. Hearing that soundstage just floored us. I can't recall which amps were on them but they were powerful.

Ultimately, my friend ended up getting an Onkyo receiver, tape deck and turntable for Christmas (or birthday) and a pair of Monitor 7B's I believe. He was the shiznit! At that time, I had a Technics integrated, T/T (the nicest one), and a pair of Heresy's. (a CD player followed soon) I liked the way mine sounded but there was something about his Polk's.

25 years have come and gone and that store is long gone, turned into other businesses, and, eventually torn down. The memories of that night listening to one of the first pair of SDA SRS's that hit Arkansas is still in my mind. I've never owned a pair but will as soon as I find some within driving distance. (not risking the shipping). I just picked up a pair of 10B's that I have posted here about recently that were a steal ($3) plus the Carver amp and preamp ($17) and it has rekindled those days of youth. I am a 2-channel person by choice although I do have home theater stuff and distributed audio. I am a Home and Car A/V electronics rep and sell many great lines, but, nothing beats the sound of that generation of Polk speakers to me. I can't speak of the newer generation because, quite honestly, I haven't gotten to really hear them. (would love to, though).

It's just a thrill to sit and listen to the music I grew up with and remember great times and great friends that I haven't seen in years. Funny how music and great equipment can do that to you, isn't it?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2006
    The karma is on and we get a really cool post by avguytx, that's solid. Thanks for dropping by and posting here :D
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2006
    Thanks, doro. I haven't been in the room in so long, I feel bad. It doesn't matter if I "win" the receiver or not (not that I wouldn't take it...haha. I have a 650, 750 and 890...had a 1980). It was nice perusing down memory lane and remembering the day I was turned on to the Polks. I'm just re-amazed at how good that era of speakers really sounded before speakers had to have "WAF" to make it into the house! I'm just fortunate to have a wife that tolerates my addiction to audio. Plus, it does pay the bills! Proof being that I'm sitting in a hotel room in Tulsa wishing I was home running thru the CD and album selection instead! But I have to sell "new" A/V stuff to have my toys!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2006
    The winner of the 2nd Annual dorokusai Christmas Karma is......

SHACK

It's cool that a resident and regular denizen of our forum won, congratulations....Merry Christmas and it will be shipped next week.

Thanks to EVERYONE for posting your stories or comments and have a great New Year!
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited December 2006
    Way to go Shack and way to go Doro.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    All I can say is WOW!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Congrats Shack!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    AND...Thanks very much Mark!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2006
    Based on that comment alone, not only is SHACK the winner, but he is a handsome man to see in person :)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Congrats Shack!
    Carl

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Very :cool: shack! Awesome karma Mark - dad is still digging the vintage rig I built for him around last years Techincs karma. It was providing Christmas music for my family in the front of the house this year during dinner and whilst opening gifts Christmas Eve :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    Congrtas Shack !!

Merry Christmas !

Thanks again for a very cool Karma , MarK !

Merry Christmas to you too...!!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Congrats Shack!!!!

And thanks to Mark for another great karma.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    Congratulations Shack!!!
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut