Our own Dr. Spec is now working for SVS

marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Congrats Doc!

Here is the announcement from Ron Stimpson, co-founder of SVS:

Quote:
I'm surprised no one caught the "SVS Adds Staff" on the "Events" section. We are. Normally we quietly slip folks into the deck and then keep growing because of it and few customers realize this.

Today we hired Ed Mullen to head a separate new Directorate of SVS Customer Service. CS had been spread out and this was proving unwieldy. Given the number of projects that the guys in Tech Support work on (no one wears "one hat" at SVS) and Sales too, adding someone to help lighten the load was long overdue, even if it happened a bit unexpectedly. We were a bit shocked and pleased when we got a resume from Ed, but hard times at his previous employer, and a love for the audio business apparently prompted him to seek greener pastures.

Being the smart guy he is, we were told we weren't the only audio company looking to hire him (resumes went to several others it seems). Which had us very concerned to say the least. He's nearly single handedly put subwoofer benchmark testing in front of the web-oriented public, and showed a gifted understanding of not only the technical side of audio, but how to explain it to regular folks looking to learn more. This is NOT a guy you want wearing another brand's shirt if you are a smart business owner (or lucky at least, which we'll take too). In any case we seemed to have prevailed in the package we offered him to head up CS and also work closely with R/D on some of the tough projects we're struggling to keep on track.

Now, you can all write down the list of trolls who'll assume devious motivations. While of course we've known and trusted Ed's work for a long time there was nothing the least bit certain about this ever happening. We don't have outside owners like most our competitors, big ad budgets, or piles of cash to hire staff without compelling reasons based on need, and the competence of the Staffer to be added. It's a big responsibility for both parties. And frankly we shudder to think about how much harder our jobs would be if someone as competent as Ed was working for a competitor (which is why we worked our butts off to create an offer he couldn't refuse).

So let the tongues start wagging. Most the same brand-blinded idiots who'll question this great news already, wrongly, assumed Ed was "working for SVS" (when in reality he just liked our products, because they are very good. He's said nice things about other good products too, this is what reviewers do.). So in some ways this is poetic justice for us to have won his confidence; that SVS was a company worth quitting his day job over. Make no mistake, he'd be hailed as a "great asset" by those same people if their favorite OEM had hired him instead. And no, we don't expect a single such person to acknowledge this obvious point. Watch this played out now by the 3-4 trolls that demonstrate their ignorance about business with snide attacks on this new SVS employee. Of course Ed's already resigned from Secrets as a reviewer -- a loss to the community for sure, but we aim to make up for that with better service to everyone we deal with via e-mail, forums, and with help making better products for the public.

The rest of our tens of thousands of customers all over the globe will find out instead that SVS's legendary customer service and products just got that much better. In business you care about all those past and future customers who understand and appreciate that... not the handful of detractors cackling like so many crows on the fence.

Welcome aboard Ed. There's lots of work to do.

PS, don't worry, there are other, even more shocking announcements coming up, this is a veritable blip on the RADAR compared to what you'll see and hear by the time CES hits. Get ready for things to get turned to "11"
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    Congrats to Ed!

I always liked how he would test subs out in his backyard to make sure that room gain wasn't part of the measurements. I'm sure his neighbors wondered what the hell was going on..................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    SVS wrote:
    Get ready for things to get turned to "11"

SVS amps????
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    He's always been one of my favorites around here. :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Way to go Ed. Big timing us now. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2006
    no shitt? nice. congrats!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    Good luck. Must be nice to work in an industry thats also your hobby.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Three cheers, Boom Boom Boom
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2006
    Now that Ed is there... I'm willing to invest in SVS but am NOT sure HOW!

Help please
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the new position with SVS. A great marriage in audio heaven just took place. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2006
    That is awesome. I haven't seen him around in a long while but couldn't believe his knowledge of subwoofers when reading his posts.

Congrats and good luck on your new career, Ed!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Very :cool: Ed! Thanks for the all the advice and assistance :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2006
    Hey Halo,
    Did you receive the email I sent you last week?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    I received one email from you. If you sent anything else I didn't receive it. Thanks again btw. Sorry for the de-rail :o
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2006
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited December 2006
    Good ,that man knows his bass!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited December 2006
    Congrats.
    Dr.Spec was/is one of my favorite posters on this forum.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    Awesome....Ed is a GREAT guy, glad to hear it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Awesome....Ed is a GREAT guy

Yep, the whole reason I finally registered instead of just being a lurker was so I could send him a PM with a sub question, and even thought he didn't know me from Adam, he spent a lot of time going over it when he didn't have to.

Truly top notch, and now, he is doing what he likes best. How many of us can really say that?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    as much as he helped and educated many of us for free, I cant wait to see what he does now that he draws a paycheck from it. SVS was smart to aggresivly grab for him
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    Thats awesome! Congrats Ed.

That SVS Sub test he did a little while back was friggin nuts! Ain't no wonder they hired him.
    No excuses!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    That's terrific! Congratulations Ed.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Rock on Ed!!!

Congrats:)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Awesome, he's a great guy. Congratulations Ed!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2