Russman

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
goodmorning.....got a hang over ??
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Nah, I'm as fresh as a daisy today. So, uh, g'mornin back at ya...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    What tha......:confused:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    I don't know either man.....

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2002
    well then...

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited July 2002
    Tired of being a mere 'Polkster'?
  • DrummerMP
    DrummerMP Posts: 17
    edited July 2002
    Hi....this is my first time at this site...However, I have been a Polkster for years and didn't even know it. I was not aware of such a site as this, but I am happy I found it. I hope I can get some ideas for my Momo-Si project in progress.
  • DrummerMP
    edited July 2002
    Let me give a little info about myself. I am a 32 year old male, Lab Scientist in the mornings, a forensic student in the afternoon at a university in florida and a professional musician at nights. Whenever I am not studying, processing bacteria or entertaining an audience, I spend time working on my car(Momo-Si project) as my get-away.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Man, just when you think it can't get any stranger....

PercussionMP, check out the 'on the move' section, car audio at its finest.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2002
    This might as well be the "Awkward Moment" thread.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • OrangeToupee
    edited July 2002
    Hi, DrummerMP, I'm Montana: I'm a 19 year old female who likes to tan during the day and get backrubs at night. Teeheehee ;>}
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Hi, DrummerMP, I'm Montana: I'm a 19 year old female who likes to tan during the day and get backrubs at night. Teeheehee ;>}

Be nice OT.......
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    I'll have a hangover the morning at this rate! I should be useless untill noon or so.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    OrangeToupe,
    I didn't know you where female.I think I called you dude,man boy, in the past...sorry I didn't know.
    Dan...male
    Dan
  • OrangeToupee
    edited July 2002
    It's cool, Mantis; boytis; dudetis ... or whatever. It's all about getting your audio on, as far as I'm concerned. Teeheehee

Toupee
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    my liver is phat
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    TangerineWeave is sorta like that dude in Silence of the Lambs...

'Put the effin lotion in the basket!'

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • DrummerMP
    edited July 2002
    thanks guys for the acknowledgement, I can tell there is going to be lost of fun with you guys.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    it's great to have some women in here... any others? just curious
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by danger boy
    6 ch DVD audio is the future of recorded music!

[rant]
    Unfortunatly 6ch audio <beit sa-cd or dvd-audio> will not save the music industry. It was dead along time ago, but the invent of the CD saved their butts<screwed the artist though... many were forced to offer the cd at a reduced royalty rate which is on average 5-6.25 cents per>, people had to go and rebuy their entire collection. This <being almost dead>is why the music industry, and the few super-mega rich artists fight the nice portable format like mp3<why not fight wma's too? Bill Gates at work in a conpiracy??? I wouldn't doubt it>

Fight for your music, support your favorite artists and fight the record companies that wish to stop you from legitimatly using your music as you see fit.
    [rant off]
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    cgravil,
    I have to disagree. Yes 6ch audio discs (SACD & DVD audio) may not save the record industry. but the quality of CD's is ancient by todays standards. the CD industry did very little to improve it since it was invented in the late 70's/early 80's.
    If more people and record companies would invest in 6channel audio formats... it may indeed have an impact on record sales. but for some reason very few artists and record companies see it fit to release music in this 6ch format. it's to bad. to hear SACD and DVD audio.. people are missing so much improvement over the antiquated CD of yesteryear.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    For music listening enjoyment.....I like good ole 2 channel stereo...:D
  • cgravil
    edited July 2002
    note to self..... don't post after drinking 2/3 a bottle of jack. go bye now, head still hurts, ouch

oh, and the reason that you gotta use the 5.1 analog cables to truly exp 6 channel sa-cd or dvd-audio is the fault of your wonderful music execs.

While true that most dvd-audio discs will work in a standard DVD player hooked up via conventional means<fiber/coax> you're not getting the "whole wonderful" audio experience.

The Music execs VIOLENTLY opposed the use of digital transmission from these wonderful audio formats afraid of digitaly perfect copies. and besides why make something that could be played on anyones higherend dvd player, that wouldn't make sence, we couldn't make any extra money on that now could we? So we got stuck with the 5.1 analog output in order to hear the wonderful clarity, and the unit <dvd-audio/sa-cd player> does ALL the decoding, thus increasing our<the music lover> cost output.

I'll bet monster remakes their ole 5.1 cables over and beefs them up for this purpose and sells the hell outta them for about 100 per 3 foot.<gimmie a break here I'm still hung over>

Do you really think that cd is poorly outdated? just remember the music is UPconverted to the CD from most masters, while a few are recorded @ cd quailty.

If you want music to sound great go in vest in a good 2 ch set up. a Cd player and an external DAC with a quad of mono-block amps, and the right speakers. setup adjust, set up some more adjust the hell outta it and then tell us if cds are really outta date and of poor audio quality
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    agreed with nascarman.....

for a myriad of reasons, I doubt that multichannel will replace 2 channel music as the accepted standard.

Just my opinion.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Agreed, Big Dumb, Nascarfatass.... ;)
  • cgravil
    edited July 2002
    don't get me wrong ... I like the idea, but feel that it will go the way of MD and DAT. Not that there is anything wrong with those but that they didn't catch on very well
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    CD may give way to another type of medium....my point was that I don't think that multi-channel will ever replace 2 channel as the norm. Not in my lifetime anyway.

BDT
  • cgravil
    edited July 2002
    agreed BTD
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    That is B.D.T.

....as in Big, Dumb Troy

BDT
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    Allright ,
    Here's how I see the format wars.........SACD came along to give the so called Audiophile better sound for todays recordings over the cd.
    DVD audio is exploring multichannel music on the widely excepted format of DVD.
    SACD realised that multichannel is the way to offer music for greater exceptance.

Today more and more people have some type of Home Theater in there houses.(don't want to argue about what it is).They have all these speakersin there house for movies and would love to use them for music as well.
    Companies Like Denon realised this and devoloped 5 channel stereo.It works for alot of people(not me included,I don't care for it)They get to hear there music with all of there speakers.
    SACD and DVD audio is coming more and more into people's house because it's offered on DVD players,more and more DVD player coming out will offer both formats.2 currently are on the market.
    The problem I see for the 2 new music formats is software,not enough to choose from.I bought the Pioneer Elite dv47a the day we got it in for the reason to experience the new formats at home.
    I own about 5 or 6 disks between the 2..a couple of demo disks and that's it.Since I got into SACD and DVD AUDIO,I have purchased about 20 regular cd's...........thats sucks as I wish everyone would start realising on one of the formats or the other.

Sony did say they are going to stop recording onn cd format and go straight SACD with a dual layer to work in regular cd players.I haven't seen this happen on the software market, but they have been talking about it for quite some time now.
    Dan
    Dan
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    I agree that the lack of a good selection of discs is the main thing holding back the high-res formats. They might take off if the record companies would put out more discs. Being primarily a two-channel guy, I'm not too eager to jump in.

Multi-channel music has never impressed me much, but I am interested in the higher-resolution aspect. I've had the opportunity to listen to DVD-audio. There's no doubt that it has the POTENTIAL to sound great.

Considering the lack of well-recorded CD's (I've probably got a couple hundred discs but only a handful that I consider to be really well-recorded, good-sounding discs) I have to wonder why the record companies would bother with the higher resolution formats. Multi-channel I can see as being a marketing strategy. But then... you can do a 5.1 channel mix on a video DVD (at "roughly" CD-quality) and not have to buy any new equipment.
    Blah..Blah... all been discussed before.

Who turned this into a SACD/ DVD-A thread? Danger boy? Cgravil? :p