Problem with High Speed Cable Internet

13»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    There's ways around the Windows Genuine Advantage thing. They're a hassle, but they're possible. And I'm not advocating this for illegal means, there's plenty of people who own a legitimate copy of Windows (this is a perfect example) who have issues with teh Genuine Advantage crap and essentially have to purchase Windows AGAIN just to use their legitimate copy. It's total crap, and Microsoft is unwilling to do anything about it.

Anyways, for anyone interested, here's how to get around it. For legitimate reasons.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    For the $90 bucks for a XP upgrade version why bother? That's what I do, when it ask me about the XP upgrade and it did find any other version give it a win 95 disk. After checking it never ask about it again.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    There's ways around the Windows Genuine Advantage thing. They're a hassle, but they're possible. And I'm not advocating this for illegal means, there's plenty of people who own a legitimate copy of Windows (this is a perfect example) who have issues with teh Genuine Advantage crap and essentially have to purchase Windows AGAIN just to use their legitimate copy. It's total crap, and Microsoft is unwilling to do anything about it.

Anyways, for anyone interested, here's how to get around it. For legitimate reasons.

The ways around it are only temporary. That same message and hamstring will return.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    Hasn't bothered me in ~6 months. The only thing I haven't been able to do is update to IE7 or WMP11. All other things, including Windows UPdate, work fine.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Microsoft is looking out for their best interest, I think they will catch up with people who don't have the original disk and it's not on 1+ computers already.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Microsoft is looking out for their best interest, I think they will catch up with people who don't have the original disk and it's not on 1+ computers already.

I think it would be nice if they focused on making sure that people who have LEGITIMATE copies aren't being bitten by them "protecting their interests" before they start worrying about people stealing things. LOTS of people who PAID for a copy of Windows, either by buying a PC with it installed or buying the disc, have been denied access to Windows simply because of some mistake on Microsoft's part, and in most cases MS has refused to do anything. If my hard drive dies, I shouldn't have to re-purchase Windows. $90 isn't something to scoff at, that's a significant purchase for most people, especially where you can buy a full computer for ~$300 now.

Sorry if I think satisfying their customers should be their primary concern, but just try to remember taht all people being affected by this aren't criminals.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    So if I paid for MS XP windows installed it on my computer, gave this disk to my friend who installed it on their computer. MS should say nothing to me because I paid for XP and have a LEGITIMATE copy. I believe what you paid for is yours and not your friends also, so MS maybe doing the only thing I think they can do. Preventing you from upgrading.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    I'm not disagreeing with you that there's a problem, Steve, I'm just saying their solution isn't perfect, and is punishing legitimate users, including myself. I build my own PCs. I bought a copy of XP. I upgraded my motherboard, so had to reinstall Windows. Guess what didn't work? It was the only PC in the world with my copy of Windows, but I had set it up on a different "set of hardware". So now I have a coaster of an XP disk, and have to go through "illegal" means to get my legally purchased, never shared or duplicated copy of Windows to work. And MS told me "there's nothing we can do."
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing with you that there's a problem, Steve, I'm just saying their solution isn't perfect, and is punishing legitimate users, including myself. I build my own PCs. I bought a copy of XP. I upgraded my motherboard, so had to reinstall Windows. Guess what didn't work? It was the only PC in the world with my copy of Windows, but I had set it up on a different "set of hardware". So now I have a coaster of an XP disk, and have to go through "illegal" means to get my legally purchased, never shared or duplicated copy of Windows to work. And MS told me "there's nothing we can do."

Well I sorry you had a problem, I think even myself I will also have an issue. Having used a copy 3 times on computer which I needed to upgrade or just replaced all together. Last time I needed to call them first, but that was that no other problems.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    you can call microsoft and tell them the software says the key is invalided as long as it is the only machine it is running on, they will give you a new key(I've had to do this for myself a few times, and also for my boss)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    this is unfuckingbelievable.

I was looking in my files today and found my operating system CD. I know my laptop didnt come with one, so I assumed my desk top didnt either. Anyway, I actually found instructions on how to reinstall windows xp that came with the computer. First off I had to put in my resourceCD and make a device driver floppy disk.

After that, I put in the winXP CD(the one that came with the computer).

First off, it says press F12(to get to the setup part while loading), then it says "When the Press any key to boot from CD message appears, press any key"

Well, it didnt automatically do that, I had to select IDE CD-ROM, then that message appeared. Anyway, i figure thats the right way, but I just want to let you guys know everything that happened.

After that, it goes into setup mode, I press F6. F6 is "if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver". These are all in the instructions. Anyway, I do that and a few seconds later i get:
    "File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

This is really starting to piss me off.

Anyway, I tried doing it without pressing f6 and it comes to an error "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

....please advise....
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2006
    call microsoft.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    egh, I think I'm done fooling with it. Im just going to take it somewhere to get fixed
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    anonymouse wrote:
    Highly unlikely you have SCSI so do not press F6.

Looks like you have either a corrupted disk or faulty hardware. See this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181

Some things you can do are to ensue the disc is not scratched (clean it properly), reseat memory etc. The article above has more info.
    i have a Intel (R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller

Each time i try it, it seems like i get a little further along...maybe theres still hope for it yet...
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    I think you need a SATA drive so the XP setup disk can see your hard drive. You will need to do the F6 thing put the driver in then it should build. Perhaps there's a driver on the setup disk you could use to build a floppy?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited December 2006
    Well, it seems like its working slowly but surely. I did have a problem loading a couple programs: merlin.acs and mscnbvm60.dll would not load.

I've been thinking about this, and when I first ordered my computer, the order got canceled for some reason and they didnt even let us know! So I ended up getting it like 3 months after they said it would get here. I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems im having now....
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    another program ltts1022.lx_ wouldnt load...im so sick of this ****...I'm going to finally get it installed and it probably wont even work properly
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Cody, is this a name brand computer or a built one from a computer store. I find it a bit odd that your computer if a brand (Dell / HP / Gateway / Whatever) came with a SATA drive. So my question is this setup disk OEM brand or Microsoft XP disk?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited December 2006
    Well, its a Dell XPS, not just one of their cheaper ones. I had to create a floppy disk and its labeled intel sata drivers. Not sure if that helps.

Anyway, I got it up and working, but the internet still isnt working properly...imagine that. I plugged the modem in to the back of the computer, restarted the modem and the computer and nothing.

It says it has a LAN or high-speed internet connection even when theres not a cable plugged into it and even if i restart the computer with no ethernet cable plugged in.
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Ok, you may have a problem with the hard drive, Dell usually have an image on the hd for their redo disk. You may need to call Dell, for them to fix it or for them to send you the other redo disks like you have replaced the HD. I hate Dell for this ****, I own a Dell laptop but it took me like 3 days to get them to send my these disks. Because I know what trouble could be and 3 years down line if the HD died I'm F'd with that redo disk. The only way they would send this disks I said I would send to laptop back to them for 100% refund.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited December 2006
    Well, its up and seemingly running fine, but it will not pick up the ethernet cord.

It has the 1394 Connection but like on my laptop, its picks up the ethernet cord through the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, but my desktop isnt picking up anything

any suggestions on how to get this thing to recognize it?
    -Cody
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2006
    did you try the things that I pmed you?
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    Well, i think thats my problem, its not recognizing my network adapter. I believe its called the 'Integrated Intel PRO 1000 Ethernet' and its not showing up in my hardware folder under network adapters, only the "1394 Net Adatper"
    -Cody
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Well, i think thats my problem, its not recognizing my network adapter. I believe its called the 'Integrated Intel PRO 1000 Ethernet' and its not showing up in my hardware folder under network adapters, only the "1394 Net Adatper"
    -Cody

I was in IT for over 30 years. . .I hated it then and I hate it now. . .you can see why.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    lol, well dell has an online chat setup and ive been doing that. Weve made a lot of progress, its actually recognizing the network adapter now. Its noticing when i plug in and unplug the ethernet cord, its just not receiving any packets...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    omg it works it works!!!! I'm on my desktop right now.

You have no idea how much of a relief this is.
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Thank GOD that's over. Congrats on getting to work. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer