Problem with High Speed Cable Internet

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2006
    My wife was having similar problems. Only thing is, her virus scanning software was disabled by the virus she picked up. You might have picked up a virus and not know it. First things first, go here:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Download the Stinger V2.60 software, install it and run it. It will search for about 60 of the most common and/or highest threat viruses and trojans out there. If it finds something, write down the virus name, get rid of the virus and then find the bulletin online somewhere that fixes the vulnerabilty.

If that doesn't find anything then go here:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

and run thier online active scan. It's free and it will get rid of any nasty bugs and also identify spyware. You can then chose to purchase a more robust solution or find a free adware/spyware program that will remove it. Several have already been suggested.

If none of that clears up your problems, you may want to update your Windows installation, install the latest hotfixes and service packs too.

If that doesn't fix it then it's likely a setting on your router if you have one or a problem with Comcast. I vote for Comcast as the problem but my experience with those half-assed monkeys has been that you have to cover all your bases and be ready with irrefutable proof that you are not the side with the problem before they will consider passing you on to someone who knows what they are doing.

One more thing, there is spyware software out there called Spywarebot and it has it's own trojan downloader. It's junk. The REAL one you want is Spybot Search and Destroy. Lavasoft's AdAware is also very good and there were a couple others mentioned too.

Oh and I use DSL through Verizon. Cable is available but being a sys admin, I already know the pros and cons to both. I'm not going to try and convince anyone otherwise. I feel I am getting a good deal and Verizon gives me the freedom to do what I want with the connection I pay for...within reason of course. The bonus to Verizon is that they do not have a tiered support system. If I call with a problem, the tech guy/girl on the other end is pretty quick at picking up that I'm not the average user and I get treated as peer rather than a user. The few times I had issues that they could not figure out, they put me on the phone directly with a network engineer. They made every effort to solve my problem and would not let me get off the phone until I was satisfied. Each time I have called for tech support, that is the experience I have had. It's a welcomed change from the Verizon of the past and it is the exact polar opposite of my experiences with Comcast.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited November 2006
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    this is the easiest thing you can do. its fool proof. backup all of the files that you need. copy them over to another storage medium. make sure you have all system drivers handy. take a windows xp cd. put it into your system. format and reinstall. this works 100% of the time. shouldnt take more than 2 hours and thats if your system is really a pos.

That's the last ditch effort, dude. There is no reason to resort to that the first time around. Problems are fixable unless you have corrupted system files. His system obviously runs. His issue is with a network connection. Formatting and reinstalling a system due to poor network performance is completely unreasonable and unsatisfactory.

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    He already said that he doesn't HAVE a Windows CD, so that's not really a viable option.

Cody - it really sounds like either Windows is f#$ked beyond repair, or your network adapter died. Either way you're really going to have to try and get your hand on a copy of Windows and reinstall. As I said earlier, check the website for whoever you got the PC from (Dell, Compaq, whatever) and see if maybe you can download a recovery CD. I've seen that option a few times. You just download the image and burn it to a CD. Since the CD really only works on the original hardware, there's not much threat of piracy.

EDIT : Jstas, I understand your position, but usually once Windows gets so muddled up with crap that things like NETWORK DRIVERS stop working, it's best to reinstall. Maybe it's drastic, but no matter how many virus scanners and spyware removers you run, it never runs as good as a clean install. At least, not unless you're a professional and really know what you're doing and how to clean your registry and all that kind of thing. Cody's probably a bright guy but it doesn't sound like he knows enough about computers to go and fix everything that's wrong with his cleanly.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited November 2006
    im sorry but the problem sounded like he has a virus and/or spyware. there is no getting rid of that stuff atleast not completely unless if u do a reinstall. you can argue with me all you want but im right.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    i tried that and this is what my computer said:
    "Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."
    -Cody

ouch! Your gonna need access to another computer to troubleshoot this.
    I found this when googling that error. There is a lot more info at the MS
    website on that error, too

To repair Winsock if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER

Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall, or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    edited November 2006
    I guess the fact that I just fixed this on my wife's computer means nothing?

So go ahead and be "right" then. I make my living at this and I'm pretty damn good at it but since I'm obviously so "wrong", I'll let the rest of you screw up Cody's computer for him worse than it already is.

Have fun reinstalling. I doubt your network card is dead or that you have a virus that you can't get rid of.

Some advice When you get this computer back up and running, go find yourself an ISO file of Winternals ERD Commander. Burn the image to a CD. If you boot to that CD, ERD Commander will allow you to edit that entire Windows configuration including registry files. It will also allow you to delete virus files and reinstall or remove corrupted network drivers. Since the system booted to the ERD CD, the Windows installation you are trying to work on is dormant. That means that you can add, remove and repair all files, even system files, that are normally untouchable when the system is running.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    I downloaded all that stuff to my laptop and transferred it over to my desktop but its still not working :(

I know its the computer because my laptop is currently running off the same ethernet cable(straight from the cable modem) that my desk top doesnt run on.

Is there anything else I can do before reinstalling windows?

Truthfully, its not a big deal, I'd actually kind of having everything deleted and starting new. Getting windows XP is not a problem, A&M has a contract with microsoft so i can get XP for like 30 bucks or so.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    I'm a strong advocate of reformat / reinstall myself, I somethings feel a system runs like a new machine when done. But I agree it's the messiest method of all.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited November 2006
    I get that no network adaptor thing or adaptor not in the right state or somesuch. I usually end up unplugging my wireless card from my laptop, unplugging the cable modem, and unplugging the router. I then plug in the cable modem, let it spool up completely, plug in the router, let it spool up, then reboot the laptop and I am ok. Annoying, but I can live with it.

Since your laptop is working and you can actually surf next to your desktop, I would continue to use google and research. There are a TON of boards out there that may be able to get you back up and running without a complete rebuild. I know that's got me through a few times.

Good luck!

Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2006
    Cody -

The only other thing I can think of to try is to UNinstall all of the drivers for the network card, and then re-install them from scratch. Since you have your laptop you can download the latest and greatest version off the net, as long as you know who makes the card. Since it sounds like it's the network card that's not working, that would be my best guess on something relatively easy to try.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited November 2006
    there is one more thing that you can do. but this is just to troubleshoot. download a Linux Live Distro. Burn to Cd and boot off of that. SuSe has a nice distro. If you have no Linux experience than don't go that route. it might be more trouble than its worth.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited November 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Maybe one-way. Most T-carrier lines are rated equally both ways. The way cable companies give us such high download speeds is by capping upload speeds to something horrifically slow (512Kb/s or so). Not to mention that you only see those 10Mb speeds when no one else on your local network is using high bandwidth, since your bandwidth is shared within your "neighborhood". If there was a Halo tournament going on, you'd feel the difference, where as a dedicated T-4 or so would be, well, dedicated.

Yep, the upload cap has always been a pain. Up until a year ago we were capped at 128kbps up, which isn't much better than dialup. They then doubled it to 256kbps up, still slow but better. Now this week I received a letter from Insight saying that the standard internet service in my town was being increased from 256kbps up and 4mbps down, to 1mbps up and 10mbps down. No increase in monthly rates (we're already paying an expensive monthly rate of $44.95 sans modem rental).

Now how much this will translate into noticible real-world increase (as opposed to simply at the head end) only time will tell...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    polksda wrote:
    Yep, the upload cap has always been a pain. Up until a year ago we were capped at 128kbps up, which isn't much better than dialup. They then doubled it to 256kbps up, still slow but better. Now this week I received a letter from Insight saying that the standard internet service in my town was being increased from 256kbps up and 4mbps down, to 1mbps up and 10mbps down. No increase in monthly rates (we're already paying an expensive monthly rate of $44.95 sans modem rental).

Now how much this will translate into noticible real-world increase (as opposed to simply at the head end) only time will tell...

That's the same letter I received from my local Insight provider.:) :cool:

Though I only pay $30 for the cable internet service. I get a package deal for having their digital cable, HD programming and pay channels. My total monthly bill is just a bit over $130 for everything, but Cinemax and Starz and a few of the BS programming groups.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    ok, i just gave up on it thinking id just have to reinstall windows, but i also have my g/f's computer here in the other room, and when i hooked it up it was doing the same thing, limited to no connectivity. I got this idea today.

I have 2 ethernet cords, both of which i tried running straight from the cable modem to the desktop(both desktops, mine and hers), but when i hook it up to my laptop(same modem, same exact cable) it works.

Anyone have any ideas?
    -Cody
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    I know when I switch what is directly connected to my cable modem, there is a sequence of reboots of the PC / modem that has to be done before I get connectivity... basically because the modem/network has to reassign your IP address based on a new machine. You've had this problem long enough that I assume you've gone through all of the reboots and all that nonsense, but just keep in mind that you can't just unplug the cable from your laptop and plug it into a PC and just expect it to work without rebooting the modem, PC, or both (I would assume modem, then PC).
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Here is a screwy cable modem problem BUT IT WAS THE CABLE MODEM THAT WAS BAD!

I would boot up my PC and bring up an IE browser . I was able to access any and all websites at blazing speeds however when I brought up my Comcast webmail it took 1 1/2 minutes to load my inbox and each refresh. The email would load quickly the first or second try but after that it would degrade to the slow 1 1/2 minutes.

I tried every trick on my PC that I know involved Windows, no change. I cycle the power on the cable modem and the problem would resolve until the second or third email loadup. To me this was obviously a cable modem problem

Called Comcast. Of course with their terrible customer service they kept blamming everything but their equipment. After about a week and a half of their shananagans I insisted they sent a tech out to change the cable modem.

The tech came. . . all he had to do was change out the cable modem but noooooooo. . . first he changes out the splitter coming into the house. Then he changes out the cable from the outside splitter to the inside equipment and even had to make another connection because he shortend the cable???. He was farting around for over an hour because they were sure that it couldn't be a cable modem problem because I was able to surf websites with no problems. Finally afte a good hour and 15 minutes he changes out the cable modem.

Viola'

Make them change your cable modem if they haven't already done it.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    they already changed out the modem, but I have absolutely no problems getting on with my laptop...thats what I'm on now. The only problems I have are when I'm using my or my g/f's desk tops
    -Cody
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    they already changed out the modem, but I have absolutely no problems getting on with my laptop...thats what I'm on now. The only problems I have are when I'm using my or my g/f's desk tops
    -Cody

Have you changed out the NIC card they are notorious for causing problems, hardware and software conflicts.:confused:
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Question is the laptop wired or wireless?
    Is the computer wired or wireless?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited December 2006
    everything is wired. No router right now.

no i havent changed my network cards, but when her computer was here it was wired to the internet, then it was just sitting in the other room for a few months. I would think it would be pretty uncommon for mine and hers to both go bad...
    -Cody
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    everything is wired. No router right now.

no i havent changed my network cards, but when her computer was here it was wired to the internet, then it was just sitting in the other room for a few months. I would think it would be pretty uncommon for mine and hers to both go bad...
    -Cody

Just to check, deinstall the NIC, reseat it, then reinstall it and see if Windows detects any driver, or hardware errors, it may also show any hardware or software conflicts that may have developed.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    the nightmare never seems to end...blew a sub today...thought id reinstall windows and get my comp working again...well, of course thats easier said than done.

I found a sticker on the side of my computer that has the windows xp product key on it. Call a friend of mine and he has a winXP disk. He mails it to me and of course, its not the newest version.

It says "setup cant continue b/c the version of windows on you comp is newer than the version on the CD. if you decide to delete the newer version of windows on the comp, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

a friend says i can run this one, then do a windows update and it'll download all the new stuff. Any truth to this?
    -Cody
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    the nightmare never seems to end...blew a sub today...thought id reinstall windows and get my comp working again...well, of course thats easier said than done.

I found a sticker on the side of my computer that has the windows xp product key on it. Call a friend of mine and he has a winXP disk. He mails it to me and of course, its not the newest version.

It says "setup cant continue b/c the version of windows on you comp is newer than the version on the CD. if you decide to delete the newer version of windows on the comp, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

a friend says i can run this one, then do a windows update and it'll download all the new stuff. Any truth to this?
    -Cody

I'm not doubting your friends integrity here but I would definetely be afraid of blowing away a newer version. I don't know that windows update will bring up the version??? I would call a geek at one of the Best Buys or one of those types and asked about that one.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    Im not sure exatcly how ur performing this setup of windows. My suggestion is to format and reinstall windows. You can update windows via windows update and everything will be current/up to date. meaning you will get service pack 2 and all of the other updates. back up whatever files are important - ie: word documents, mp3's etc... whatever that wasnt installed on the computer and you need. back all of that on to a flash drive or cd or w/e and put the windows cd in to the drive. reboot. format windows using ntfs - not the quick version. install windows. when it asks for product key - give it the one on the side of ur case. this is all assuming that the cd you have is an actual copy of a retail version of windows. if its a cd from another pc manufacturer than your product key wont work on it.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    well, he wasnt absolutely sure, thats just what he was thinking. This xp cd i have says "Version 1.0: To be used with a new Gateway PC"

would that matter that im installing it on a dell?
    -Cody
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    im about 95% sure it wont work. ive tried once before and it didnt work. gave me an error before it even started copying files. something about not being the correct manufacturer.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    does the cd say windows xp anywhere on it? does the setup say windows xp? are you sure that its a windwos xp disk?
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    yea, it says "windows xp-home edition: Use this CD to reinstall your operating system"
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Couple of things to think about. I wouldn't use another XP disk these setup disk should be on one computer as Microsoft tracks these and I don't won't them in my business ever.

Second is this a Dell / HP or other name brand computer? If so it came with a setup disk I would use this over anything. That disk will have drivers for the odd ball video / sound / whatever I/O it has. If you don't have the setup disk you can order a new one I believe from them.

I don't have a problem of using an older version if you reformat drive first, a clean setup is always best.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Couple of things to think about. I wouldn't use another XP disk these setup disk should be on one computer as Microsoft tracks these and I don't won't them in my business ever.

Second is this a Dell / HP or other name brand computer? If so it came with a setup disk I would use this over anything. That disk will have drivers for the odd ball video / sound / whatever I/O it has. If you don't have the setup disk you can order a new one I believe from them.

I don't have a problem of using an older version if you reformat drive first, a clean setup is always best.

This is just an added tidbit of info. Microsoft has now initiated a system where when you Windows Update kicks in Microsoft checks you windows version. If the cd key is duplicated over more than one computer or (and don't quote me on this) if the version of Windows doesn't match the PC, you will no longer be able to get automatic windows updates and everytime you reboot or even while your PC is up and running you will get a continuous message stating something to the effect of." your version of window is not genuine." A blue star will appear in your system tray and you will not be able to get rid of it unless you spend $150 on microsofts site to get a "genuine" CD key. Or of course you reload a "genuine" copy of windows.