PS3... did anyone wait in line or camp out??

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,549
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
I just want to say... that my camping out paid off! Me and my friends got 5 PS3s and it's time to make some money on eBay! I'm stoked because I also managed to pass my Family Practice shelf exam... so all is well!! Phew! :eek:

Anyway, I know I urged Sean (zero) to wait for the PS3 launch a few weeks ago and I kept telling him to do it. We kept in close contact as we went around stores and searched for a good store to line up and camp in... I know he was 8th in line at his Target and last I talked to him, his hopes were high and the final 12 hours of the wait was upon him. He should've gotten his PS3, but I havent talked to him since late last night. If he did get his PS3, he told me he's getting a Mcintosh... so I'm sure he's stoked as well!! He can finally finish that Totem system of his.

As for me, I no more audio upgrades since I just got a new tube preamp.

Anyone else got a PS3 story they want to share??

Joey :D:):cool:
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Joey_V wrote:
    Anyone else got a PS3 story they want to share??

Joey :D:):cool:

Yeah... but only if you have a PS3 you want to share:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Ya gotta let us know how the graphics and game play are.

All the stories on the web about shootings and fighting are hilarious. Stupid stupid people out there! All over a video game that will be plentiful in about 2-3 months. Also waiting to hear about bugs in the system itself which you know there will be.

John
    No excuses!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    Are you going to flip them all, or keep one?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    I can understand waiting in line IF and only if you were going to turn them over for a huge profit. However, one thing I DON'T understand is stores that had 50-100 people outside of them. Not many stores got more then 30 units, so what are the people at the end of a hundred person line thinking is going to happen? I wish they had a photo slideshow online of just disappointed faces from those morons.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2006
    I saw on eBay this morning that the highest bid for one was $4800 but it was taken down by the time I checked again at 10 AM. At that point, the highest was something like $3400

Not bad getting a $2800 profit. I don't know if it was worth waiting in line for two weeks though. I could probably make more money doing 14 straight 8 hour days at work and still have slept in a nice, warm, dry bed and played my PS2.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Strong Bad
    edited November 2006
    Check out Craigslist. People all over it (I only searched Baltimore) selling them for $2500 - $3500 ea.

LOL, one guy said in his AD "Selling for $3000 and exchange must be made in front of a Police Station ONLY!"

Joey, you should lowball everyone so you can sell them quick. There's only going to be a small window of time to make any serious profit off of these. In and out!
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2006
    Yep, IIRC there is supposed be another 600,000 showing up just after Thanksgiving and they are supposed to have 1 million on the market by Christmas. They are a tad behind but relativly on schedule. So make your money now if you are going to.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    tomshardware.com is reporting a highest bid on ebay of $15,000.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2006
    Joey,

In order for you to attend the Chi-town Polkfest, you'll in return give me a PS3!:p :D

I think about mid December is the best time to list one on Ebay. I could only imagine what they will be going fo right before Xmas time.
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    All the stories on the web about shootings and fighting are hilarious.

:( What part of shooting and fighting is hilarious to you??:confused:

If you think anyone getting killed or hurt is funny, you are one sick SOB!!:mad:

Go seek help immediately!!
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    Am I being a smartass if I remark that waiting in line for a game system is ridiculous? Geekdom. Somewhat adult people camped out to buy a system to play video games. I could see camping out for Pat Benetar tickets, but for a game system?

Joey, you have $11,000 speakers. Can't you pay someone to camp out for you? I wonder what F1 thinks about this....I'm really only messing with you, but not exactly...
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Of all the nights to choose to camp out for the Adventures of Strawberry Shortcake in Ice Creamville DVD release....

you're cramping my style videogame geeks

you're cramping my style...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Zero wrote:
    Oh yeah, if that does happen - McIntosh baby.. yeah.

Dude.. Sean.... what did I tell you, boy?!?! I told you that the PS3 would make us some serious cash!!

It's all about the audio gear that comes from selling the 5 PS3s.... oh yeah!! Time for the Transporter by Slimdevices!

And... maybe some cash saved up for other things, like food and clothes.

Sean... once again...

What did I tell you boy?!

When you get your Mac.... let me know how it sounds! You're going to let me know when the next big money-making scheme will be right? Cuz, I had your back with this one. :):)

*man hug*

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Are you going to flip them all, or keep one?

Seeing as I'm not wealthy and I have the 360... I'll flip them all. I already flipped 2 Wii for a good profit..... which is kinda how I scored the new Cary Preamp that's coming in a few days! :)

Anyway.... did anyone else camp out or were me and Sean the only 2 idiots who did?

Joey
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2006
    You're a tool if you think that the 'shortage' is anything less than a brilliant marketing scheme. All of the excuses of why they can't get 'enough' out at launch is ****. This is brilliant marketing, and it's the same stuff Microsoft did.

People want something they're told they can't get. That way when they are in stock they're likely to sell more based on the hype.

Good job Joey. I went to EB games to pick up 2 new 360 games this morning, and he said there were only 2 guys waiting outside for 2 of their 6 units they had. The other 4 were walk ins. Shame I didn't think it would be worth trying.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2006
    The almighty Xbox used the same brilliant marketing scheme. A year later, not a penny lowered on the unit and they were already making a profit at launch. Rock on Mr. Gates. A PS3 core material value is close to $950.
    I checked this morning and about 8000 legit PS3's on Ebay. Average auction price was about $3200. That is atleast $30 an hour for waiting in line. Ya, you guys were real geek morons.:rolleyes:

I saw a couple $8000 units being sold, but the high bidders were big goose eggs. BOGUS!

Congrats Joey on your purchases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • Strong Bad
    edited November 2006
    MikeC78 wrote:
    :( What part of shooting and fighting is hilarious to you??:confused:

If you think anyone getting killed or hurt is funny, you are one sick SOB!!:mad:

Go seek help immediately!!

The fact that people actually do this over a stupid **** video game is what makes it hilarious. People need to get a life.

So do you. Now go away!
    No excuses!
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    The fact that people actually do this over a stupid **** video game is what makes it hilarious. People need to get a life.

So do you. Now go away!

You need to go see a mental health facility! I can't believe there are actually terds like you that exist, you need to be flushed!

Now go away? Come on... can you come up with a better one than that.:rolleyes:
  • Strong Bad
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, making my appointment now. :rolleyes:
    No excuses!
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Yeah, making my appointment now. :rolleyes:

Thank you! There might be hope after all, I'm sure they'll help you out bud.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    I wonder what F1 thinks about this....

Pretty much what John said,
    All the stories on the web about shootings and fighting are hilarious. Stupid stupid people out there! All over a video game that will be plentiful in about 2-3 months.

Darwin was right!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2006
    I don't see how it's a brilliant for Sony to not have made 300x what they made last night if they'd just ship the hell out of them from the beginning. Sony isn't making any more by skimping on the release IMO. The people who would have bought last night will just be buying later so it's a wash.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2006
    I stood on line once for a couple hours to get really good tickets to see Zappa & The Mothers at Carnegie Hall. That was 1971 when I had the stamina.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2006
    That was 1971 when I had the stamina.
    George......Wendy wouldn't be happy to hear this......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    MikeC78 wrote:
    You need to go see a mental health facility! I can't believe there are actually terds like you that exist, you need to be flushed!

Now go away? Come on... can you come up with a better one than that.:rolleyes:

Someone took a self-righteous pill this morning.....

I'm slightly torn. If you're willing ot sleep outside for 3 days just for a video game system, I think you're a moron and deserve what's coming to you. But if you slept outside to buy something to sell for a 1200 dollar profit, well, you're just dedicated and entrepreneurial, and should be applauded! :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2006
    Let's see, a PS3 for $3800 or $3800 to a Roth IRA (tax free returns) for 15 years to retirement. Which will be worth the most in 15 years. I'll get back to you.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2006
    Let's see, a PS3 for $3800 or $3800 to a Roth IRA (tax free returns) for 15 years to retirement. Which will be worth the most in 15 years. I'll get back to you.
    Does the ROTH IRA have a wireless controller and bluetooth - thats a toss up.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2006
    I don't have the stamina to wait in line Brett. Johnny on the spot if I'm first though.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2006
    Let's see, shortage because of speculation/resell. If everyone didn't expect
    them to go up, there would be no shortage.
    I don't have a problem with making a profit.
    I just can't believe all the stupid people that can't wait 8 weeks.
    Then there will be systems sitting around on store shelves.

Just get your order form filled out at Gamestop, put it in a box, and hand it to the kid at XMAS. Give him a couple of trinkets to tide him over till it gets there.
    I know my old man would never of played along with this crap. Neither would
    I. I hope neither of my two sons never fall for that crap either.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2006
    Wii outsells the PS3 3:1 by the end of the 1st quarter, 2007. Mark your calenders! :D

For those that got their PS3, CONGRATS! I had to work otherwise I probably would have camped out with my buddies.