RTi100 Amps killed by power surge

Options
maseace
maseace Posts: 4
edited November 2006 in Troubleshooting
I had several tripped breakers and two surge prortectors killed by a power surge (apparently) while I was away from home yesterday, and now both my RTi100 amplifiers do not turn on anymore. There is no bass now since only the mids and tweeters work. How can I get warranty service for the amplifiers? I do not want to send in the whole towers since it would cost a fortune to ship them.
Post edited by maseace on

Comments

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I believe that there is an internal fuse on those- check them first, then contact Ken in customer service.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hum mm, interesting. I know very well that Polk is numero-uno in CS and satisfaction and are noted for bending over backwards for people, but are the amps warranted against conditions beyond Polk's control such as a power surge???
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ^lol!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ...And how long would the warranty period be for?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • maseace
    edited November 2006
    Options
    janmike wrote:
    ...And how long would the warranty period be for?
    3 years for the sub amps, 5 for the speakers.
  • maseace
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I checked the fuses. One is blown, the other is not. Swapped the good fuse for the one that was blown, amp still does not work. Neither amp works with a good fuse. The one with the blown fuse has burn marks on the transistor that's connected the heat sink. It looks fried, and has a burnt smell to it. The other amp has no apparent damage, but still does not work.
  • unc2701
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ok, that's not covered under warranty. You're also probably looking at the sub drivers being toasted. If you can get to them, gently push on the cones- they should move freely and smoothly- no crunching (compare to the mid bass drivers on the front). If they're crunchy, they'll need replacing, too. At that point, it's probably not worth what it'd cost to repair everything.
  • maseace
    edited November 2006
    Options
    The sub drivers seem fine. I'd like to just replace the amps. Does anyone know what the replacement cost of the RTi100 amp is, or how to obtain them?

Alternatively, is there any way to bypass the amp while still sending only low frequencies to the sub driver?
  • unc2701
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Send an email to:
    polkcs@polkaudio.com
    They'll probably get back to you Monday/Tuesday- I've never had anything go more than a day or two.

There are many ways to drive the subs without the polk amplifiers, however, most subs have an eq circuit specific to the driver and enclosure. So putting in a different plate amp might not get you the same results as before.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Each amp for a RT-20p that I have were $350 each. I opted to send them in for repair and it was less by a good margin.
    [