Do You Find Power Cord Upgrades Make A Difference?

univera
univera Posts: 848
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
If so, please comment where you noticed a difference, i.e. cd player, amplifier, etc.

If possible, please comment on what difference in sound you noticed i.e. better bass extension, better highs, etc.

And, at what price point and brand did you notice a difference. Did you compare a cheaper upgrade such as Signal Cable vs. a more expensive, high dollar upgrade like PS Audio.

If you'd like, please comment on your comparisons and best bang for the buck, etc.

Prices paid are helpful and poll answers can reflect either new retail or second hand.
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2006
    I've never gotten the idea behind seriously upgrading a power cord in most cases. As long as it's big enough to avoid voltage sag it seems like it wouldn't have any change on the components. By the time the power reaches the inner workings of an amp it's been transformed down, filtered, and rectified.

If someone was really concerned about power cords, they'd be freaked to see how the house was wired up, and how the fuse/breaker box and meter were designed.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    My experience is fairly limited on this one, I tried one with a sub and it made no difference.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    I noticed a difference when I went to SignalCable Magic Power, but nothing earth shattering.

My noise floor lowered a bit which I'm assuming is the result of better shielding in the cable over the supplied stock cord. For what it's worth, I noticed the greatest improvement going into my amp, but this may very well be particular to my set-up.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    Defintely an improvement on amps. The first upgraded power cable introduced to the system (usually on the amp) makes the biggest difference, IMO. The rest are harder to tell whether sonic improvements are made.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    I noticed a difference...they are a lot more difficult to bend/handle :)

I have a PS Audio cord for the pre and amp; I agree with Early's comment above, in theory, but I really didn't hear a difference.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    I'm fine with the $60-100 cords.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2006
    I tried three different power cables on the Bryston B60, and I noticed a sizable difference with the increase in quality/price. I am about as skeptical as anyone else on stuff like this, and had to hear it to make my own decision.

Here is the progression I went through, as well as the results(one side note is that I was using the Shunyata Guardian 4, which made a noticeable improvement on its own):

Stock power cable - good sound
    Shunyata Venom($100) - improved clarity and image, but no noticeable bass improvement
    Shunyata Taipan Alpha($700) - imaging improved dramatically, clarity improved somewhat, and bass was tighter, deaper, and more defined.

I don't know if I would recommend a Taipan, or better, in every system, but it might be something to consider if the system level has the capabilities to notice the improvements.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited November 2006
    I have had alot of luck with PS Audio offerings in their power cable line. I heard a drop of 2-3db measured at 3 ft. transformer noise (hum) when using the Prelude model on my ASL AV 20 monoblocks. This is a physical noise change, not just an imagined improvement in the audio track.

I also received a much tighter bass and driver control when stepping up to the Prelude or Statement cord on my Odyssey Stratos amp. This helped the Stratos keep the mid woofers from bottoming out on my SDAs. The bass actually had more authority while having more control.

I haven't noticed as much real difference with my sources CD/DVD players in sound reproduction, but since they both use the C7 type of connection, I really like how PS Audio's Punch cables help solidify this contact.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Power levels can affect the way an amp performs, no doubt but only by increasing or decreasing the input voltage to the amp. But even a $3 Wal Mart extension cord will have plenty low enough resistance that it wont affect the current.

Think about it - the juice is coming into your house thru miles and miles and miles of wire and then once it enters your house it goes thru a ton more wire before it gets to your outlet. Even after it goes thru the power cord and into your amp it again goes thru a ton of tiny wiring before activating the devices that would affect the sound. So out of 100% of the currents path, the 3' power cord makes up about .0001%. Even if a fancy power cord would make a difference, it would have to start back at the power station.

Also, the AC current that is coming thru the wall and thru the fancy cord, is turned into DC current in the transformers inside the amps and receivers anyway so even if the power cord magically transformed the AC current into something special, the transformers inside your gear is turning it into something else anyway.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,565
    edited November 2006
    Let me put it like this...

Lets put this into perspective...

Audio Setup (components) - ANYWHERE from... 1,000 to... use your imagination...

Cables, 3-400 range...

Now lets say you buy some fairly decent cables, Analog II (50 a pair ICs) type deal...

Why would you spend that much on your stuff, that much on the other cables - then leave in those STOCK power cables...

Difference or no difference, if you upgrade your ICs, speaker cables, the power cables should not be left behind..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Let me put it like this...

Difference or no difference, if you upgrade your ICs, speaker cables, the power cables should not be left behind..

Well put Trey.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    The "weakest link" theory has never held much water for me...

Why put any quality parts in at all if they're only as good as the worst participant?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • John in MA
    edited November 2006
    Why would you spend that much on your stuff, that much on the other cables - then leave in those STOCK power cables...

You'll have to forgive me, but to me that's like saying "why leave on that STOCK faceplate lettering, or that STOCK room lighting." Some things don't always need upgrading. I can see shielding a power cord and making sure it's heavy guage enough, but past that I just don't see the point. The wiring traveling miles from the power company, from the pole to your house, inside the fuse box, and through the walls to your listening room is hundreds of times worse in quality. Heck, inside the amp/tuner/whatever the wiring is pretty plain.

As long as it's 115-120V at a clean 60Hz it's good enough for me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    Heck, inside the amp/tuner/whatever the wiring is pretty plain.

You haven't seen my amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2006
    John in MA wrote:
    You'll have to forgive me, but to me that's like saying "why leave on that STOCK faceplate lettering, or that STOCK room lighting." Some things don't always need upgrading. I can see shielding a power cord and making sure it's heavy guage enough, but past that I just don't see the point. The wiring traveling miles from the power company, from the pole to your house, inside the fuse box, and through the walls to your listening room is hundreds of times worse in quality. Heck, inside the amp/tuner/whatever the wiring is pretty plain.

As long as it's 115-120V at a clean 60Hz it's good enough for me.

I tend to agree, for the most part, but am open to try things, as most of us are in this hobby.

In September, I was offered an opportunity to evaluate several Shunyata products to determine if I wanted to carry them as a brand. Again, I think have a hard time believing a simple power cable could make a difference, due to the things you outlined above. However, I did hear a difference. It doesn't really matter if people believe it from my personal experience. What frustrates me are the people(and I'm not picking anyone out specifically) that are unwilling to even have an open mind about it. I did end up sending the Taipan back for now, as I can't afford a $700 power cable at the moment, even at a discount, but I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my system in the future, or promote it to someone else.

One of the interesting concepts, evident in the Taipan, over the entry level Venom cable, is the design. Many power cables are twisted, then coated in a rubber/plastic substance insulate against shock and to keep interference out. From the twisting, the wires are 100% parallel, cutting down on some of the internal electromagnetic interference between individual wires. The Taipan is braided in a helix geometry, causing the individual cables to cross at almost 90 degrees. In theory, this should cut down on much of the internal and external E.M. interference. I don't know if that is what made the cable actually sound better, but I don't think it hurts anything.

Unfortunately, if I had not been given the opportunity to listen on my own, I would still be wondering if they actually make a difference.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    The wiring traveling miles from the power company, from the pole to your house, inside the fuse box, and through the walls to your listening room is hundreds of times worse in quality.

I have 3 PS audio power cords and do not hear a difference.

I have to agree on the fact the electricty travels miles and miles, and then through the service panel and walls , but how does the the small 3 foot section from your wall your amp really makes that big of a difference??

What if I just skipped the outlet and power cord and just hard wired my amp.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Libertyc wrote:
    What if I just skipped the outlet and power cord and just hard wired my amp.

Why not just replace all the wiring in your amp with dental floss and stringed-popcorn? After all, all electricity is bunk anyway:p
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    I noticed a difference...they are a lot more difficult to bend/handle

That's the only difference I noticed.

* Tip - Anyone buying an upgraded should get one around twice the needed length. I have the Extreme power super punch and its thick as a garden hose. That damn thing is so stiff and very hard to work with.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    I'm not an expert, but it would seem the extra sheilding provided for power sources cables alone would be worth a modest investment. The heavier duty cables would seem to be better in that department, especially in light of how close they are sometimes to the other cables such as interconnects and speaker wire.

Trey, you are way more knowledgeable than me, but I don't see the reason to do anything just for the sake of doing it. Obviously, one has to try for themselves.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • Johncan
    Johncan Posts: 38
    edited November 2006
    I tried to hear a difference, but I did not. I really tried hard.
    My main rig
    Eico HF-87 amp and Eico HF-85 preamp; Klipsch Cornwall I; Systemdek IIX TT w/ a Dynavector 10x4 MKII cart; Denon DVD-2910 universal CD/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD player - Polk Monitor 5s, 7s, & 10s used in secondary systems.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,565
    edited November 2006
    Weakest link theory man... weakest link...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    I can see, in theory, why the last few feet are important. This is the place where your power wire comes the closest to lots of electrical devices in a concentrated area.

When the power cable makes its way to your house, it is usually underground or suspended in the air and not next to a dvd player, receiver, xbox, hdtuner, cd player, amps etc..
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    In honor of our departed member: MANCAVE LAW, He-Man Rigs need He-Man cords, wimpy cords need not apply, I use mine to tie the boat cover down.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Across the board, bass extension and control is what I've usually noticed. A hint of air - spaciousness on the top end in some.

You have a power source in your wall - how you want to tap the source is up to you. Hospitals use upgraded outlets, cords and connectors for a reason - the machines and aparatii hooked up to it can be pretty damn important.

Did I just make up that word - aparatii? Even so, I'm going with it, sounds good.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    I've notice a difference, but have not gone any further than SignalCable. I would like to upgrade the cords on my 2 channel amps, but they would need some work to do that. I don't feel confident enough to tackle it.
  • John in MA
    edited November 2006
    Hospitals use upgraded connectors and outlets because they don't want them to break or lose connection. Not because they add depth and clarity to the EKG machine.

Your entire listening room is surrounded by straight, single-conductor, unshielded, low quality copper wiring in the walls. Connected to the outlets most likely pushed into a flimsy spring.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    amulford wrote:
    I've notice a difference, but have not gone any further than SignalCable. I would like to upgrade the cords on my 2 channel amps, but they would need some work to do that. I don't feel confident enough to tackle it.

Go for it Ant'ny.

If they didn't want them to break John, they'd be screwed into the wall.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • John in MA
    edited November 2006
    Hard to move an instrument when it's screwed to the wall. Hospital Grade electrical connectors are designed not to become unreliable. Someone would get in trouble if the blood pump lost power because the plug had been plugged too much. Hospital stuff is great, rugged hardware, but it's not like a simple outlet delivers smoother power than a domestic one in working condition.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    There's a guy here named John K you should talk to.

Just for the record, what have you tried, in your rig?
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2006
    spend your hard earned money on magic beans, at least you can eat them.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage