2»

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2006
    Shoot, man. Now's a good time to see this!! :p

Congrats, dudeinaroom!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited November 2006
    Congrats and again, great Karma. Thanks!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    Received wed. Kinda messed with me, my wife called me at work and asked if I was expecting a package from polk audio. I said uhh no. I told her to open it and she told me it was the speakers. Got home and took the drivers out of one of my smaller speakers. The woofer fit perfectly, I had to use the trim ring from the cabinet to hold the tweeter in place. Hooked them up to the polk crossover, and hooke that up to my son receiver. They sound great even though the enclosure was not the perfect size for them. They most likely will not be installed until this spring. If by some dumb chance I can find t/s params. on them I might build my self a center channel, or surrounds out of them. More than likely they will end up in the mommy van I drive(2000 chevy venture).

Great karma.

Thanks again,

Ted
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2006
    They had BETTER not end up in a HT speaker! If they do, I'll send you an invoice.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    No they won't. I will be putting them in one of the vehicles, just don't know witch yet., Thanks again
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2006
    ... Mac, if I can put 5.25's in the kicks of a 15 year old truck that doesn't even have kicks, then you can get them into your new ram.

... John, I think its time to give up the DB torch - as much as I love the series as well - it's come to a point where they may have too much time on them, and it may just be time to go for something new. If it's going to be an arm and a leg to fix the DB sub, then I would propose to you that unless I told you I was changing your speaker, that you would most likely not hear an audible difference between the baby-momo (momo carbon? whatever they're calling them) subs and the original DB. That is not to discredit the old DB, but to give positive praise to the baby-momo. I think those things go for something like 70 on ebay. I haven't shopped in a long time, so I don't know.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Dude, I have used all of the MOMO series including the Carbon series subs. None of them sound anything like the dB subs. The new DB series is not even close. On top of that, with a sensitivity rating of about 86-88, everything in Polk's lineup now is more sensitive.

I'm not saying the old dB's are better than the new stuff. Well, they are better than some of the new stuff but not all of it. There is a very audible difference between the old dB and the new stuff.

I asked about fixing the dB104 because I was told at Polkfest by Al to call up customer service, they might be able to do something for me.

My dB speakers have been in my truck for about 5 years now with daily use. They sound just as good now as they did when they finally broke in. I replaced the dB104 which served me well for over 10 years or use and now have a dB124 which is running strong.

It might be hard to find a replacement if anything goes now but that doesn't mean I won't try. I'm not carrying a torch. I just can't afford to get SR's right now. Believe me, if I could, I would but I have much bigger personal issues at home and other financial obligations to attend to first.

Then again, an all dB stereo is a nice thing!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2006
    Is the difference in sound really that noticeable to you?

I only ask because I honestly can't hear it... and it's starting to make me wonder if my hearing is worse off than I realize.

Audiobahn's tweeters are historically harsh as hell, and i noticed it when I first got them... now i'm not hearing it -- at all. I thought maybe I'd just gotten psycho-used to it... but I'm also having trouble distinguishing left from right, and it's not just in my truck, it's in any car with an audio system loud enough to pay attention to, as well as with my 2 channel polk home audio speakers that are about 20 feet apart. weirds the **** outa me.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Yes, if it wasn't, I'd have bought new **** years ago.

The dB's are hard to beat for thier price. The SR's are where the dB's were 10 years ago. A speaker that performs 1-2 price points above it's MSRP. The people who I have installed MOMO stuff for (except for Anthony) have all commented on how different the sound is. It's not necessarily better, just different. The sound is very "rich" and "laid back", if such vague terms can be used. The MOMO stuff is much more robust in sound and tend to be very "forward" and "detailed" as opposed to the dB's. Not that the dB's aren't as detailed. I would liken the difference to a tube amp vs. a sand amp. The tubes have a much more gradual falloff and tend to be softer in sound. Sand amps can tend to be just as detailed and accurate but will be more sterile in thier sound and can be harsh due to abrupt response falloff and transitions.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    ... Mac, if I can put 5.25's in the kicks of a 15 year old truck that doesn't even have kicks, then you can get them into your new ram.

Yeah but if I cut any sheetmetal I get bumped up to Custom. Thats a big dawg class with several thousand dollar installs and equipment, and I aint ready for that with my no processor and SPL amp using ****! You shouldve seen the installs the top 3 guys had in Custom at finals! So I can only modify my truck so much.

I can easily get 6.5's in my kicks but I really want to go with dash mounted speakers. For single seat, SQ competiting I truly believe thats the best way to go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    ESPECIALLY in a full size truck
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2006
    ... *thinks* -- I've got about 8 grand worth of gear in my truck, and i dont think i'm anywhere near competition grade... go figger...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    A couple examples.

My teamate, David Hogan, who won his 2nd consecutive World Championship in Custom+ this past year has a $3000 Alpine F1 head unit with the $3000 F1 processor and the $1000 laptop that he uses to tune it! 8" ID subs in his doors for midbass. $1300 QSD's in the kicks with tweets in custom glassed pillars.

2nd place in Custom+ went in to my other teammate, Chris Cosgray who is running about $4000 in Focal speakers along with $4000+ in Audison amps. And he worked as an installer for many years and has a phenomenal install! Its a Honda Civic with custom speaker locations everywhere yet when you look inside the car youre hardpressed to find anything!!! It really is a work of art. Probably one of the best installs on the soundoff scene right now.

Justin Polk took 1st in Custom this year with his Alpine F1 head unit and processor and 5.1 system. MB Quart QSD speakers with mids in the kicks and 2 6.5's in each door for monster midbass. This is a shot of the back of his Tahoe from my MECA pics thread. You can see his pair of 12W7's (but you cant see the one in his center console) and the $10,000 or so in Zapco amps! All installed and tuned by Tony Pasqualle!!!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20686&d=1163461018

Then there is the 2nd place finisher in Custom. Matt Roberts in his granite Chevy running a full complement of several thousand dollars worth of ScanSpeak Revelators and Zapco amps complete with a $2000 or so Pioneer processor and HU. And lets not forget his 7" subs flush mounted into each side of the floor!!!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20669&d=1163460597

These guys are monsters! Not only do they have monster gear and installs but they are very seasoned competitors and genius tuners. Trust me when I tell ya. I dont want none of that class at least not for a couple more seasons! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D