Talking about huge cajones!!!!

2»

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    That's where NOTHING about that case made much, if any, sense.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    Not necessarily. The question becomes, "Who (or what) receives the proceeds from the sale of the book?" Again, OJ probably will not personally receive the money, but the money will go to one of his corporate entities. If so, the Goldmans would probably not be entitled to any of it.

Look at it this way -- if you were OJ, would you consider profitting off this event if all the money went to the Goldmans and some damn lawyers? Hell, no.

Trust me, the lawyers got paid, one way or the other. For instance, OJ's main lawyer, Johnny Cochran (RIP) became very famous and, as a result, and set up law firms all over the country.

And suffered from a brain tumor and eventually died from it because of his unscrupulous actions. That is one of the worse deaths a human being can suffer.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,
    But to say that you don't care about a case like this any more than any other crime is just ridiculous.... And considering your noticeable participation in this thread, saying you don't care any more about this than any of the other thousands of murders taht have happened since is ALSO pretty absurd.

If you feel that any of my comments are ridiculous, well, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
    bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,
    And considering your noticeable participation in this thread, saying you don't care any more about this than any of the other thousands of murders taht have happened since is ALSO pretty absurd.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I would submit to you that it is possible for me to participate in an activity or discussion and not have a high degree of interest in, or concern about it. I could be doing it just to kill time on a slow afternoon. Compared to some serial killer cases, this is actually pretty tame stuff.

bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,
    As for hating the game and not the player, can't you hate both?

I prefer not to hate. I find it to be a counterproductive process and a severe drain of my mental and emotional resources.

bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,

And finally, you're right, if he's in fact innocent, he probably does have a right to a little bitterness.

That we can agree on.

bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,
    Why doesn't he take it out on the media if he has a bone to pick, and not some people who lost members of their family?

I don't know. OJ is the only person who can answer that. I do know that people respond to trauma in different ways.

bobman1235 wrote:
    DK,
    If he really cared that much, why doesn't he write some scathing satire on the ridiculousness of false accusations and misinformed opinions as perpetrated by the media, instead of making a quick buck trivializing a murder and rubbing it in the face of those who had to deal with it?

I don't know. OJ is the only person who can answer that. I will go out on a limb and speculate that he, like a lot of individuals and corporate entities, is caught up in the "quick buck" culture that is so prevalent in this country.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2006
    And [Cochrane] suffered from a brain tumor and eventually died from it because of his unscrupulous actions. That is one of the worse deaths a human being can suffer.

Please elaborate on what Cochrane did that was unscrupulous or even unethical. I am not aware of any censure or punitive action taken against him by the California Bar for unscrupulous actions in this case.

If Cochrane's death was punishment from God for helping a murderer get off, wouldn't a fair and just God punish all of the defense lawyers and even more than that, deal even more severly with the alleged murderer? To my knowledge, none of the other "dream team" defense lawyers have met with a demise, supernaturally imposed or otherwise. We all know that Simpson has been living very comfortably off his NFL pension.

I do not understand all of the anger directed towards Johnny Cochrane and other defense lawyers. Cochrane was just doing his job in providing a vigorous defense for his client. For him not to do so would have made him liable for a legal malpractice suit and possible disbarment.

This is a curious thing: If a convicted, confessed serial killer on death row needed a heart operation to save his life, I'll bet there would be little, if any, outrage directed towards the doctor who would perform the operation, nor towards the prison administrators who would be using state money to save a man who was condemed to die anyway. After all, the doctor and the prison administrators would just be doing their jobs. However, if a defense attorney tries to get the same criminal's death sentence commuted to life in prison, he would become the object of scorn, ridicule, and death threats.

If you think that Johnny Cochrane is the absolute scum of the earth for defending OJ, you are entitled to that opinion. I am just saying I do not see any rational basis for it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    I'll tell you why I cared about the whole OJ thing. I played organized football from the time I was in 5th grade till I was 39 years old and couldn't play anymore.

I was in 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th grades when OJ was at USC. I followed every move he made, he was my hero. If the USC games weren't televised I listened to them on the radio. I remember getting in fist fights with some an acquantance or two or three during "The Juice" debates. I was devestated that the Philadelphia Eagles won their last game of 1968 (the only time I ever, ever rooted against them) thus loosing the first round draft pick to the now worst team in the league Buffalo Bills. I watched or listened to every Buffalo Bills & 49ers games during his career and was heartbroken when he had to retire. I watched every tv show, movie, mini series etc he ever made. If I was a woman I probably would have gone after him.

Then the murder happened. I couldn't believe it, I wouldn't believe it but then even though the prosecution screwed it up it had become blatently obvious to me that he either did it or paid to have it done.

Needless to say I was truly heartbroken and felt betrayed. I know the guy didn't know me from dirt but I was a true fan of his and then the murder came along.

It may seem irrational to you all but this is how my emotions got involved here even to make the Johnny Cochrane comment. My father died from a brain tumor and he was a good man so you can see how stupid and irrational my thinking gets when OJ is involved.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2006
    I understand better now that you have explained the context of your thinking.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    I understand better now that you have explained the context of your thinking.

It's pretty goofy heh Raife?:o
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2006
    No, I do not think your thinking was "goofy". I know what it feels like to suffer disillusionment and disappointment by someone you once held in high esteem.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    O.J. who?
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    I first want to start off by saying I believe Simpson did get away with murder and I will never believe any different. I think this is yet another slap in the face to the families of his EX wife and Ron Goldman not to mention those poor children who, thanks to him, will never see their mother again.

My cousin was murdered last year and until you have to go through something like that, you’ll never understand how it feels and affects your life. I do hope none of you ever have to know how it feels to have someone you love taken away from you.

Cindy
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited November 2006
    5. Some of OJ's blood, which was drawn by an LAPD investigator, came up missing and unaccounted for.[/b]

I'm no OJ fan, but this fact PLUS the testimony of Dr. Henry Lee told me all I needed to know. LAPD is known for corruption, has been for decades.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2006
    He hasn't paid the Goldman's.
    The money from the book is supposed to go to his kids.
    J.R. basically set him up to make, for all practical appearances, a public confession of sorts.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2006
    After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special “If I Did It.”

“I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project,” said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. “We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson.”

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned — like the Fox network — by News Corp.

In the projects, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.

Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.

“He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron’s future and life. And for that I’ll hate him always and find him despicable,” Fred Goldman told ABC last week.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying “Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt.”

One of the nation’s largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own television drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of “If I Did It,” said she considered the book to be Simpson’s confession.

The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of “American Idol” and “24.”

The closest precedent for such an about-face came when CBS yanked a miniseries about Ronald Reagan from its schedule in 2003 when complaints were raised about its accuracy. The Reagan series was seen on its sister premium-cable channel, Showtime, instead.

One station manager who had said he wasn’t airing the special said he was concerned that whether or not Simpson was guilty, he’d still be profiting from murders.

“I have my own moral compass and this was easy,” said Bill Lamb, general manager of WDRB in Louisville.

For the publishing industry, the cancellation of “If I Did It” was an astonishing end to a story like no other. Numerous books have been withdrawn over the years because of possible plagiarism, most recently Kaavya Viswanathan’s “How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life,” but a book’s removal simply for objectionable content is virtually unheard of.

Sales had been strong, but not sensational. “If I Did It” cracked the top 20 of Amazon.com last weekend, but by Monday afternoon, at the time its cancellation had been announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.

"I'll take emotion over location any old day." Art Dudley

Why is this not a surprise.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    It was a surprise to me but very welcome. Best news I heard all day!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    Fox's own news people like Bill O'rielly were calling for a boycott of the fox channel and all companies that advertized during the interview. They really didn't have a choice.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited November 2006
    In a startling victory for good taste and common decency, both the book and the tv special have been canceled.
    Any books already shipped to stores will be recalled and all copies destroyed.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    OJ was my hero, he got the hottest babes and the best drugs.