Saw true desperation / poverty / evil tonight

jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
I need to vent a little as I can not get the picture out of my head so I wanted share a story and maybe remind everyone how good off we are in the US.

I saw a 10 yr. old girl, maybe 50 lbs soaking wet, that had both of her legs broken in at least two places (by her parent/s or gaurdian/s) and set incorrectly (intentionally) so she is unable to even stand so that she can get more money begging for the family. I just don’t know how or why you could do that to a child.

And all I could do was turn away... A combination of deep sadness and sympathy for the child, utter revulsion that someone who should love her did this to her, and utter hopelessness- All sweeping through me at once. What do you do? Do you reward the parents in some hope that she will get some food? All I wanted to do was to take her away from that life and give her some hope.

edit: here's a brief article outlining similar circumstances: http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/archives.php?id=37216

Out of respect and appropriateness, I did not take a picture of her. I can assure you that it is worse when confronted with the reality than what your imagination might generate.
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2006
    What can you say about something like that? I don't know....some things are just beyond words.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2006
    I cry easy man. Why couldn't that poor baby have been properly cherished?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited November 2006
    I thought my wife's response was appropriate and thought I'd share:
    Yes, there is great evil in the world, even done by parents. I saw some similar things in Africa, and it is hard to deal with. It completely changes your views of things. We can't help every child, unfortunatly. We can, however, love and care for the children in our lives.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    What the hell are you doing in Turkey??
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • jdhdiggs
    edited November 2006
    I'm not in Turkey, in Saudi Arabia, just was the first article I found talking about what I saw.

It is strange to go from being in Mecca and seeing the Kaaba ( a very holy place for ALL old testement religions) in the morning and seeing that evil in the evening. A very contrasting day.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    We cannot be completely objective in our judgment. There are some things we simply cannot comprehend because we have not been put in such a dire situation. Are the parents evil or was this act their only means of survival?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited November 2006
    Man. I have no words. I've heard of some bad stuff but wow.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    We cannot be completely objective in our judgment. There are some things we simply cannot comprehend because we have not been put in such a dire situation. Are the parents evil or was this act their only means of survival?

Your first statement is true, obviously. But for me, if doing something like that was MY only means of survival, then I guess I'd be looking at the alternative to survival. There has to be a better way than that.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    It would be helpful to know the full story. For instance, the parents may have watched some of their children die of starvation and saw no other option. Or their culture may find this behavior acceptable. Or this particular child would have likely died from starvation, so this act "saved" her life. We don't know why they did it.

I'm certainly not defending this act by any means, but without more information, we cannot simply label the parents as evil. Besides, if you are severely malnourished, your reasoning faculties are likely to be greatly diminished, and the survival instinct kicks in.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    This story nauseating! I don't see how any parent could do that to their child. I have two boys, the second is adopted, I couldn't even fathom doing anything like that to my boys. I would rather hang myself than allow my child to suffer like that especially at my own hands.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2006
    disgusting:mad:
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2006
    With the hundreds of billions we've put into this "war" we could be feeding/helping the TRULY needy in this world. That's what makes ME sick.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Mazeroth wrote:
    With the hundreds of billions we've put into this "war" we could be feeding/helping the TRULY needy in this world. That's what makes ME sick.

We already are Maz. America feeds and gives to more people in more countries than all the other countries combined.:)
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    very little regard for females in that neck of the woods probably contributed to that situation James. Only thing you can truly do is know that kind of evil exists, and reafirm the fact that you could never sink to that level.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    That really is pure evil.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    No dry eyes. Very sad indeed.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited November 2006
    I can't even think about it, it's too sick!:(
    Carl

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2006
    Truely disgusting.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2006
    I would be in a lot of trouble from killing both of those parents with my bare hands. I guarantee they would have a lot more than broken bones... Ever seen Saw? I'd be more mid evil than that.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2006
    We already are Maz. America feeds and gives to more people in more countries than all the other countries combined.:)

That's not good enough.
  • George Grand
    edited November 2006
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    This is why the United States must remain foremost a nation of law, law fashioned to protect the people, guided hopefully, by some higher power than self, not individual groups of men. Given to their own interest's men are vile, disgusting creatures, oh, some have indeed risen above and sustained a life filled with decency most though simply cannot.

Its that lack of hope which has led many a shrink to an early demise.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Hopelessness (and the void it creates in self) is at the very foundation of nearly all evils in the world.

It may help us sleep better at night to personify evil as a dictator, boogeyman, warmonger, murderer, etc, but most often it is a deep, dark emptiness in oneself.

Stories like this are beyond sad....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    Toxis wrote:
    I would be in a lot of trouble from killing both of those parents with my bare hands. I guarantee they would have a lot more than broken bones... Ever seen Saw? I'd be more mid evil than that.

Medieval;) :p
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, I didn't even click the link because I know it would make me sick to my stomach just from reading some of the responses.

To take a defenseless child's future and life away is flat out a crime!
    No excuses!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    It would be helpful to know the full story. For instance, the parents may have watched some of their children die of starvation and saw no other option. Or their culture may find this behavior acceptable. Or this particular child would have likely died from starvation, so this act "saved" her life. We don't know why they did it.

I'm certainly not defending this act by any means, but without more information, we cannot simply label the parents as evil. Besides, if you are severely malnourished, your reasoning faculties are likely to be greatly diminished, and the survival instinct kicks in.

Bingo....it is easy to deplore a situation like this; it is a horrible thing and we don't understand it. But the levels of poverty and desperation that you see in some places go far beyond anyone's imagination or worst nightmares.
    Sad, but true. Even sadder is the fact that there's enough money in the world to feed absolutely everyone. One of those things that you better get out of your thoughts, and thank God (whichever you believe in) for your blessings...and GIVE, GIVE, GIVE.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • George Grand
    edited November 2006
    Kick me out and call me dirty names, but I guess by all definitions, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. It appears I always have been, and always will be.

Exremely well put Tedwick, and Zombie.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    I can envision no scenario in even the most desolate craphole 3rd world country where smashing your kids legs and mutilating them to get more begging money is the last and ONLY option in the face of extreme starvation.

do I understand desperation, absolutly. I acknowlege that those parents experienc a level of desperation I will never understand, but to tell me that there is NO OTHER OPTION in said situation but to smash a little girls legs with a frikkin ball peen hammer is the only option and last resort?

sorry, but I reject that on every level. Thats not desperation, thats evil. plain and simple.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites