Dyson vacuum cleaner...Damn!!!

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Holy **** Batman!! I just picked one up (DC14 Animal) 'cause our Oreck died on us. Warning!!! keep small children, small pets, & anything else you don't want sucked up away from it (if your mother in laws small enough your in luck) And we thought the Oreck had some juice to it, man oh man this thing out sucks it by a mile. Attachments galore and no more problems with pet hair. No more smelly, nasty filter bags that pollute your air & cause your present vacuum to lose suction big time. If your in the market for a new vacuum give the Dyson line a look. I picked ours up at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. Man that helped.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited November 2006
    We have had one for about 2 years, Still works great. Kinda nasty how dirty your carpet really gets. The first time we used it I think we emptied it twice in just the living room.
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2006
    RSTERN wrote:
    Kinda nasty how dirty your carpet really gets.

Which is why I replaced all the carpet in my house with hardwood floors.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Really? I was thinking about pulling up my hardwoods and seeing if there was carpet underneath....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    I've been thinking on getting a new one for a while. Thanks for the post!
    No excuses!
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    I've had mine for about 3 years and have never had any problems. Can't say I like the color choices but at least it works!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Really? I was thinking about pulling up my hardwoods and seeing if there was carpet underneath....

I had some under my ceramic tile. No wonder it was so cushy to walk on...

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2006
    I keep seeing advertisements for these everywhere, must be cause of the holidays.

We've had our Kirby for what seems like forever, damn that thing weighes like 80 pounds but holy attachments and holy sucking power, still like day 1.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2006
    I have a Kirby. Bag-less vacuums are OK, but the emptying process is horrible for my allergies. Kirby's new are ridiculously priced, but I got a G4 on Ebay for $205 shipped and that vacuum is 100x more durable than the plastic crap vacuums that are on the market. I think I paid $95 for all of the accessories so for less than what the crap's out there I have a vacuum that will well outlast the alternatives.

The only difference between the G4, G5, or G6 (Ultimate) are essentially some of the filtration that's built into the bag that filters the air going back into the room. Can't beat an all metal body vacuum that drives itself. And if you think the self drive is unnecessary, try to push that **** without the drive engaged and you'll be getting a pretty good arm workout.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I have a Kirby.

And if you think the self drive is unnecessary, try to push that **** without the drive engaged and you'll be getting a pretty good arm workout.

Those Kirby's are TANKS. I have one (it's actually my dad's, but he let me use it when I moved in here almost a year ago and hasn't wanted it back yet), and the thing is great. Plus it has the whole shampooing assembly... which is also nice.

You're right about pushing it without the drive motor though. No thanks.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited November 2006
    Okay, but more importantly.....how does it sound?

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2006
    You think its good now - wait till you put an upgraded power cord on that thing....
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    You guys are getting me to thinking about "upgrading" vacuum cleaner. I have a $199 Hoover commercial type cleaner. I thought buying something that said "commerical" would work better than a standard one, but they don't. I've had it about 5 years and have never been very happy with it. Maybe it's time for a change.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    Hey Phil:

Thanks for the tip on the Dyson. I see the TV adds all the time, and wondered if they were really good.

I have a Kenmore 12amp bagless with "advanced allergen filtration". It has powerfull suction, and only $59.99 on sale (maybe even less). It cleans good enough, and I really don't vacuum too much anyway. Gives me extra $$ to spend on audio stuff :cool: .

BTW - how is the Dyson on bare floors?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    You guys are being 'sucked' into the vacuum voodoo.

Kirby's ROCK. Oreck packs a punch, for the arthritic, etc - easy to manipulate. Dyson? HA! Give me your standard bag catching Hoover, and I'll remove the voltage regulator on the motor, and it will be running like it's on NOS. Suck the butt out of the cat, I sh$t you not. Vacuums are EASY to tweak - you'd be suprised what 20 minutes, some lead wire, a little flux and an iron will do to a $119 Wally Mart special....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    I always thought Dyson was like the Bose of vacuum cleaners, you can get the same thing for a third of the cost.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    You mean I can tweak my $59 vacuum into a giant killer?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    You should let me tweak a gruntball Hoover, and get a Dyson, and hook them up to your computer to determine actual suckage.

You game? ;)

Libertyc - you'd be suprised - more often than not, for ease of production, the voltage of the motors are regualted DOWN to meet a pricepoint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    The top rated by many is the Eureka "The Boss" Smartvac with the only sealed HEPA sysyem on the market. The dust bunnies quiver and the cat hides when I pull it out of the closet. Beats the Dyson in head to head tests.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2006
    I have the 'Animal' too and I like it a lot.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    My carpet looks like hardwood.

Guess I should start thinking about buying one of those new-fangled vacuum cleaners.
    Sal Palooza
  • hljones821
    hljones821 Posts: 35
    edited November 2006
    Wait until you try the Rainbow cleaning system. It will put them all to shame. It has a water bowl in it that traps the dust in the water and actually removes it from your home.
    2 Channel: Adcom GTP-450,Adcom GFA-555II,Denon DVD-1920,Denon DCD-610,Pro-ject Phono Box E, Music Hall MMF-2.3 SE with Music Hall Spirit, Klipsch RP-250f, Velodyne F-1200 sub

HT Rig: Mitsubishi WD-73642,HK AVR-2600, Sony BDP-S580, Polk RTi100, Polk R50s,CSi25 Center,SVS 25-31 PCi Sub NSD Upgrade
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2006
    hljones821 wrote:
    Wait until you try the Rainbow cleaning system. It will put them all to shame. It has a water bowl in it that traps the dust in the water and actually removes it from your home.

Won't take long for it to get turned into a bong!:cool:
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    You should let me tweak a gruntball Hoover, and get a Dyson, and hook them up to your computer to determine actual suckage.

Yeah... but what do all those graphs and charts actually prove? What's important is how it sucks in my house on my carpet.

Along with the synergy between it and my toaster...

sheesh
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2006
    Yeah... but what do all those graphs and charts actually prove? What's important is how it sucks in my house on my carpet.

sheesh

:D too funny!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2006
    I think my wife's Dyson is GREAT! It's like a Swiss Army Knife with so many moving parts. I screwed it up the first time I was asked to use it and have been banned from EVER using it again. I LOVE that vacuum!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    All right you guys, start posting some links so that I can get a look at these vacs!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Holy hell, now we're tweaking vacumms! I can see Jesse soldering caps and **** on his as we speak.

Yeah, lets see some photos. This could be hotter than the babe thread. :D
    No excuses!
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2006

sheesh

Make sure to plug blinking lights into your outlets to clean the dirty noise the Dyson will leave in your AC flow.
  • Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited November 2006
    Libertyc wrote:
    You mean I can tweak my $59 vacuum into a giant killer?

I put in a new, heavy-duty power cord on my vac, and the suckstage increased by at least 45%. Only someone with cloth eyes wouldn't be able to see the difference.
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    I think my wife's Dyson is GREAT! It's like a Swiss Army Knife with so many moving parts. I screwed it up the first time I was asked to use it and have been banned from EVER using it again. I LOVE that vacuum!

That's exactly why I put dishes in the dishwasher the "wrong way", I've never had to load it since! I love that dishwasher. :D