LSi7 or LSi9

dark horror
dark horror Posts: 33
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I just recieved my LSiC, and I am amazed that for under $300 I can get a seaker that sounds this good.

Now I am looking to replace my rt2000p's with the LSi7 or LSi9. I am planning to get a powerd sub.

I am just not sure with I should get. For those who have tried both what are the differences?
Post edited by dark horror on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    I would go with the 9's unless your room is very small.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    where is the LSiC for less that 300.00??

I will second the LSi9, only because I want it also.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    Lsi center for under 300.00 bucks??
    Where??????????Sign me up.Anyone want a cs400i???
    Going from rt2000p's,how about the LSI 15's?Are you trying to save floor space?If you use stands for the 9's(which is what Id upgrade 2)you'll still take up the same space.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited July 2002
    I have the sevens but my HT room is small and I did not want overkill (is there such a thing in speakers?)

Anyways i liked my sevens when I first purchased them, but now after a good 5 months of breaking them in I have to say that I am really enjoying these speakers. They seem to be a perfect fit for my room. The clarity of sounds produced is amazing. I have friends come over to watch movies and they are floored with the sound. Even watching games on TV (Like the NBA and NHL finals) produced superb sound.

But now that I have the sevens I am looking at probably getting the 9's for my mains and putting the 7's as my rear speakers. Looking back I sometimes wish I would have purchased the nine's, but I was new to HT and did not believe bigger is always better because I really liked the way the sevens sounded. But going back and auditioning the nines I can hear that it has more "punch" than the sevens.

Oh well if I ever do get the nines I know that my HT setup will sound pretty damn good. So overall I would say get the nines unless your room is fairly small like Troy said.:)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • xfontanax
    xfontanax Posts: 82
    edited July 2002
    I went from RT2000i to LSi9, then decided I wanted the LSi15. In short, I've never heard the LSi7s, but coming from RT2000s, I recommend at least 9s w/ a good sub. If you are getting middle of the road sub, go with LSi15s (these produce good clean bass for music). Just my opinion.
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited July 2002
    dark horror
    I just recieved my LSiC, and I am amazed that for under $300 I can get a seaker that sounds this good.

I'm interested too, where is this store selling for under $300
    for LSiC, please do tell?

If I were you I will get the LSi9 or If you have bigger space
    will consider the LSi 15 also.

Anyway, whatever you will prefer the LSi line, they are all
    good.

Enjoy,
    Har
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited July 2002
    i would like the lsi-9 on my two psw-650 subs with my pedistals, i think that it would be a knockout combo

i might have to change my cs-400i to lsi-center. dose any of you know if there is that much diffreance in the two centers
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited July 2002
    I really enjoy my 9s that I have. I listen to a lot of music that has some very deep tonal basslines and while they do not reproduce everything, they do a VERY admirable job at some of the low end stuff. I am going to have to do a LOT of research into subwoofers and lots of listening tests to match the 9s.

When I get a house, I want 7s in my bedroom for just general music listening. The 9s are a PERFECT music and home theater speaker because of the flexibility of the frequencies that they are able to produce. You don't NEED a subwoofer with the 9s, but it will give you an extra kick on stuff below 60Hz or so.

I think either way, the 9s or the 7s are an excellent speaker.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2002
    I say Kill the Lsi25's and produce a new killer sub to complement the 15's. Make the new TOL an LSi/SDA. That would make an excellent group. Everything makes sense in the LSi lineup except the 25's. $1260 extra for 10" powered subs?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    I say Kill the Lsi25's and produce a new killer sub to complement the 15's. Make the new TOL an LSi/SDA. That would make an excellent group. Everything makes sense in the LSi lineup except the 25's. $1260 extra for 10" powered subs?
    Agreed. Still, Polk needs the powered tower, because of the market. That's a very popular speaker configuration right now, and it would hurt their sales if they didn't have it.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Perhaps the 15 and the 25 should come in both powered, and non-powered versions.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    Joe, the CSi40 has way more bass than the LSiC, but the LSiC is cleaner. Just keep the center matched to your mains.

I agree with Aaron that Polk needs to keep the Lsi25's. Some people just won't buy a seperate sub. That said, I still would love to see an LSi subwoofer released to go with the the non-powered LSi speakers.

Russman, I think it would difficult for retailers to find space for two types of an already fairly pricey speaker. It would also be more difficult to keep sufficient inventory levels.I don't believe having two styles would create many more sales either. You would simply be shifting buyers from a tower-and-sub purchase to a powered tower purchase, but they'd still be buying Polk either way.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    I'm pretty beat on the whole powered tower setup myself.I have owned them for a long time and now crave the like's of a passive tower speaker.
    I really never considered a shelf as one guy calls them,but he did peak an older curosity.I got to get my demo on it's been a long couple of weeks I havent demo'd anything.

I see the LSI series I'm not the only one they cought an attention
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited July 2002
    I'm also looking to upgrade to the Lsi line and would like to know who's selling the center for $300.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dark horror
    edited January 2003
    Thought I would bring this thread back. I got the LSiC used. How much more bass do you get from the LSi9 over the LSi7? Is it worth the extra 200-300$? Why would it matter if the room was small or not? Since the second LSi9 driver is crossedover at 200hz so it wouldn't affect much besides bass?

Could I see somewhat what the LSi7 would be like if I disconnect the jumper? Also then I could check what the second driver is giving me.

I will eventually want the LSi15, but untill I see an amazing deal or once I finish moving.( I am just about done with college. )
  • dark horror
    edited January 2003
    Very soon I will be able to compair the LSi7's to the LSiC, and I will tell you people how they compair.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    If you have a good source of high current power the LSI9's will produce excellent bass, surprisingly good. I am very pleased with mine.

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2003
    you can guess which I'll tell ya to get...

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP