Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2006
    Options
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Agreed no F'cking way.

Kids...

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Nor do they belong in restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, music venues, museums and a host of other public places.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Nor do they belong in restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, music venues, museums and a host of other public places.

We have a Winner!!

Slap a gold star on him..
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I think comparing this to all of the public places mentioned by Jesse is kind of a stretch. I think cell phones are fine in any place where you would consider a quiet conversation appropriate. People certainly chat with each other on planes now, assuming you're not travelling alone. As soon as folks realize they don't have to SCREAM INTO THEIR CELL PHONES LIKE IT'S A CAN ON A STRING we'll be fine. I can talk in a very quiet converastional tone into my cell phone and most people can hear me just fine, and if you were more than 3 seats away you'd never even know I was speaking.

Gotta grow with the times folks. Sorry.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2006
    Options
    When my wife's phone rings in a restaurant she leaves the room so she can talk in peace and give everyone else a break.

I may chap some people here -- but I think folks that drive and babble on cell phones for miles and miles because they have nothing better to do should be drug from their cars and beaten. They've lost the use of half of their arms, they rarely use turn signals, and they make poor turns that usually end up in a lane where they shouldn't be. If you gotta talk, make it hands-free!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    petrym wrote:
    If you gotta talk, make it hands-free!

Ah... because nothing says "Scarlet Letter" quite like a Bluetooth headset:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ah... because nothing says "Scarlet Letter" quite like a Bluetooth headset:D

No, it's because nothing says "DORK" like a bluetooth headset!:D Convenient or not, they still look something out of Star Trek.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I was just trying to be a little more subtle:D
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Studies have shown that "hands-free" does almost nothing in terms of increasing your attention to the road. It's the act of talking to someone who is not there that distracts you, not having one hand occupied.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    Options
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2006
    Options
    As long as they sit on the wing and talk, I'm good with it.
    Bobman1235 wrote:
    As soon as folks realize they don't have to SCREAM INTO THEIR CELL PHONES LIKE IT'S A CAN ON A STRING we'll be fine.

Yeah, that would help tremendously.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    As long as they sit on the wing and talk, I'm good with it.

Good one Blue:D
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,566
    edited November 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Studies have shown that "hands-free" does almost nothing in terms of increasing your attention to the road. It's the act of talking to someone who is not there that distracts you, not having one hand occupied.

When you hold a cell to your ear, It freezes you head. In other words, not looking around. Headsets help, but still don't solve the "heavily involved" talker. I usually get a call, find out if it's important, and then move on. If it requires a lot of thinking, pull over. Normally, it's to tell me something "is broke, get over there now" and they're gone.

Smoking or eating in the car is less than good, too.
    Some people get in their car in the parking lot, and get on a call. That I don't understand. It's like a light switch. Drive, talk. Those guys are trouble.

Eating in a restaurant, I don't care. No differenence. If both parties were there live, it would be twice as much talking.

Plane. No way. Only quiet time I get on a road trip. No babies, no cell phones, no damn yakky group of sales guys. shut up and read,or sleep.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bluetooth headsets are great. When I changed from the corded to bluetooth there's a huge difference in your head turning capabilities (for those that clip the wire on their shirt or seatbelt.

As for using my phone on the plane, I wouldn't be opposed to having the option, but I'm not paying $3.50/min to talk to ANYone........

Also, it doesn't sound like all cell carriers would be accommodated. Not everyone runs on a GSM platform.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'd rather walk than have to listen to some stupid teenager and their 3 hour conversation.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bob, it's not quiet conversations that are the problem as you noted, it's the screamers. Just as bad, if not worse, are the damn things ringing or playing some noise tone. Nothing says rude quite like it and if that's growing with the times, God help us.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bobman1235
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I just don't like the idea of banning cell phones in certain places because people are too irresponsible to use them politely (keep them on vibrate unless necessary, talk in regular conversational tones). Some of us do know how to not be rude.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited November 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Some of us do know how to not be rude.

Bob,

I am afraid you are in the minority. The problem is that there is no test for politeness that can be given before allowing you to use your cell phone. All it takes is one rude person with an obnoxious constant ring or "Homey" talk to ruin it for everyone in the plane. If we have to place labels on blowdryers to tell people not to use them in the shower, how do you expect us to trust these same people to be considerate of their neighbor?
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Cell phones should be for emergency only. I have one for work and it sits on by desk when I am in meetings. That really pisses me off when a cell phone goes off in a meeting. Some people NEED to feel important.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2006
    Options
    janmike wrote:
    Cell phones should be for emergency only.

That might be a little extreme there.... I don't even have a land line, use my cell phone for everything... which is rare because I hate talking on teh phone, but it's nice to be able to do it wherever I want, when it's APPROPRIATE.

You're absolutely right, Holy, there is no barometer for politeness, and some people never really get the hint. sigh. I guess we all have to suffer, then.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited November 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Gotta grow with the times folks. Sorry.

Nicely put. I agree 100%. I've grown accustomed to just having my phone on Vibrate continually. Not only does it not annoy the heck outta me, but doesn't disrupt the atmosphere wherever I am at.

With no land line either, I never have to listen to a phone ring at my house...

Silence, truly is Golden.

Or is that, Good Vibrations? :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I vote no; in my opinion, it's just gives people one more reason to be rude.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Text Messaging, it solves worlds of problems when it comes to being rude and talking in public.

Whether it be on a regular phone or blackberry, people should learn text messaging.

Now, when it comes to a cellular devices in a vehicle, I vote no on everything. Cell phones in a car have nothing to with being rude, it's about the safety.

If you NEED to talk to someone in a restaurant, movie theater, or other similiar setting use a damn text message! And no one give me the BS text messaging is expensive, even the worst plans its only a couple extra bucks a month.

Now if we really wanna talk rude, nextel 2 way radios not on speaker off mode in public settings! I really don't care to hear both sides of a conversation never mind one side.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2006
    Options
    On planes, no

Elsewhere, just put the "designated cell phone usage area" sign outside next to the smoking areas...
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Sorry no communication over phone is that important not to have to off at times.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    That might be a little extreme there.... I don't even have a land line, use my cell phone for everything... which is rare because I hate talking on teh phone, but it's nice to be able to do it wherever I want, when it's APPROPRIATE.

You're absolutely right, Holy, there is no barometer for politeness, and some people never really get the hint. sigh. I guess we all have to suffer, then.
    I survived in the tech world for years without one. Now it is a convenience and a pain in the **** all in one. I always found a phone when I need one. I'll stick with the emergency idea; an emergency is a relative term.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'd rather see WiFi on planes than anything. It would be great to have an internet connection for that 5 hour cross-country flight. Then you could e-mail and IM without disturbing anyone.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Josh wrote:
    I'd rather see WiFi on planes than anything. It would be great to have an internet connection for that 5 hour cross-country flight. Then you could e-mail and IM without disturbing anyone.

Best option I have heard yet.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote