FS: One-Off Eico HF-60 Tube Monoblocks

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited November 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Rare, one of kind tube amps for the discerning Polkhead. These are STRAIGHT of Uncle Charlies estate - and I would keep them if I had the funds. The most desireable Eico Iron out there, if not one of the most desireable amps EVER made. Acrosound TO-330 output trannies. If you know tubes, you know what the TO-330's are worth alone.

The amps were gutted, and completely rebuilt by Gary Dodd about 6 years ago. Charlie listened to them on occasion, but kept them in magic closet for most of their life. The stock HF-60 runs EL34's, these are modded to run KT88's, TRIODE STRAPPED. The most glorious, the most powerful 30 watts you will EVER hear - period.

Rebuild is complete, with Michicon and Sonicaps. DUAL GZ34/5AR4 Brown Base Sylvania power rectifiers. RCA Blackplate 6SN7GTB and a Phillips JAN 6922 on the front end. Power tubes are a matched set of Ruby Tubes KT88. Tiffany gold input jacks, and Cardas binding posts are the icing on this already delicious audio cake. Power cords are upgraded also, 6ft Tara labs, with Hubble hospital grade connectors. All tube sockets are upgraded to Gold - sans the power rectifiers (not directly in the audio circuit). Simple passive volume pot on the side of each amp - should you care to run source direct with no preamp - if not, just crank the volume pot, and hook up your favorite preamp.

NO biasing. The triode strap is setup with a cathode bias. I haven't even had a chance to dust them off, I started listening immediately. All proceeds are going DIRECTLY to Marilyn, Charlies widow. This is IT. Bring on the Joule, Cary, your best BAT - bring ANY $10,000 set of amps to the table, and prepare to be floored. Plug and Play, and ready for another 40 years of service, I **** you not.

$1500 shipped, lower 48 - Canada add $40. I cannot stress the rarity and sound of these amps enough. I humbly request first right of refusal, when and if the buyer chooses to sell.

Cheers,
Russ

Once in a lifetime chance, think, and think hard. Sell what you have to. More detailed pics available tomorrow night.
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hahahaha...did I just look in the FM? Noooooooo! I can't do that anymore!

I don't need anymore amps, I don't have room for anymore amps, I don't have money for anymore amps, I don't have the equipment to justify any nicer amps....

hubba hubba...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Very nice amps Russ. These are some of the finest sounding PP amps of all time. Too bad I don't have some extra cash...
    There is nothing like a nice set of tube amps.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You had to wait until after I just bought another TAD-60 to list these :( . I would've been the first in line to take 'em off your hands Russ. Good luck with the sale bro :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thinking.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thought I smelled smoke. ;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    Options
    heh heh heh.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You guys are gonna put me in the f#ckin' poorhouse...
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    Options
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you are over the top Ant'ny.

RT1
  • Johncan
    Johncan Posts: 38
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Eico amps are killer! I have a HF-87 that is incredible. Wish I had need for another Eico amp.

John
    My main rig
    Eico HF-87 amp and Eico HF-85 preamp; Klipsch Cornwall I; Systemdek IIX TT w/ a Dynavector 10x4 MKII cart; Denon DVD-2910 universal CD/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD player - Polk Monitor 5s, 7s, & 10s used in secondary systems.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Nice, those irons are simply magic. I saw a pair good TO-330's approached 4 digit in ebay!!!

-fredv-
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    You guys are gonna put me in the f#ckin' poorhouse...
    So, how are the room dynamics there. Did you buy them?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Still here....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Nobody picked these up yet??

Russ,

I always wanted a pair of SET amps. How do these compare?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Triode strapped KT88's vs SET?

Well, you'll get the glorious midrange SET is known for, but as an added bonus you get a buttery sweet top end, and a fat bottom that you'd have to hear to believe.

Hey, I'm fine with you guys getting to see them, read about them, get your audio learn on - whatever the case may be. I figured there is a greater chance than zero that they will end up in Japan, or Hong Kong, or South Korea - probably to the tune of $2200-$2500 if my eastern radar is still in tune..... ;)

I'd just love to see them stay here, in the states (or the GWN), at a fair price (trannies and tubes alone, forget mods) - and I know Charlie would dig it too - God rest his soul.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy reply Russ.

What exactly is trioide strapped? Is is like running an amp in trioide mode vs. UL mode? I have a KT88 stereo int. that will switch between the two, and theres a big difference in sound and power output.

I always run mine in trioide mode.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Exactly, you don't have an option with these amps, the (obvious) decision has been made already for you, without that dirty, **** switch in the path F'n up your audio fix. ;)

Given the option (switch), on ANY amp - I've never heard anyone choose UL....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    Options
    So, how are the room dynamics there. Did you buy them?

I can't. I had a choice of property taxes or audio..... In Jersey, taxes ain't cheap...

Don't think I wasn't tempted.
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Options

I want to buy these...

I need a very good reason too.

OK - if I buy these I'll bring them to Polkfest 2007