Occasional Popping on Center Speaker

Options
YellowJacket
YellowJacket Posts: 2
edited November 2006 in Troubleshooting
I've just bought a RM6900 set and the center channel speaker pops occasionally (every 15-30 minutes) when watching TV or DVDs, even at low volumes. No popping at startup. All the other speakers do not have the popping problem. I've already read the popping descriptions in the library.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/?helpid=11

I'm driving the system with an Onkyo TX-SV343 receiver. The center channel is 50W (1 kHz, 0.15% THD, 8 ohms) in surround mode according to the manual. The wiring is Monster THX SP 16 gauge. I've triple checked the connection and it seems solid. However, it is sitting atop a CD player (due to space limitations) that probably reverberates and reduces sound quality. Could the thin metal case of the CD player be an issue? Any other suggestions to help me diagnose?
Post edited by YellowJacket on

Comments

• Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited November 2006
    Options
    It could be, but it sounds like there is a stray voltage build up somewhere that is discharging into your center channel. Suggested action(s) - remove the CD player from the equation, also, replace the center with another speaker. If the "pop" moves you have a speaker issue. If not, its somewhere else.

Strangely enough, I have not changed ANYTHING in my system, but last night it started popping randomly - several speakers are affected. I _AM_ in the process of string new wires for new lights, but none of them have been connected - no electrical circuits have been disturbed yet! WTF! Even with the AVR on standy I get pops. Turned off the amps, no popping. So I have a mystery, too!
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yellow jacket,

Maybe try some of the those little rubber feet for an insulator between the speaker and the DVD player. You can find them at Home Depot in the hardware isle.

Schwingding sounds like you are stirring up some static electricity from the carpet. Just a guess.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Scott you may have been correct. I finished the job last night and returned the room to normal (but with good riddance to the nasty overhead flourescent lighting). Turned everything on and enjoyed an episode of "Rome" - spectacular PQ on DVD, by the way.

No pops at all. When you coming over for a listen?
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You let me know when is good for you. I just have to make sure my wife has not committed me to something or if I have to stay home with the kids.

PM me and we can figure it out. I am really interested in hearing your set up.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • YellowJacket
    YellowJacket Posts: 2
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well, it's not the speaker. I replaced the center channel with a bookshelf speaker and had the same problem. I've moved it around the room, to eliminate sitting atop the CD player from the equation, without improvement.