So... my truck is using oil...

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2006
    Are you looking at the same pictures that I am?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,461
    edited November 2006
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2006
    So you're serious?

I'm still having a hard time finding that "driver's side valve cover".

I think you're mistaken on the location of the throttle body in relation to the intake plenum. Also, IIRC, Ford started tilting the I6 to one side for many reasons including clearance issues (it's tall) and it actually made more power leaning over to one side because teh intake and exhaust runners had a more direct flow into and out of the cylinder head. That also meant that the distributor appeared higher, more upright and forward in the engine bay.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2006
    LOL Yes, I am serious. Early to mid '90's. Pic's from a Ford service manual. Last group of Ford's with 4.9/5.8 we had were '95's. After that model year, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT: Add enlarged, cropped pic of what can be seen of left valve cover.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• SCompRacer
    edited November 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:

OK, I looked.
    amulford wrote:
    Whats it got in it?
    As in...engine? 302

A 302 is a 5.0 V8.

When we were dealing with Ford Motor Company back in the '90's, the warranty rep for Ford told us they considered 1 quart per 1000 miles to be acceptable oil consumption. I have no idea what they say now. So you can cling to your engines shouldn't use oil, you can say that is horrible consumption and think I am screwed up for saying a quart for 1,250 miles on that old Ford. The fact is in the real world many engines use oil and many of the people that drive those cars are not willing to shell out the dough to fix them if proper diagnosis determines the problem to be a ring/bore/piston problem.

In the early to mid 90's, I believe Ford had some QC problems with their engines, particularly the 4.9L I6 with con rods in '95. Many of the 5.8's we had started consuming a quart of oil per 1400 miles well before 100K. And if you think some fleets don't maintain their vehicles well with scheduled oil changes, that is another misconception you’re going to have to deal with. That is why a drivers pre trip normally specifies check the oil before use and add if necessary.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2006
    Use a can of Sea-Foam in the crankcase. It will clean all of the crap out of the motor and allow the oil rings to seat properly. Great stuff!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    A Ford engine can burn 1 quart for 1000 miles, you got to be kidding me.

No wonder Toyota is #1

Edited because I'm an Idiot at times.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited November 2006
    My Ford isnt burning any oil...

Its just relocating it in an unusable spot.. hell, it hardly burns ANY oil to be specific...

Will check the intake tommorow... havnt had a chance - may not even have a chance tommorow...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited November 2006
    Just wanted to let you folks know that you guys nailed it right on the head...

Changed the PCV valve and there is next to no oil in the intake now... oil pressure is normal, oil isnt being used.

Truck is actually running 100% now as far as I know!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.