Dude, you're getting a Dell!

PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
My very first Dell computer was just delivered by the UPS man. In the past I've always built my PC's cheaply with stuff on sale at Fry's but prices are incredibly low now and the fact that I can get AMD seals the deal.

I got an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (dual core!!), 512MB DDR, 80GB SATAII HD, 48XCDRW/DVDROM, and a 17" CRT for ~$330 including tax and shipping. Unfreaking believable. I don't need the CRT since I already have LCD's, but I figure I can get maybe $50 locally for it on Craigslist. Once I throw in a $50 ram upgrade and my DVD burner I think I'm set. I don't play PC games so video cards don't concern me. I ordered on Friday afternoon around 3 and it was delivered this AM... way to go Dell!

Back in 1998 when I was starting college we paid almost $3000 for a PII system with a 17" CRT. Eight years later the price is about 1/10, and the computers are probably 10X faster. With these kinds of prices for complete systems, I think my days of putting together computers are over. Now I just need to sneak out early this afternoon and go home and get linux installed :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2006
    My wife finally broke down and got a fairly high-end Dell laptop, it's nice. The wireless internet is awesome. Enjoy!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2006
    I'm getting ready to order a Dell flat panel... the E207. I want widescreen with good resolution... and 20% off helps too. ;)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    That is a very good deal. Good job.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2006
    My old PC just 3 weeks ago was a Dell. great puter just a tadd outdated. I am now running a dual core INtel 1gig of ram 280gig HD and a nice 17"Sammy LCD monitor.
    Congrats on the new PC. Mine new has made my life so much easier..
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2006
    The only thing you really get from building your own at this point are :
    - satisfaction of building your own thing
    - slightly enhanced expandability (most of the Dells tend to be limitedon expansion slots)
    - slightly better components in some cases (since you hand pick each piece)

But honestly, most of that seems outweighed by the ridiculous price benefits at this point.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2006
    I've got a 160GB IDE HD in my old computer that I'm planning on transferring as well as the DVD burner.

There's no way I could have upgraded my old system to the new processor/mb/ram/hd and finally a legit copy of windows with the same amount of money. I'm sure I'll always tinker around and upgrade parts but I think I'll just use pre-built systems as a starting point for major upgrades.
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2006
    Ha, the legit copy of Windows argument is a great one. I forgot all about that... says a lot about me I guess. :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2006
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited October 2006
    Love my XPS 400! 3ghz Dual core, 2gb RAM, dual 160gb SATA drives mirrored, 256mb Video, 19" Ultrasharp and 3 year gold next day at home support.

John
    No excuses!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    I've bought 2 Dell desktops and 3 Dell notebooks. I've not been dissapointed yet.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    My very first Dell computer was just delivered by the UPS man. In the past I've always built my PC's cheaply with stuff on sale at Fry's but prices are incredibly low now and the fact that I can get AMD seals the deal.

I got an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (dual core!!), 512MB DDR, 80GB SATAII HD, 48XCDRW/DVDROM, and a 17" CRT for ~$330 including tax and shipping. Unfreaking believable. I don't need the CRT since I already have LCD's, but I figure I can get maybe $50 locally for it on Craigslist. Once I throw in a $50 ram upgrade and my DVD burner I think I'm set. I don't play PC games so video cards don't concern me. I ordered on Friday afternoon around 3 and it was delivered this AM... way to go Dell!

Back in 1998 when I was starting college we paid almost $3000 for a PII system with a 17" CRT. Eight years later the price is about 1/10, and the computers are probably 10X faster. With these kinds of prices for complete systems, I think my days of putting together computers are over. Now I just need to sneak out early this afternoon and go home and get linux installed :D

Did you get this directly from dell.com? I can't seem to configure that system for that price...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2006
    Sweet that's what I did. took my old HD and installed it in the new one. I have a20gig lying around if I want that as well but... I as well took my other burner and now I have two dvd burners...
    Ya legit copy of windows...ha my first one too....;)

One thing I don't like is that my mouse and keyboard both use USB connections. I have plenty of them but still why USB when I have the other connections as well.
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I've got a 160GB IDE HD in my old computer that I'm planning on transferring as well as the DVD burner.

There's no way I could have upgraded my old system to the new processor/mb/ram/hd and finally a legit copy of windows with the same amount of money. I'm sure I'll always tinker around and upgrade parts but I think I'll just use pre-built systems as a starting point for major upgrades.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    And you won't! It changes what looks like day by day! It's the luck of the draw.
    nadams wrote:
    Did you get this directly from dell.com? I can't seem to configure that system for that price...
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2006
    It was a special deal, but they have stuff for cheap like that all the time.

Man, what a weird system. My old system was a plain jane ATX socket 754. This thing is definitely not ATX. Is it BTX? I've heard of that but have no idea what it looks like. For starters the case opens on the other side, just feels really strange. Its also extremely quiet. No fans on the motherboard, and the processor fan is nothing like I've seen before. There is a HUGE heatsink with no fan directly attached, but a big plastic "tunnel" over it which is fed by a huge (but quiet) side facing fan.

One thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that the chipset has an IDE controller, and the motherboard has an IDE solder connection, but they didn't attach a connector!!!! What a pain. I guess it saved them $0.03 per motherboard not to use what little plastic and metal for the connector but jeez... Now I have to get a PCI IDE card to put in my old HD and DVD burner. So its not perfect, but I'm still pleased with the purchase.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    I just got one of their business flyers and they had a complete PC with 256 ram and 60 gb hd, 17" CRT, XP and a printer for $299. I'm trying to find the flyer so I can remember which processor it had...I think it was an AMD Duron, but what ever it was, it was a hell of a deal and no rebates to **** with. One could spend another $150-200 in upgrades and have a damn nice puter for the $$$.

I might get one for the boys so they'll stay off mine.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, Fry's usually has some HP/Compaq systems for around $300 but they usually include lower end CPU's and a ton of rebates to deal with. I jumped at this deal because it had a decent dual core processor and absolutely no rebates to monkey around with.

Just ordered a PCI IDE controller from newegg for $15 so we'll so how that goes. It says it is ATAPI compliant so I'm hoping it won't give me any fits with the DVD burner.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2006
    Cool. I almost bought a Dell, they put together some nice deals, but my neighbor turned me onto the PC Club and I ended up getting a custom built machine, better, and for less.

Enjoy, new 'puters are a blast.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2006
    Tigerdirect for myself. The Dell pricepoint is real good though. But that is why i think Mr. Dell was #3 on forbes this year.:eek: Stock has dropped alot with all the recalls recently..............
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited October 2006
    I've had a couple of problems with my dell actually. I'm on my 3rd hard drive, and my monitor is starting to go as well. The computer is less then 2 years old.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2006
    damn... ordered my monitor yesterday and already shipped today. Crazy fast for a company that size!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2006
    Dell does tend to have a lot of component failures. Usually specific components repeatedly in the run of a particular model. For instance, any of the low-profile models where they used the Maxtor Slimline hard drives were prone to hard drive failure - even under normal operating conditions. The mixture of poor case ventilation and just plain old crappy hardware doomed those drives. I even had some of the slimlines in regular ATX cases, and they were also purchased from Newegg.com, not Dell, and they still failed in the same manner.

Some products just suck, and when you're buying the cheapest of everything, the suck factor is bound to be elevated.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • jvarnadoe
    jvarnadoe Posts: 52
    edited October 2006
    We've had a Dell desktop for 6 years and not a single problem. Even if it quits tomorrow I've gotten my money's worth out of it. The prices are so cheap these days I think it's about time to upgrade.
    Polk collection:
    SDA SRS 2.3 w/RDO-194's
    SDA 2 w/Vampire BPHEX
    M5jr+
    CS245i
    RT15i
    RT25i
    RT35i
    LC65i x2
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited October 2006
    Used to have a Dell. It was high end when I bought it. It lasted me for 7 years with no problems. Had to upgrade though. Currently, my main PC is an HP media center with an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor and about 500 gig of hd storage, with 1 gig of RAM. It's Vista ready if I should choose to upgrade... Love it! Been playing Empire Earth II on it with excellent results.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Toxis wrote:
    damn... ordered my monitor yesterday and already shipped today. Crazy fast for a company that size!

Haven't you seen their commercials??? They're building, packaging and shipping your computer as you order it on the phone....kind of like a computer drive-thru window.:D :D:D

I might get one for my boys, because of the price, but I'll stick with my Vaio.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006
    Just received another Dell laptop on Friday. Order it last Monday night. Hell, the Dell arrived real fast -- about an hour after I received the email notice that it had been shipped. I also received a automated telephone call Friday morning saying my Dell would arrive later today and I needed to sign for it.

The Dell included McAfee virus scan, spam killer and other stuff which, IMO, is junk. Unfortunately, it's not easy to delete. There's no uninstall option in the program itself or in the add/remove programs. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2006
    you may not be able to uninstall those programs.. so i just stop them from running in start up (msconfig.exe). i do have a virus program, and spam one too.. but i don't always like the ones that come bundled like that either.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2006
    A quick Google search turns up this manual install method.

If they sent you the XP install disk, I would personally just scrub the thing and start with a clean slate.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2006
    Congrats on the purchase. It really is incredibly how cheap the prices are getting for quality hardware. :cool:
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2006
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2006
    ok, so maybe I spoke too soon. Since Dell was too cheap to solder on an IDE connector to the motherboard, I ordered this:

PCI IDE controller

So that I can put in my old IDE HD and hopefully my DVD burner as well. So I install the card into the open PCI slot and it won't play nice. With no IDE devices connected to it, I can boot just fine, and WindowsXP recognizes the card and installs it just fine. Whenver I connect my old HD to the new card, the card takes over during boot up and demands a bootable drive be used. I can't figure out any way to bypass this card and just boot normally. I've got my BIOS setup to read my SATA drive first for boot sequence, but this card takes over my computer as soon as I push the power button. Very frustrating. I've emailed the card manufacturer but I somehow doubt they will be all that helpful. Anyone ever use a PCI IDE controller card like this? I can use some help :(