RT800 6.5 driver

Options
PB2000
PB2000 Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a set of RT800 speakers that were purchased in 12/97. In '02
one of the drivers went bad and was replaced under warranty. Now I'm
having the same issue again, but with the other driver, same speaker.
The problem is the mid and low range is distorted and breaking up. If I
gently push on the cone, you can hear and feel it rubbing internally on one
side, this is something that doesn't happen on the others. Is this to be
expected, or would something else cause these to go bad over time, like
say a bad crossover? The driver in question has a tag MW7013 B07013
01-Oct-97. I've already emailed Polk's customer service and they provided no response but just to tell me that MW7013 is no longer available and I can buy a MW7203 and where I could call to order and send the money. Not the warm and fuzzy you'd expect from customer service. Heck, they didn't even explain if theres a the difference between the replacement drivers, after all, isn't it suppose to be about the sound?
Post edited by PB2000 on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Polk's customer service is second-to-none. If you weren't satisfied with the email response, you should call them on the telephone. I'm sure they will be glad to help you with a replacement part. It's not common for a driver to just "go bad". Usually the problem you describe is the result of overdriving the speaker or of some type of physical shock, damage to the surround, etc..

I'd suggest you call them. I think you get a bit of a discount for being registered as a Club Polk member, so mention that when you call.

Jason
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    Please feel free to communicate with me at either kswauger@polkaudio.com or 1-800-377-7655 extension 891. I'll be happy to offer whatever information I can provide.
    Regards, Ken
  • PB2000
    PB2000 Posts: 2
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thank you Ken for your time and assistance.
  • Chopstar
    Chopstar Posts: 2
    Options
    I also need the same speaker MW7013 do you know where I can get that speaker or should I call you !!