Monitor 70 Tweeters

Options
Sciotto
Sciotto Posts: 5
edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I've had my Monitor 70's since 2005 and have blown the tweeters 3 times now. I'm running them on an Onkyo 8511 receiver. They sound great when the tweeters are working. But, I'm concerned that when the warranty runs out, I'll have these great speakers with no tweeters. What can I do?

Thanks
Sciotto
Post edited by Sciotto on

Comments

• Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Interesting.
    I ran my monitor 70's for a couple years on an Onkyo 502, 75 WPC and never had a problem.

How hard are you playing them? Ever play loud enough to hear distortion?
  • Sciotto
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I do play them pretty loud. I'm no audiophile, but I haven't noticed any distortion.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You aren't the only one. If you read some of the customer reviews on the Polk product page you'll notice that others also have had this problem with the tweeters blowin' out. Maybe it's time to sell the 70's and upgrade.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    Options
    A. Turn it down

2. Get a better, high current amp

D. Buy a substantially more efficient speaker for your application (or lack thereof)

Cheers,
    Russ

'Clipping' is your word of the day. Search. Read. Learn.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I have the 70's and have also had a tweeter crap out on me while running off an avr only. Since i added my Rotel RB1070 i can crank those puppies up as loud as i want with zero distortion and no blown tweeter. My advise...get a 2 channel amp and be done with it. You will be amazed at how good your 70's will sound with more power, IMO they shouldn't be run off an avr if you listen at high levels.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited October 2006
    Options
    'Clipping' is your word of the day. Search. Read. Learn.

Bingo!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sciotto
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Message received on clipping. Apparently my onkyo does not have a powerful enough amp. I would I integrate an amplifer into the system?

Old and stuupid Sciotto
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited October 2006
    Options
    If you are asking if adding a separate amp will help, yes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I don't want to insult anyone, but I suspect that people who buy the larger Monitor series tend to skimp on the components required to run them. Why do I suspect this? I was one of them. They're large, inefficient speakers. They are also relatively inexpensive, and available at big box stores. That is exactly why I bought a pair! But then with cost cutting in mind, I also neglected to provide them with what they need to run at loud levels - proper amplification, instead relying on a high end receiver. I blew a tweeter.

I then upgraded a couple of times - speakers that is. I blew a tweeter in a RTi10. I knew it was due to clipping, I honestly knew it. So then I bought a separate amp - an Adcom 545. No more clipping, better sound, and no more blown tweeters. Now I have separate amps for all 5 speakers, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks. I have zero fears of blowing tweeters in any of them, and am able to play them much more loudly and with greater performance than ever before. Those Monitor 70s are power hungry, inefficient speakers. You need to feed them properly. Properly powered, they will sound even better to you.

Yes, you have a few options - turn down the sound, buy a separate amp, buy a more efficient speaker, or any combination of the three.

Incidentally, "inefficient", while sounding bad when you read it, does not mean necessarily that the speakers will sound bad, just that they take more power to run at a particular sound level. The RTi10s are technically less efficient than the Monitor 70s, by 1 db.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I have had my Monitor 70s for about a year now and when I watch some movies or have friends over and we are drunk we will absolutely crank the volume and sing along to songs. :p However I haven't heard any audible distortion nor have I blown any tweeters. I have them bi-wired so they are receiving 240 peak watts per speaker. My receiver is fairly powerful, do you think I will be alright or should I tone it down a little?
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yes.... I think you and your friends should tone it down.

I'm trying to sleep over here:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Haha, will do man, sorry about that. :p
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Mute, the problem with "loud" is that it is subjective. The same speaker load in a small room will not sound as "loud" as that in a large one, and the same thing that sounds loud to my wife is barely even enjoyable to me.

Incidentally, the same speaker, the left front, was always the one to blow with my AVR driving them. Makes me wonder what if anything is different about the internal amp driving that particular channel.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • FicmanS
    FicmanS Posts: 134
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Had my 70's almost 11 months now, I really think I gave them a good 100 hour gentle break in. In the last few months I've hit them pretty hard no tweeter issues here. I read in several threads about taking it easy on these tweeters in the forums, I've really put the heat to those speakers a few times recently without any problems... Break in time seems to have paid for me...

70's seem to get beat up often, I've been very happy with mine...
    Rockin' In My House :D

Pioneer 50 inch Plasma TV
    Denon AVR-3806
    Denon DVD-1930ci
    Polk Montor 70's
    Polk PSW-12
    Polk CS2
    Polk Monitor 40's

Sirius Satellite Radio, Monster 3500MKII
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I think it's an underrated speaker.... and certainly takes more flaming than it deserves.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I used to like 5 channel stereo until i put my Rotel amp on my 70's. Now there's nothin but 2 channel music for me.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W