Flea Market

wsemajb
wsemajb Posts: 2
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Hello all,

I thought I'd stop by and register to let you know I have a couple of mint condition Polk speakers to sell. I've never ebay'd so before I go through the learning curve to post them on ebay, I thought I'd offer them here first.
Apparently I cannot do this until I've been a member of some standing here, but this is the only Polk product I own, and I doubt that I'd be contributing 25 posts anytime in the near future.

If the 25 post policy is unbendable, please let me know. If I should address this question to someone specifially please let me know. If I'm out of line even mentioning a sale as a new member, go ahead and shout:o

If anyone is otherwise interested, and gives me the go ahead, I'll post photos and description in the Flea Market.

Thank you very much
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Sorry for your situation but this site tries to build a comunity and this comunity does not want to have people just show up to buy or sell their stuff.

Some people (not necessarily you) may come here to get someone to buy something and then not deliver.

We appreciate your offer but rulz iz rulz.

Stick around and you may learn something and even appreciate the speakers you are trying to sell.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited October 2006
    Pretty classy to ask first, though.

Nice manners is always a plus.

.....or should that be nice manners are always a plus ?

In any event, hang around. You'll learn stuff despite your best efforts. I know I have. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2006
    I think this is a cheesy way to let people know that you have stuff for sale that you can't legitimately sell on the Flea Market. I'm sure SOMEBODY will PM this guy to see if they can make a quick score.

"If the 25 post rule is unbendable, please let me know."

Gosh of COURSE it's bendable. We do it for everybody that waltzes in and has one post. A post that has no contribution other than "I have stuff for sale!"

Take your stuff to ebay.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2006
    GG - maybe we give him the benefit of doubt on this? He is trying to work with the rules, and he didn't do the 25 one word posts to crank up his post count to be able to use the flea market!

And he might learn something in the journey to get to 25 posts and appreciate his Polk speakers enough to keep them.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    Maybe you can give him the benefit of the doubt. What is the rule there for? Might as well just toss it if everybody that shows up gets the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'll be the Doubting Thomas. This appears to be nothing more than a way to circumvent the rules.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Well he would, maybe, get some PMs if he would tell what speakers he has.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    All he had to say was that he had Polks. The PMers will inquire, rest assured.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2006
    He didn't even say what model speakers they were, so I'm sure his intention wasn't to peak interest by circumventing the Flea market post number policy.

Didn't seem to cheesy or salesy to me, and I'm a sales guy, so I would know.

However (playing devil's advocate to myself), his name makes no sense, and that bothers me. It's a little incognito to just mash letters on a keyboard and have that as your tag.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    wsemajb...isn't that some central american tribe ???;) :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dkg999
    edited October 2006
    GG - your point is valid. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    wsemajb...isn't that some central american tribe ???;) :D

It means "I got **** to sell," in Swahili, no kiddin'. ;)
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    Thanks Doug. This is OUR forum.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2006
    I gotta agree with George, It was nicely asked

"I know you have rules that state they apply to me, but I don't want them to - can you remove them in my case"

The rules are there for a reason and why would we break them just cuz someone we don't know asked nicely?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Well said George & Michael!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited October 2006
    I also don't believe you can receive or send PM's until you have 25 posts. It's a good rule and I see both Doug and George's side, but I have to side with George. It's a privlidge to use the FM and you need to put forth some effort to participate. That's just how it works, and it seems to work pretty well.

That is all

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    Agree; as it has been said, the rules are there for a reason, and if the rules are not followed we'll end up with a "parallel" FM for "one posters".

Hang around, learn something, have some fun (we do that also).

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    I like the rules. They are there for our protection and if anything, they may be a little light. 25 posts can be done pretty quick.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    "...and I doubt that I'd be contributing 25 posts anytime in the near future."

I don't think he's planning on sticking around. He wants to sell his stuff in the "near future". Like tonight. He could care less about the members of this forum, or contributing to it.

McLoki nailed it in one sentence. He's VERY special, and OUR rules should not apply to HIM. Either that, or he's as dumb as a stick. If prompted, I doubt he'd tell you he was dumb.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2006
    I just bought speakers from the flea market and felt safe because it was from a member that we see often on the fourm. Bypassing the rules will take that safe feeling away. NO BENDING!!!!!!!!!!! Good intensions or not.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    If anything, the 25 posts is not enough.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited October 2006
    "Let's take him out back and beat the **** out of him!" - Michael Douglas in
    The American President
    ;)

However, rules are rules.
    +1 GG and others
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    "...and I doubt that I'd be contributing 25 posts anytime in the near future."

I don't think he's planning on sticking around. He wants to sell his stuff in the "near future". Like tonight. He could care less about the members of this forum, or contributing to it.

McLoki nailed it in one sentence. He's VERY special, and OUR rules should not apply to HIM. Either that, or he's as dumb as a stick. If prompted, I doubt he'd tell you he was dumb.

I'm with you George. I got almost 25 posts the first day I found this site asking questions (some stupid ones at that) because I was so happy to find that the BIG SRSs were still so popular that I had to find a pair. I also was grateful to find this site so that I could catch up on a 15 years absence from the audio community. This is a quality site, let's keep it that way.

PS: Just realized this is my 500th post!!!
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    73 is a great exit. I like 68 southbound too. Man, the memories.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    PS: Just realized this is my 500th post!!!
    Congrats! Won't be long before you'll be overtaking me! :eek:

Maybe. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    polrbehr wrote:
    "Let's take him out back and beat the **** out of him!" - Michael Douglas in
    The American President
    ;)

I just finished reading that as I picked up the phone (at work) and really had to work to suppress my laughter. Nice one.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited October 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    I also don't believe you can receive or send PM's until you have 25 posts.

You can send and receive them before 25.

On the subject, I'd have to agree that he asked nicely. However, I'm a stickler for the rules. It's sometimes frustrating having to wait, but those are the rules.
  • wsemajb
    wsemajb Posts: 2
    edited October 2006
    "Let's take him out back and beat the **** out of him"
    "I just finished reading that as I picked up the phone (at work) and really had to work to suppress my laughter. Nice one."
    "If anything, the 25 posts is not enough."
    "...or he's as dumb as a stick. If prompted, I doubt he'd tell you he was dumb."
    "It means "I got **** to sell," in Swahili, no kiddin'."

My initials happen to be bjw. Middle name james. I like to use something I can remember and use it regularly. bjamesw is common enough that I was repeatedly told to choose something else whenever I'd try to join a forum. I simply reversed the letters. It's not that mysterious.

It's a good thing I had to wait until I got out of work today to see where this post has gone. I have to say this as a gentleman, married for thirty years and absolutely faithful, a father of four beautiful children, and a highly respected member of my community, that you fellows truly ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I have never, ever, under any circumstances in "real life" or on the internet, been recieved with such suspicious and unbidden hostility as I've just witnessed from you all.

I came here with a simple, honest, and sincerely humble, proposition.
    I have a pair of mint condition RT55i speakers. I do appreciate them (despite Skynut's snotty intimation that (paraphrased) "he wishes to sell them - ergo he cannot possibly know enough about them to appreciate their worth - and I need to advise him to hang around here long enough to educate himself). He knows me so well? This is one of your moderators? The above quotes from this thread represent the tenor of this forum? I love these speakers and hate like hell having to part with them!

I'm know that I could probably get 50 dollars more from these speakers simply throught the exposure of ebay. As I said, I've never ebay'd, so I was willing to offer them on a Polk dedicated forum, knowing that I very likely would sell them for less - and to someone who would certainly appreciate them - and not have to deal with the learning curve of ebay.

Thank you very much - but no thank you absolutely. This is one group I can do very well without. Again, a few of you above have every reason tonight to reflect a bit and be truly shamed. In fact, you frighten me a bit.

Good night.
    Goodbye!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    James,

I read over and over all the posts and really did not see anything scary; just different ways of explaining the rules of this forum for buying/selling...and yes, there might be some sarcasm in some of them, but definitely nothing scary. As we don't know you, you don't know us, and I can tell you there is only great people around here.

You can decide to stick and learn for yourself, or, as you did, say goodbye.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dkg999
    edited October 2006
    Yep, I looked back over the thread, and compared to the treatment on other forums for someone not wanting to follow the rules, this was pretty kind and cordial treatment. You have to have pretty thick skin to survive in the internet community! The veil of anonymity (I don't have time to figure out how to spell that one!) allows people to say things and treat people in ways that they wouldn't in a face to face encounter. It even happens in emails at work! Maybe it's the natural selection process evolved for the cyber world :eek:
    DKG999

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited October 2006
    You asked a question about the rules and asked another if you were out of line. Just because you didn't like the answers is not a reason to respond as you did. NOBODY here knows you and we have rules specifically for that reason. Either accept them or not, but don't you dare talk down to the good folks here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk