MacBook or MacBook Pro Users

2»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    as Macs are growing more and more popular, I predict they will get as many viruses and spyware as PCs do.

I still like XP over OSX, but then again, its what I've been accustomed to over the last 12 years...I've only been using a Mac for about 6 months, but I figure thatd be enough for me to start liking it if i truly thought it was better.

At this point, theres still no way I would own a Mac.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007
    I don't know why the general consensus is that PCs are not reliable. My HP Media Center PC has been rock solid reliable - not even a freeze, "End Task" or "Send Error Report" message in years.

And no, I haven't had to reformat this PC since 2001. I have had to reformat Dells due to the fact that they come with too much preloaded bloatware, though.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited April 2007
    Holy blast from the past!

I personally think the 2 GB ram is a worthwhile investment, but ONLY if you do so on your own and not through Apple.

Last I checked, it would cost ~$130 to upgrade to 1GB Ram, or ~$200 for 2GB Ram on my MacBook.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2007
    you meant do it myself (to install the RAM) rather than bought a unit with 2GB of RAM?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    I was a PC user for 12 years and switched to a Mac three and a half years ago. I had all kinds of problems w/every single PC I 've owned. But I haven't had one single issue w/my Mac. Not one. Hard to argue w/that. I'm a happy convert!

Here's a question: has anyone switched from a PC to a Mac and wished they hadn't?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    let me preface by saying, I use Windows XP at school, and my mac iBook for personal stuff, such as the A$$A e-zine. All the software for the ezine came with the 12 inch laptop. I am comfortable in both worlds, and yes both sides have features I wish the other had. But I am flat out more efficient on Macs.

First, all those howling about Macs being so much more expensive forget the value of all the quality extra software that comes on a Mac. Secondly, if you by a refurbed unit (full warranty) you can save a significant chunk of the price difference. But most important, is that even with Norton's, McAffee, AVG, etc, viruses can and do still attack, not to mention all the spyware crapola that ends up using your pc for mass emailings.

It comes down to dealing with inconvenience vs. price. Right now, for the second time in 4 months I'm having to root out the multiple viruses that have infected my wife's box. The problem is that they have attacked her documents, so I have to spend several hours cleaning them out before I can nuke and repave the hard drive. My time is worth plenty more than dealing with Windows OS.
    One of the best advantages of the Mac OS, is how programs are installed. It's like a piece of a puzzle being plugged in. In virtually every case, to remove the software all you do click and drag the icon to the trash, that's it. No .dll files left hanging everywhere to muck up the system.

Now, if you're a gamer, it's a pc world. But Demi has stated that he wants to do: Photography, Graphic Art, Music, and Video. Hands down, the Mac is a far better environment. Now, Demi, if you get into video, I highly recommend an external HD. Movie-making is code intensive, and it is much easier to nuke an external HD and work from scratch with a clean slate, especially with larger/longer movies. The movie will be cleaner and render quicker.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    I just gotta wonder what you guys do to your PCs. I never get viruses or spyware. Granted I haven't used IE in years, so that's probably a big part of it, but beyond that... how do you all have your computers get so effed up? You all know there's something called "Windows Update" that installs security patches and stuff, right?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • markmarc
    edited April 2007
    Bob:
    Unfortunately, some of my wife's business activities requires her to use IE, as Firefox (which I prefer) doesn't cooperate. Unfortunately, without a corporate IT department firewall, it's become an evil I just have to deal with as best as I can. I update regularly, once it is shown that an update doesn't harm other programs (something that is sadly, quite common).
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    polkatese wrote: »
    you meant do it myself (to install the RAM) rather than bought a unit with 2GB of RAM?

That is correct. Isn't it like a $700 upgrade through Apple? Not that difficult to change out mem, and there are plenty of reputable brands out there.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I just gotta wonder what you guys do to your PCs. I never get viruses or spyware. Granted I haven't used IE in years, so that's probably a big part of it, but beyond that... how do you all have your computers get so effed up? You all know there's something called "Windows Update" that installs security patches and stuff, right?

I am wondering the same thing too - how do people get their computers so messed up? I mean, someone here mentioned that they had to reformat a PC every 3-6 months...that's crazy!

Even my 300Mhz Pentium II Dell is still running fine, from day one. And no, I don't get viruses/spyware/etc. every 3 months.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• markmarc
    edited April 2007
    At my old school I was in charge of technology, we had micron P2 450's running ME. Never had a virus problem because all jerks wrote them for XP. That OS had issues, but virus attacks weren't one of them.

All of you who have managed to avoid attacks, consider yourself lucky, but make sure spybots aren't working in the background. You can't believe how many people I contact after getting junk mail from them have no idea their system was being used.
    2 Ch. System
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    I use IE and only got spyware on my systems once (knock on wood). So IE isn't that bad, AFAIK.

The funny thing is that I got the spyware while looking at HT system pictures on Webshots; someone had posted pics of their Home Theater and I clicked on the link, then some pop-up appeared that said "tune up your computer." I clicked the "X" and then realized that it was part of the ad, and some 8 or so spywares installed on my system.

But my experience is that IE is pretty safe for the most part.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    Why the hell do PC users always have to trash Mac threads?

A couple members have asked several Mac questions, and then hardcore PC users have to come in and "oh, I don't have any problems with MY PC, I don't know what's wrong with you guys". Good for you, but we don't care. This is not about your PC. Go start your own thread.
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2007
    Why the hell do PC users always have to trash Mac threads?

A couple members have asked several Mac questions, and then hardcore PC users have to come in and "oh, I don't have any problems with MY PC, I don't know what's wrong with you guys". Good for you, but we don't care. This is not about your PC. Go start your own thread.

:rolleyes: Tool.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    :rolleyes: Tool.

agreed. All us PC users really trashed this thread.:rolleyes:
    -Cody
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    Yes Bob, I'M a tool because I'm encouraging to keep a thread on topic. :rolleyes:

polkatese, did you pull the trigger yet? If you need some recommendations on 3rd Party ram, I'm confident several people can give you some recommendations. I've had good luck with one brand, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. As soon as I remember it, I'll let you know.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Yes Bob, I'M a tool because I'm encouraging to keep a thread on topic. :rolleyes:

polkatese, did you pull the trigger yet? If you need some recommendations on 3rd Party ram, I'm confident several people can give you some recommendations. I've had good luck with one brand, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. As soon as I remember it, I'll let you know.

look at the original post again before you accuse people of being off topic...and god forbid someone gets off topic in the off topic section of the forum:rolleyes:
    -Cody
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    I bought another PC. :D
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2007

The thread was essentially asking people for opinions on Mac vs PC laptops. Those of us who use PCs are giving our opinion that they're not as bad as the Mac Fanboys say.

You're right, that's way off topic.
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    I'm sorry... isn't the thread TITLED "MacBook or MacBook Pro Users"? I don't see how that's asking for PC users, but whatever.
    And maybe polkatese's question isn't the original, but he did bring the thread back from the dead.... Oh well. No need to get everyone's panties in a twist, I just think that the Mac input would be most beneficial at this point.

I remembered the name of the mem. It's Geil USA, and it's quality stuff for a decent price. Check it out.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Any reason I should look elsewhere?

seems to me like hes asking about PC.

What exactly did you get Demi?
    -Cody
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    seems to me like hes asking about PC.

What exactly did you get Demi?
    -Cody

I just got a new Dell laptop. I know that they may not be the best brand, but I got a really good price. I couldn't justify the price of the Mac when it was all said and done. They are incredibly easy to use, but 2K+ just didn't seem right to me.

All I need my laptop for is to track finances and be able to coordinate it with my work PC when I need to do work at home. I do a good deal of web and photoshop stuff for my website, and the Mac would have been very easy for that, but like I said -- price point seemed way too high and I can do the same stuff on my PC with programs I already own.

I think a Mac makes sense from someone who wants to start completely from scratch. If you've got a grand or two already invested in PC software it's easier to just stick with the PC.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    The thread was essentially asking people for opinions on Mac vs PC laptops. Those of us who use PCs are giving our opinion that they're not as bad as the Mac Fanboys say.

Well, I've owned both PC and mac, and each have their strengths/weaknesses.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Ive had my dell XPS desktop for 4 years now with no problems except for having to reinstall windows once a few months ago.

I bought a Dell XPS laptop for school 2 years ago and I've yet to have one single problem with it. They make great products, even if the company was started by a TU dropout.
    -Cody
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I think a Mac makes sense from someone who wants to start completely from scratch. If you've got a grand or two already invested in PC software it's easier to just stick with the PC.

That's definitely true. I made the switch to a Macbook from a Powerbook a year or so back. I had Adobe Creative Suite on the Powerbook... my dad had a copy of the Educator's Edition. Unfortunately, the Intels don't support it, and I used that software all the time! I couldn't justify buying the new software... in fact, I'm not even sure if Adobe offers an Intel-friendly version yet.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2007
    Dane, thanks for the information. No, I haven't pull the trigger, but will in the next few weeks. I am intrigue by the comments from a few of hardcore friends who convert to MacBook Pro. I am squarely has always been on the PC side, mainly because I used to provide networking and desktop supports, back in my previous life, and it was mainly driven by lack of compatibility with Windows' software. Now that I have the opportunity to test out the other side, I've been doing my research around Apple, and as it turned out, it is a lot more sophisticated in its user friendliness and integration to Audio/Video. So, not to pick side, I am going to check it out myself. Just like DVD-A/SACD, why choose when I have the opportunity to test both?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • markmarc
    edited April 2007
    Demi:
    Hope the Dell works out for you. My only recommendation with any laptop is the extended warranty. Just too damn expensive to repair not to have one.
    2 Ch. System
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    this is way off topic but for you pc usersthat have virus problems it is most likely from the places you surf and your antivirus software. I've used macafee or what ever it is when I first got on-line and had nothing but troubles. After switching to avg I had less problems, still same surfing habits. I then switched to antivir, what are viruses is all I had to say. After 2 years with ativir(no vista support) I switched back to avg. Avg has grown up some. It will detect a virus before it gets a chance to do any damage(like when I open a web page that is infected). Both of the previously mentioned are free versions so you really can't lose. As far as spyware goes your gonna get it if your into web sites that are not pc or have a vast user base ie. looking up ****, and other objectionable matrial, myspace<(my wifes favorite spyware shopping grounds) webshots, and other "community" type web sites.

And I am still convinced that viruses are writen 80%by mac users who run virtual xp and know macs are the best. 15% by windows users who like killing their own computer and 5% by linux users who want everyone to switch.